RPL Study — The Bump
TTC After a Loss

RPL Study

KyCade3013KyCade3013 member
250 Love Its 100 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited September 2016 in TTC After a Loss
Hi All, just got my RPL paperwork from the MFM and on the first page it states a study. It's a Danish study that says your chances of loss for 1 loss, 2 losses and so on and compares to under 35 vs over 35. It basically said if you have two losses in a row is increases your chances of miscarriage from 10-20% to 23% and did not find it that relatively significant for women under 35. It went on to talk about rolling a 6 sided dice and that the probability of rolling a 6 twice is not that unlikely and can happen by chance. It further went on to say that this may be the reason why 50% or more RPL cases go undiagnosed, they could purely happen by chance. Has anyone else heard this? I was kind of annoyed because I felt like it gives false hope to the patient when something could be seriously wrong and I just have no clue until tests are done or maybe ill
never know but technology isn't advanced enough to find out. Anyways - thought I'd ask!!! 

Re: RPL Study

  • I agree with you. I am 37 with 2 losses and was told I have a 25% chance of miscarrying again if I try naturally. Thats a great statistic, but it doesn't take into consideration individual factors such as PCOS, low AMH, etc. Those conditions, without intervention, increase your risk. I get pregnant very easily, so I might be superfertile. 
    Age 38, H 37
    Married 8/15
    Pregnancy #1, MMC, D&C November/December 2015
    Pregnancy #2, Dx with Triploidy,MMC, D&C May 2016
    Pregnancy #3 BFP 10/20/2016- EDD 7/01/2017
    Hannah Sari was born on June 26, 2017
  • I was basically told that most of the type with RPL, progesterone and a baby aspirin are enough in 60% of women to then go on to have a healthy pregnancy. I actually got that same number from both my MFM and RE. To me that still leaves a 40% chance of failure which seems high. I have been the less than 1% of people with almost everything so I try not to set and expectations by statistics anymore. 
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017






    chloe97RiverSong15
  •     
  • I was basically told that most of the type with RPL, progesterone and a baby aspirin are enough in 60% of women to then go on to have a healthy pregnancy. I actually got that same number from both my MFM and RE. To me that still leaves a 40% chance of failure which seems high. I have been the less than 1% of people with almost everything so I try not to set and expectations by statistics anymore. 
    ^^^^^^^Yes to all of that^^^^^

    It reminds me of that stupid "your chance of MC by week" post that makes the rounds on the BMBs. I lost my pregnancies at 10 and 13 weeks, giving me a less than 2% risk 2 times in a row. So yeah, I don't like statistics either.
    Age 38, H 37
    Married 8/15
    Pregnancy #1, MMC, D&C November/December 2015
    Pregnancy #2, Dx with Triploidy,MMC, D&C May 2016
    Pregnancy #3 BFP 10/20/2016- EDD 7/01/2017
    Hannah Sari was born on June 26, 2017
  • Thanks Ladies. Exactly why this study on the first page of my packet none the less, really bothered me. I've been the 1% too!
    chloe97
  •     
  • I hate that miscarriage by week board that I found on my October BMB it gave me such a false security and I think blindsided me when I mc at 10 weeks. I have been in 1% group a few times with this too so statistics don't really comfort me anymore. I just met with my RE for the first time this week and she said mostly the same thing that even after 2 losses that my chance of going on to have a healthy pregnancy were "high". I kind of like the rolling of the dice analogy though bec I guess eventually you have to stop rolling a 6.


