October 2016 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 09.05.16

Re: Weekly Randoms 09.05.16

• Options
    Geez, the worst I've gotten is "oh, your belly is really small for how far along you are". Which I guess is sort of a compliment? I feel huge, so it sounds nice to me!

My mother didn't exactly tell me to hold the baby in, but I know she's praying we deliver after she has the repeat CT scan of her lungs. They found a growth and they're not sure what it is. It doesn't look like cancer, but they're concerned it might be infectious and don't want her around the baby even though she's not showing any symptoms. 

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    The only person that told me to wait is my friend, she's throwing me a baby shower on the 18th of Sept (not due until the 10th of Oct, but you never know!) so I told her I'd cross my legs lol.

@von1976 FX all is well with mom!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    von1976von1976 member
    edited September 2016

@LauraPCOS Nothing doing with me. My contractions petered out after 13 hours or so. Hugely disappointing, but I guess it's better for baby to cook for a bit more.

And I just realized you meant MY mom, not me as mom. LOL. My mom is fine. It could be anything, but the doctor isn't that concerned, so neither am I. If they were really concerned, they would have scheduled her immediately for a bronchoscopy or a biopsy instead of a repeat CT.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    @von1976 LOL yes I meant your mom, but good to know you're cooking a little longer :p
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Agreed @von1976, happy that you can cook a bit longer! And I also don't like the comment about looking small, I feel like it's a veiled "what's wrong with your tiny baby?". But, people always think it's ok to say because it's a compliment! 
  • Options
    Okay here is something that maybe needs its own thread, but I didn't want to clog up the L&D thresd. But I was just sitting here thinking to myself.

If my water broke and I had one last hour at home what would you do? 

Me- I would vacuum, install the car seat, clean the kitchen up, run the dishwasher and call my mom to get the kids and my husband home from work! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I REALLY hope I get to take a shower before we go, so I'll say shower and shave my legs. 
  • Options
    @Schell2013 You sound very productive! I'd probably eat something and take a good long shower! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    @Schell2013 That's a productive hour! I'm on the shower and food train. And maybe just sit in the nursery and try to take it all in. (Well, as much as I can when DS would be climbing all over me). 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Has @AllyTheKid popped up anywhere yesterday or today? I've been thinking about you, lady! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @Schell2013 Ooo good question! I'd have to scoop the litter box and make sure they have extra food and water and the dog's bag is ready to go.  Then I'd grab a shower, shave my legs, do a bit of maintenance if I could.  I'd grab the car seat and any thing we felt couldn't get packed (like my pillow).  If I had time and wasn't completely freaked out, I'd want to do the dishes, but who are we kidding I can't be bothered to do them now lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Lol I think the main reason I would vacuum is cause 1. Dirty floor makes me crazy. 2. If I had a c section it would be a month before I could again. 
    And nobody wants stinky dishes! 
  • Options
    NoraAuroraNoraAurora member
    edited September 2016
    @schell2013 - with DS I showered & shaved. Now that I have DS to think about, it would be calling the in-laws & waiting the 1-2 hours for them to get here to watch him. However if I'm GBS+ again I would probably have to go in asap, so I would just pack a bag and go while my H waited with DS for his parents. 

But if I did have a little time, I'd probably still shower/shave, run the dishwasher, take out the trash, and put new sheets on our bed for the in-laws (since our new room still isn't done yet). 

ETA: due 10/1 and still don't have that carseat....oops
  • Options
    @NoraAurora I have mine, but it's been 2 years since I've installed it! I should really get on it since I have never carried a baby to my due date, the likely hood of me having my baby early again is quite high!
  • Options
    Lol @bnsmith85!

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    @serenaxo84 Thanks for the reassurance!  I know it will work out eventually, just dealing with that initial "don't want anyone to have what's supposed to be mine" feeling - super childish, but can't help it!!  We spend so much time growing this little one and have such a unique one on one connection it's hard to think we have to share them soon!  I very much want my mom to have such a special relationship with her grandchild, like I did with my grandmother...but I still want to be baby's #1! :)  And, you're right, being that it's my mom we can more easily talk about things if/when they become an issue.
  • Options

Had a big group hangout with some friends last night, and there were two babies there. One born in July, the other in August, both girls. But daaaaaaaang they were so different looking! The 7-week old looked HUGE in comparison to the 3 week-old! Everyone was so shocked to see how much growth happens so soon! It was crazy!

