January 2017 Moms
Options

Pregnancy Symptom Grab-bag of Horrors

2»

Re: Pregnancy Symptom Grab-bag of Horrors

• Options
    @canavara Yes!! I just kinda did the same thing. My fatigue rivals that of week 8. Finally realized today that H and I are only eating meat twice a week. Are you going to call your OB or just wait until your next appt? 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Options
    Charley horses anyone?  Like, what the hell is that about! Ouch!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @justjaney  yes!! Twice this week in the middle of the night.  So painful!

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    cjs260 said:
    @canavara Yes!! I just kinda did the same thing. My fatigue rivals that of week 8. Finally realized today that H and I are only eating meat twice a week. Are you going to call your OB or just wait until your next appt? 
    I was just going to wait until next appt--I already replaced my prenatals with Rainbow Light Women's One (which have 167% of the RDA for iron). I was doing low-iron on the prenatal because it made me sick to my stomach during first trimester, but my doula had mentioned taking prenatals at night directly after dinner and sure enough, that helps. Did you already call your OB?
  • Options
    @canavara @cjs260 I felt like I was beginning to become anemic around week 16. I switched my prenatal because my original had no iron at all. I finally found a prenatal that had both DHA and iron and that's what I'm taking now. It's a little annoying because it's 3 pills a day (one at every meal) and smells horrible from the algae, but I haven't had any anemia symptoms since. And I also had a CBC after switching and my levels were great. 
  • Options
    @canavara @cjs260 @LoneStar21416 I mentioned to my MW yesterday that I've been feeling more fatigued lately and she said I can try taking an iron supplement from now on. I think my practice normally tests iron levels at 28 weeks because that's around the time an iron deficiency can manifest as fatigue, due to the increased blood flow. But she said it's fine to take a liquid iron supplement - Floradix - for now, in addition to my regular prenatal.

I think because Floradix is plant based and not synthetic iron it is safe to take even if you don't have confirmed anemia. I've actually taken it in the past with good results. The only issue I have with it now is you're supposed to take it on an empty stomach, i.e., first thing in the morning, and wait 30 minutes before eating. But let's be honest, I wake up ravenous every morning and I'm not sure I can wait a full 30 minutes before putting food in my mouth. 
  • Options
    @LoneStar21416 How long did it take before you saw an improvement in symptoms?

My next OB appointment is exactly a week from now and I'm kind of curious if a week's worth of decent iron intake will even out my Hb levels by then. Probably going to hold off on taking any additional supplements until confirmed with bloodwork just in case the fatigue somehow isn't connected to anemia (but really, I'd be shocked if it weren't given the circumstances)
  • Options
    @canavara I honestly felt a difference in a few days. And that was from going from zero iron (in my prenatal, not including whatever I did get from my diet) to 100% of RDA in the new prenatal - no supplement. 
  • Options
    Now I'm questioning my iron levels. My doctor is testing my levels at the same time as my glucose screening though, so I'll be interested in the results. My first trimester I tested well, but I was taking chelated iron. The doctor advised me to stop until my nausea settled (although it still hasn't settled). I've been exhausted lately and weirdly craving red meat (tacos, chili, Red Robin burgers), so it could make sense. Maybe I'll just start again. I'm so over feeling tired, but already fear I may never poop again. 
  • Options
    @canavara I think I'm going to switch my prenatal, then call the OB if it's not better by the end of next week. 

Thanks everyone for all the advice! 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker