November 2016 Moms
Options

C-Section/VBAC check-in #1

I'll run this bi-weekly until we've had a few deliveries!  This is a check-in for anyone who is or is considering having a c-section, repeat c-section, or a VBAC.  The questions will stay pretty simple until more deliveries.

• Tell us a bit about why you having a c-section, repeat c-section, or a VBAC:
  • How are you feeling about it?
  • BTDT Moms, any advice?
  • GTKY: What food are your currently craving?

Re: C-Section/VBAC check-in #1

• Options
    Tell us a bit about why you having a c-section, repeat c-section, or a VBAC:
    I'll be having my fourth c-section mid-November, apparently I grow large babies, but have a narrow pubic arch, making vaginal deliveries difficult.  I was induced with my first, after about 12 hours I only reached 2cm, after his heart monitor went off and an internal monitor was placed on him, I was given the choice to try pitocin but probably need a c-section or to go straight to the c-section.  We decided to go with the c-section.  My second I went into the labor the day before my scheduled repeat c-section, and once again no progression after 13 hours of labor (only 1cm), we decided to have the RCS that evening.    My third waited until his scheduled c-section, and I hope this one does too.  (Its pretty rare to find a doctor who will VBAC after 2CS for those of you wondering.) I am also leaning towards having my tubes tied, so this another reason the RCS makes sense, since they can do it all at once.

How are you feeling about it?
    I've had pretty good recoveries, but the whole spinal block/major surgery still creep me out when I think about it.  Also I am dealing more with the things related to the tubal - its a tough decision, and even though I know it makes the most sense, part of me is very much what if we want a fifth someday, even though I know we are not in a place mentally, physically, spatially, or financially to make a fifth child work (and 4 is already a lot for DH).

BTDT Moms, any advice?
    If you have other little ones at home, this is a good time to start training them to do things to help you during recovery (dressing self, climbing up & down stairs, buckling car seats - depending on their age).

GTKY: What food are your currently craving? cupcakes - my one son's birthday was yesterday, and despite it being 9am, I just snuck one :)
  • Options
    I'm having another c-section (#3) because my first daughter was 8 lbs 11 oz and I apparently couldn't push her out. Her little head was stuck. My second was a schedule repeat and I honestly had zero stress and was so content with that decision. 

I'm mentally prepared for another but the thought of not being in pain and getting the spinal block makes me anxious. I think I will request some meds to take the edge off that when I go in. It's different when you're in labor and wanting pain relief! 

My advice: if this is going to be your first C, know that you may get nauseated during surgery. Let the anesthesiologist know and they can put rubbing alcohol under your nose with a tub just in case. The alcohol does help though! Also, take a pillow with you so that you can hold it on your abdomen for the ride home. Once you get home your incision may drain a lot, I would put a maxi pad across it and attach to my underwear at the worst times. It just helps keep everything dry and more comfortable. 

Im currently craving my moms chocolate fudge. Which I may ask her to make a few months early. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bzzrbee28bzzrbee28 member
    edited August 2016
    • Tell us a bit about why you having a c-section, repeat c-section, or a VBAC: I had a c section with my daughter because they measured her to be large (she ended up only 8lbs-8 oz. They estimated her at the high end of 9's) and somehow (dont ask me how) the drs calculated the the chance of her getting stuck and breaking her shoulder (shoulder dystocia) were way higher than average.  I had had a friend who had a baby the month before and the baby didnt fit and she ended in an emergency c-section so i think thats what influenced me to make the decision i did. It wasnt worth hurting the baby. Oh and I had reached 41 weeks with zero signs of labor...not even dilated enough to induce. 
    • How are you feeling about it? So now its been almost 3 years and the drs said i could have a repeat c-section or try a VBAC...i had always just assumed i would have a repeat, but now given the option i feel like I have to try VBAC...like people will think less of me if i dont try- this is so dumb because i really dont care what people think about me 99% of the time. I had such an easy recovery that it scares me to think of what labor would be like. Also, im worried with the painkillers you go home with that i wont be able to focus on my 3 year old. Its like a huge internal struggle im having. I wish the dr would have just said this is what we are doing.

• BTDT Moms, any advice? Nightgowns. Especially zip up the front (granny style) were great the first month. I didnt want anything putting pressure on my stomach. 

• GTKY: What food are your currently craving? Ugh what am i not craving. I think just food in general. Maybe chocolate chip cookies. Just got the call this morning that i failed my 1hr gd test so kinda a cookie wake up call that makes me sad :( 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Tell us a bit about why you having a c-section, repeat c-section, or a VBAC: Hopefully a second VBAC

How are you feeling about it?  Well, I would really like another VBAC (with less than 2hrs pushing) but a c-section could be a possibility if the VBAC doesn't go well.

BTDT Moms, any advice?  
    Just because you plan on having a VBAC doesn't mean you have to be all for it (though my Dr's were which was nice).   I had talked to my Dr's about: 
    -waiting to schedule the repeat c-section until 41 weeks or later to give myself a chance to go into labour
    -then I decided I'd at least try an induction before going straight to c-section
    -if labour wasn't progressing well (it did so I didn't) but could I just ask to be shipped to a c-section.  Yes, if they agreed.

