October 2016 Moms
Options

Labor and All of it's Glory

Re: Labor and All of it's Glory

• Options
    @MrsB627 I've been there a few times for what turned out to be watery discharge, so you're not the only one! Lol.

I've actually been wet for the last few days and I've been hesitant to go in because I'm assuming it's more of the same. I'm tired of spending hours in L&D triage thinking I'm leaking when I'm not.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    Yes, you will receive all types of responses about how how contractions actually feel.

I actually went into L&D at 29 weeks due to sudden onset of diarrhea and period like cramps. I honestly thought I caught a bug from eating take out. Turns out I was in labor! Real labor! The period like cramps were changing my cervix.

Everyone is different...

Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    How come my doc doesn't tell me this "you're ___% effaced, ___% dilated" nothing like that!  She hasn't checked my cervix, etc.  Is that normal?  
  • Options
    How come my doc doesn't tell me this "you're ___% effaced, ___% dilated" nothing like that!  She hasn't checked my cervix, etc.  Is that normal?  
    Mine hasn't checked anything either.  All I know is my fluids are good because I get growth US every 4 weeks (last one was last week).  I would like to know if I'm starting to dilate and stuff.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    nlane0723nlane0723 member
    edited September 2016
    My real contractions start from the back and go low into my pelvis. Then they flow up my abdomen until they hit the top of my uterus. Feel like period/bubble gut cramps.

With DD, my water broke before I had contractions and they just felt like menstrual cramps.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • Options
    Is everyone's BH's/contractions lasting more than a couple of seconds at this point? How long are you guys experiencing them for?
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Mine last between 30 seconds and 1 minute. I have never had them last for only a few seconds. 
  • Options
    @LauraPCOS Hang in there!  I had a painful week last week, and thought I was doomed for the rest of her residency.  Things have made a complete turnaround this week (well....maybe like 80% turnaround), and I feel like a new woman.  Tomorrow may change, but for now I rejoice.
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • Options
    Ahhhhh, okay makes sense.  Thanks @sjo_thetwins!  Next week when I'm 36, they're swabbing too, for GBS
  • Options
    @annabenanna Mine doesn't start checking until 38 weeks unless symptoms show a need to otherwise. They don't want to start anything too early. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    @annabenanna
    I haven't had my cervix checked either.  I figure because I've had no indications of baby being ready to come, it's still too early.  (I'm 34+4)
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • Options
    @annabenanna My doctor told me I'll have my first cervix check at my next appointment. I'll be 35w4d. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    krzyriverkrzyriver member
    edited September 2016
    @annabenanna I've been checked when I was in L&D, but my OB hasn't checked me. Probably because it's too early and she reads the L&D notes before we start.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    All so interesting, how all docs do things differently.  So curious now what will happen at my next appointment!
  • Options
    Had my first cervix check today at 35 weeks, but I was having my GBS too so it was more of a let's just check while we're down there type thing, then starting next week she'll check every week. I also found out that baby is transverse right now so nothing happening with the cervix yet. Hoping LO will move into the head down position soon!
  • Options
    What surprised me with DS was that my body did the pushing without me consciously doing it. Everything I'd seen or read made it sound like your doctor tells you when to push and then you bear down, but it wasn't like that. one second I was just contracting and the next my body was pushing. The doctor kept telling me to push slower and ask I could think was 'I don't know how!'

• Options
    My contractions felt nothing like period cramps. A hardening feeling that took up my whole midsection. It was like this hard ball that was radiating pain out of all sides. 

I will say, though, for me thy weren't as bad as I was expecting. I started with early labor around 4 p.m., and they didn't get bad enough that I had to concentrate through each one until 11 p.m. Once that happened, I labored at home until 8:30 a.m. the next day. I even let DH sleep from 11-4:30 or so that night. 

So, don't despair! You never know how your labor will go. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Mine checked my cervix this week (35 weeks), but there's nothing to tell since I still have my cerclage in. My contractions were pretty mild with my DD until they put me on pitocin. Pitocin contractions are a b*tch! 
  • Options
    When I went into labor with my first, I just remember being on my hands and knees on the living room floor thinking "wtf have I done".
     I am having a lot of BH right now and some are really uncomfortable but until I get the "oh what the hell did I get myself into" kind of pain then I am not too worried.
  • Options
    Wow I just learned so much! This is a great thread! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married 11-11-11
    TTC only since Dec 2015. I had some weight to get off. Been working hard in the gym for over a year.
    BFP 02-15-16 with our first
    IT'S A BOY!!! 