Husband still didn't want to hold either of the babies though, poor guy. He kept going over to them and tickling their feet and getting them to grab his pinky with their tiny fingers, but was against holding them. He just kept saying "I'll wait until it's our baby." I think he's afraid they'll start crying the second he gets them and then he won't know what to do.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    LMNOBaby said:
    @serenaxo84 Thanks for the reassurance!  I know it will work out eventually, just dealing with that initial "don't want anyone to have what's supposed to be mine" feeling - super childish, but can't help it!!  We spend so much time growing this little one and have such a unique one on one connection it's hard to think we have to share them soon!  I very much want my mom to have such a special relationship with her grandchild, like I did with my grandmother...but I still want to be baby's #1! :)  And, you're right, being that it's my mom we can more easily talk about things if/when they become an issue.
    100% get this. My LO has a real attachment to my MIL and it really bothered me at first- no real reason why I love my MIL- She is seriously amazing. But I just felt like second best whenever she was around! Total emotional response! Sometimes I still get bothered but I know I am always DS #1. I think it's great that you're already thinking about this and coming to terms with having those feelings- it won't be a shock!
  • Options
    Also Beetle Juicing @AllyTheKid - has anyone heard from her?

I'm really late to the game on catching up. But, I fortunately haven't had anything but nice comments from strangers. A few men have been like "you're getting close!" but I was fine with that. Others have just said how great I look. My annoyance is with women, I am acquainted with, who should know better to say anything other than a true compliment. My admin saw me for the first time in a couple of weeks and was like "are you sure there aren't twins in there?!" while a fellow co-worked had just said how good I looked. So like WTF?
    Me: 31
    DH: 32

Married: Sep 2012
    TTC #1: Jan 2015
    Baby A (via IUI due to MFI): Sep 2016 born at 35+6

Surprise but very welcome + on 5/16/2019, EDD 1/25/2020
  • Options
    bamacoop said:

Husband still didn't want to hold either of the babies though, poor guy. He kept going over to them and tickling their feet and getting them to grab his pinky with their tiny fingers, but was against holding them. He just kept saying "I'll wait until it's our baby." I think he's afraid they'll start crying the second he gets them and then he won't know what to do.
    This is me. I don't like holding babies, at all! I'm afraid I'll hold them wrong, or drop them, that they'll spittle/pee/poop on me, and of them crying. I'm hoping it'll be different when it's my own baby :#
    +1 to this! I love other people's kids at the toddler age, but prior to that...have never really had any interest. And I find wherever I go now where there are babies, people feel the need to come hand them to me because they think I want to hold them to "practice". How do you say, "Nah I'd rather not?!"
  • Options
    Kaytee1087Kaytee1087 member
    edited September 2016
    @F47 I used to take work home, but then I asked if I could have VPN access to our network so I didn't have to take everything home on a flash drive (our field service engineers have access, and I know some other employees do too) but I was denied, so I stopped taking work home. If you want me to catch up, you can help me. Otherwise I'll do my best to get it done between the hours of 8am and 4:45pm and they can deal with it if it isn't done.

And I am totally on the I-can't-concentrate train. My boss is on a sales trip out of the country, has been most of this week and will be most of next week, and I'm pretty sure my motivation left the country with him. I have a few more things I HAVE to do before I leave (mostly just teaching the other admins some of the things I do) and that's as far as I think I can get lol. The rest of this can wait.

@CopperBoom86 Ha! What a weirdo! Why do people feel the need to say this stuff? And why am I continually surprised that they do? lol

@Schell2013 Shower and eat!! I'm pretty sure the hospital won't let me eat "just in case" so I'm going in with a full freaking stomach lol and as clean and smelling good as I can be, because who knows when I'll be that clean and smelling good again lol. And finish packing as much as I could, grab the car seat, call the doula/DH/my mom/anybody else that needs told, and get DD somewhere, preferably with my mom (the plan is to have her with my mom, but who knows if my mom will be in a meeting or something...). I have a very ambitious hour lol. I guess my priority would be eat and shower, and DD. The rest, DH and my doula could handle if I needed them to.
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!
  • Options
    @bamacoop my husband is the same way, if I baby can't hold it's head he won't hold them cause he's afraid of breaking them.  As soon as they can hold their head, then he's all for it, and the older the get the more involved he gets cause he loves chasing and playing with them.  Funny me - gimme the baby that is tiny doesn't do anything, the kid that's running around like a crazy kid, I'm all meh!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Kaessi said:
    +1 to this! I love other people's kids at the toddler age, but prior to that...have never really had any interest. And I find wherever I go now where there are babies, people feel the need to come hand them to me because they think I want to hold them to "practice". How do you say, "Nah I'd rather not?!"
    YES! I've experienced this countless times! And I always tell them no lol. I ain't scurred! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @MorganL925 there is another thread that is poking @AllyTheKid but I can't remember which one.  She mentioned feeling like her kid was coming and then disappeared so we think she is having (had) her baby and now we're just waiting on the announcement.  I had a dream about her going home with her baby last night so when I was up at 5am for a pee I checked to see if there was an announcement lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Ugh, DD just went home sick from school. She's had a sore throat for a week, went to the doc yesterday. Doc said just ibuprofen and salt water gargle. Today she has a fever. It was grandparents day so my mom was there and took her home to DH, who also is feeling under the weather. Good thing I have a few "new" movies stashed away for such a day of laying around feeling like crap... =(
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!
  • Options

Yes on the baby holding!

Turns out it was a good thing no one took the baby last night (my friend said, "If anyone wants to volunteer to take her......" but no one did). About 10 minutes after that comment, Baby peed all over her mom's leg. So I looked at H and was like "Ah. Good call, sir."

I'm kind of the same way, and I mentioned that to the group to everyone's enjoyment because I couldn't get my words out and was all "It's scary to hold someone else's baby, because what if I drop it or something? At least if it's my own kid, then I've just dropped my own kid and not someone else's. But... but I mean... I don't want to drop my kid either. I mean, I'm not going to drop anyone's kid, just that... you know... at least I can only be mad at myself if I drop my own kid.... but you know.... I mean.... ugh, whatever."

I also don't like people assuming I want to see a baby/hold a baby/be alerted to the presence of a baby because I'm pregnant. Like, dude, I'm excited about my baby, but let's be honest... I don't really care about yours, work acquaintance. I know that sounds bad, but come on. Just because I'm pregnant doesn't automatically mean I love all babies everywhere and need to stop what I'm doing to go find them and play with them. I like my nephew and my kids' babies because I'm actually close with my family and my friends. But other babies are just meh. (I mean... if I see one that's cool and all.... but don't try to get me to hold it or literally call me to say "someone in the building brought their baby to work today! you should go see him!")

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I love holding a baby but then I get awkward thinking the mom is judging me that I'm doing something the "wrong way".  I can't wait Til I can just hold my own baby! 
  • Options
    I want to hold ALL of the babies! I don't judge people for not wanting to hold my baby though. We had dinner with DH's boss and his boss told me that he would not be holding our baby because tiny babies make him uncomfortable. I told him that was just fine, if he's uncomfortable holding babies, I definitely don't want him to hold my newborn.  :)
  • Options
    bnsmith85 said:
    I'm not afraid to hold babies, like at all... but I just think they're kind of boring until they start doing things like laughing at you and sitting up. Once they do that... give me all the babies.
    I don't have much experience with holding babies, so when my friend's fiance had theirs last year and handed her over to me I was terrified. Then she started doing things and make noises and I was in love. And then she farted on me and for some reason I thought it was the cutest thing ever. I'm going to be one of those moms... "OMG SHE FARTED! ISN'T THAT AMAZING?!"
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    If there is a baby around and the momma offers, I'm holding it! I won't generally ask though. I don't want a new momma to feel uncomfortable or pressured. If it's not offered to me I just admire from a distance.
  • Options
    kmtz89kmtz89 member
    edited September 2016
    Basically all of my neighbors have been having babies and its customary to go greet them a few days after and bring some kind of gift and they always immediately hand me their baby and talk about me practicing because mine is next...

All of them know I work with babies/toddlers and am constantly around them. Apparently not practice enough? hah

I am worried though about how many people I'll be expected to hand my baby to...  :#
    *American lady living in Tanzania, East Africa, since 2013
    DH - Tanzanian
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior- OHS at 7 months old
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB: November 19, 2013)
    March 2021 - Bonus daughter, N, moved in with us (DOB: June 6, 2014)
    BFP #3 - April 25, 2024 -- EDD January 2, 2025
  • Options
    I have another random. I think all pregnant mamas, 36 weeks or more, should get complimentary handicapped stickers for the final few weeks. I just went to the grocery store and was so disappointed they didn't have expectant mother parking (though not surprised they didn't; I get spoiled because BRU does and so does our mall, and doc's offices).
    Yes! Our grocery store has Mother with Children parking. I mean technically I have my child with me....does that count??