Also, I highly recommend a VBAC if you can (I was given about a 50/50 chance of success and had one).   Though I had a 6 week recovery due to 2ltrs of blood loss, I could do as much as I could rather than having to purposely take it easy due to major surgery.

GTKY: What food are your currently craving?  Nothing majorly but oddly I don't really like yogurt these days.
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • Options
    • Tell us a bit about why you having a c-section, repeat c-section, or a VBAC:
    Going to try for a VBAC. The recovery from my first c-section was really hard, but I also had a 40-hour labor with a failed epidural before that, so that could account for why recovery was so rough. Basically, I'm a SAHM to a 19 month old, my husband will get no time off of work, except maybe a couple of days during which he will not get paid. I can't imagine not being able to pick up DS, bend down to get him dressed, change his diaper, lay him in his crib, etc. We also have stairs, which would be hard to manage. I just don't think there will be any way I can care for him while recovering from another c-section. I also have never spent the night away from DS and don't want to spend any more time in the hospital than necessary. As it is, I think I will have a really hard/emotional time leaving him, even if it's just for a day, to labor and have this baby.
    • How are you feeling about it?
    I'm really nervous, but I feel like I have to try because, like I said, c-section recovery with a crazy active toddler and little to no help just seems like the worst option. My labor with DS was a complete nightmare — failed epidural, 3+ hours of pushing, so much pitocin without any pain relief made the whole thing unbearably painful and even though I have a pretty high pain tolerance I didn't handle it well at all and the whole thing was just awful and humiliating. We suspect DS's head was turned in a wrong position and he got stuck, but we've never really gotten a solid explanation as to why he wasn't budging. 
    • BTDT Moms, any advice?
    • GTKY: What food are your currently craving?
    French toast! So random, I normally don't like sweet breakfast foods, but I have ben craving French toast for several days now.
  • Options

Tell us a bit about why you having a c-section, repeat c-section, or a VBAC:
               After 26 hours of labor and over an hour of pushing, I agreed to a c-section for "failure to descend." I hated my recovery from my c-section and would loooove a VBAC, but rupture worries me. I currently have a c-section scheduled for Nov 21st and if she comes before that, I will attempt VBAC. My due date is Nov 26th and ideally, I would have scheduled c-section on that date, but it's a Saturday and Thanksgiving is two days before, so the days around that were pretty much out. OB gave me the option of the 21swt or 28th. I didn't want to go past my due date, so the 21st it is. We shall see if she comes before. My water broke the day before my due date with my daugther as I was walking into the hospital to be induced for suspected pre-e.

How are you feeling about it?
                I am really excited about potentially having a VBAC, but I am just as scared about rupturing. I keep telling myself, if it's meant to be, she will come before my scheduled RCS.

BTDT Moms, any advice?
                I just second what everyone else has already said :)

GTKY: What food are your currently craving?
                Not really craving anything. I just want what anyone else is eating!
  • Options
    Hello all! Just got my date for the c-section - Nov 9th : )
    • Tell us a bit about why you having a c-section, repeat c-section, or a VBAC: During the birth of DS#1, I had a very bad 4th degree and haemorrhaging which resulted in fecal incontinence and I needed reconstructive surgery. 
    • How are you feeling about it?:  I am feeling good about my decision. In addition to the physical torture I went through the first time, I still think I have a bit of PTSD almost 3 years later. My son was 10lbs and got stuck and it was a very stressful and chaotic time when the doctor was trying to get him out with forceps. 
    • GTKY: What food are your currently craving? - EVERYTHING 
    DS#1: born Dec 29, 2013 
    TTC#2 since Sept 2014 - unexplained secondary IF
    BFP #2: 11.7.14  M/C: 11.27.14 @ 6w3days
    BFP #3: 04.19.2015 M/C 04.27.15 @ 4w3days
    BFP #4: 10.05.2015 C/P @ 3w4days
    Oct 11, 2015: Cycle 13. Starting Femara (2.5mg). HSG this cycle (all clear) - BFN
    Nov 12, 2015: Cyle 14. Femara 5mg + IUI - BFN
    Dec 10, 2015: Cycle 15. Femara 5mg + IUI #2 - BFP #5! C/P 4w4d
    Jan 10, 2016: Cycle 16. Femara 5mg + IUI #3 - BFN.
    Feb 10, 2016: Cycle 17.  No IUI or meds. Taking a break - Natural BFP Mar 5, 2016!!!! EDD Nov 16, 2016
    Moving to IVF March 2016
    Beta at 10dpo: 21, Beta at 12dpo: 98, Beta at 14dpo: 264, Beta at 16dpo: 745
    U/S 6w6d: single beautiful heartbeat of 121bpm - It's a boy!!!!
    Nov 3, 2016: Our family became complete. Welcome DS #2.