• Options
    Do cervix checks (during labor or before) hurt? People seem uncomfortable getting checks done during labor... But that's on some TLC show I saw years ago.

How do they know to check your fluid if you don't get any US done after the AS? 
  • Options
    Okay so what does a contraction REALLY feel like?  Is it like a period cramp?  Or like a "omg i have to poop it hurts" kind of pain?  Doc says I'll feel it on my entire belly.... and so far my BH contractions have been painless.  Just a hardening sensation.  

So when it's the real thing, what does it feel like?
    I know it's cliche to say you'll know the real thing, but you will. Your whole belly will get tight and it's more intense than period cramps. My contractions wrap around to my lower back. It's a sharp pain that lasts around a minute. I didn't get the "I need to poop" sensation until I was ready to push. That pressure is undeniable.
    I agree. I had lots of BH with my first pregnancy and once my water broke and I felt real contractions- I mean it was pain. I couldn't even stand up- I had to hold onto the counter or the bed and I was bend over. I had back labor and contractions. You honestly, just know. 
  • Options
    @bnsmith85 I don't remember them being super  painful but I think people worry about inducing labor or introducing bacteria. I think when they measure your belly they get an idea of your fluid. Of course this is all guessing on my part! 

• Options
    @bnsmith85 I think cervical checks are uncomfortable but not painful. I have a friend who said they hurt though. So I'm sure it depends on how low baby is, if you're dilated, your own body shape, etc. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• Options
    My cervix checks never hurt, but I get uncomfortable just because I'm laying flat on my back for them. 
  • Options
    @LauraPCOS my BH also fluctuate between 30 seconds to a minute. When I first started having them (14 weeks) they were closer to 15 seconds probably but never just a few seconds.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @bnsmith85 Like @waterfall213, I find cervix checks uncomfortable but not painful.  As for fluid checks, I think they assume you're fine unless you're leaking.  If you're leaking fluid, they'll probably send you for an ultrasound to check.  (Just realized this sounds like I'm talking about a car being taken to the mechanic.)
  • Options
    @bnsmith85 I asked the fluid question the other day but can't remember where. I think it was that if you start measuring small and they have concern about fluid and/or growth then they'd do an U/S to check on things. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    @LauraPCOS most of my contractions are fairly short (30-60 seconds), but I had some last week that were 5-10 minutes long.
  • Options
    @bnsmith85 with DS I was being check for low fluid via US after leaking fluid and not growing each week accordingly.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Great info! Thanks all!
  • Options
    serenaxo84serenaxo84 member
    edited September 2016
    They can totally check fluid levels on an ultrasound but if you are unsure if your water broke or is leaking, they can do a swab check at L&D which is painless. But the swab changes color if it is AF
  • Options
    @bnsmith85 I've been wondering the same thing about checking fluids without an ultrasound so I'm glad you asked! We aren't supposed to have anymore US.
  • Options
    I find anything involving my cervix getting touched to be painful, tbh. Pap smears or other gyno exams are hell. With DS, I didn't get cervical checks until I was in labor and I plan the same thing this time. People just need to keep their hands out of my snatch, lol. 

And the question about what contractions feel like: imagine one of those grandiose wrestling belts (WWE style) around you, centered at about your belly button. Then imagine cinching it tight for 15-30 seconds then let go. As time goes on, the cinching gets tighter and holds for longer. 

• Options
    @ashleyp625 I can't wait until that rings true, but for now, they are cookin! 

I did however have my first painful contractions tonight. No idea what that means, lol. 
  • Options
    @sjo_thetwins That like was for the first sentence, obviously. Not the second! ;) 
  • Options
    Mine said she'd check at my next appt (36w) and then weekly

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I don't really know what thread this would go under, but I was looking at the virtual tour of the hospital. One picture is labeled "nst room", and it has FIVE beds in it! I tried to Google what an nst room is, but to no avail. The only results are non stress tests. Does anyone know what this room is??