    **Question** Did anyone start taking Baby Aspirin as a precautionary measure? I forgot to ask my dr about it at my appt but I am afraid she will say if I don't have a clotting disorder ( which she already suspects that I don't) there is no need to take it. I have read that it could help and it seems like it can't hurt so I thought there could be no harm in taking it? Any thoughts on this? I will talk to my dr too but just wanted to see what other people had found about this.
  • @TScalei I take a baby aspirin but I am homozygous MTHFR so I have to take mine for life. Most doctors have a "why joy add it" mentality unless you have any known bleeding conditions. It's only 81mg so very minimal risk associated with taking it daily 
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017






    TScalei
  •     
  • RiverSong15RiverSong15 member
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    edited September 2016
    chloe97 said:
    I was basically told that most of the type with RPL, progesterone and a baby aspirin are enough in 60% of women to then go on to have a healthy pregnancy. I actually got that same number from both my MFM and RE. To me that still leaves a 40% chance of failure which seems high. I have been the less than 1% of people with almost everything so I try not to set and expectations by statistics anymore. 
    ^^^^^^^Yes to all of that^^^^^

    It reminds me of that stupid "your chance of MC by week" post that makes the rounds on the BMBs. I lost my pregnancies at 10 and 13 weeks, giving me a less than 2% risk 2 times in a row. So yeah, I don't like statistics either.
    That list is based on dubious numbers to begin with and most people on the BMBs don't understand how to interpret statistics. Even IF these numbers weren't pulled from someone's BLOG and were actually legit, those stats would only apply for people whose pregnancy was progressing normally. Until you get to your first appointments, you don't know what your risk really is. Hate hate hate that chart.

    It also doesn't help that the Nov 16 BMB called us loss moms "fear mongerers" for pointing this out. 



    chloe97szwill86
  • @TScalei When I had one APS antibody come back slightly elevated, my OB said we'd add in baby aspirin. When I asked if I could take it even if my repeat bloodwork came back negative for clotting disorders, she said yes. I'd talk to your doctor, but mine, at least, didn't see any harm in it.
    TScalei
  •     
  • @TScalei I am on baby aspirin too.  I have a blood clotting issue I guess and am now on it.






    TScalei
  • I will also be on BA once I get a BFP - and might start adding it in after ovulation in another cycle or two. I am compound Homo MTHFR - but that hasn't stopped me from having two previous children so who knows if it really is a factor in my recent loss (my OB and others I have talked to think it is not and as a PhD, I try really really hard to believe MDs)
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
    TScalei
  •     
  • My first APS test came out positive, but my second one was negative, so my RE said not to worry. I'm not taking the aspiring or heparin.

    when I had my first test, my prolactin was still high, and now it's under control with medication. I also had high insulin and now under control with metformin.

    After 2 MC stats are sad for me too, and I am trying to keep my hopes up. My doctor says that there is no reason to not be hopeful according to my current health. This cycle I am trying naturally, still scared about mc again.... Next cycle will be medicated and supervised... I hope that will ease my worries.
    Married 06.21.14 / TTC since 11.15 /
    BFP 01.03.2016 / MMC 6w5d D&C 02.2016 // BFP 05.06.16 / natural MC 05.12.16
    Benched 06.2016-08.2016 / TTC again 09.2016! On a diet. Cranky.
    BFP 10.02.2016 / NT scan at 12w looked normal / Anatomy scan at 20w everything ok
    Team blue! / EDD June 11th 2017
    DAVID ROGER was born on May 23rd at 37 weeks.

    Architect, Peruvian living in Chile. I love art, opera and good chocolate.
    Started PhD studies in Architecture on 2017.
    Fur mom of a rescued miniature poodle called Luke Skywalker.


    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was added on baby aspirin after talking to a MFM specialist after my second loss. Her opinion was that for my situation it couldn't hurt.

    TTGP January Siggy - How to Stay Warm

    See the source image

    Me: 33    DH: 36
    MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    Married: Nov. 7, 2015
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks) 
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    Additional RPL testing March-November 2017

    TScalei
  •     
  • @dpjennifer - do you start taking the baby aspirin after you ovulate or do you take it all the time with a pre natal?
  • @TScalei I'm taking one every day with a pre-natal, regardless of ovulation.

    TTGP January Siggy - How to Stay Warm

    See the source image

    Me: 33    DH: 36
    MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    Married: Nov. 7, 2015
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks) 
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    Additional RPL testing March-November 2017

    TScalei
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards