Baby Names
Options

Similar Boy Names?

My DH and I are expecting a baby boy in December... we are working on names right now. I am having a hard time finding names he likes, and especially names that we *both* really like. We are set on the middle name as it is a family name. Names that are currently on our short list (which means we both would consider them... but none of them do we both *love* at this point). Does anyone have suggestions that may fit in with these that I can run by him? Should we continue discussing/using these names and see if we grow to love any of them? Any reasons why any of these names should be taken off the list (bad connotations, common mispronunciations, not a "real" name, etc.)?

Ian Edward

Asher Edward

Skyler Edward

Brody Edward

Xander Edward

Jonah Edward

Lab Mom (x2): Sept/Oct 2014 
Married: August 2015
DS: Nov 2016 (36w)
Baby H #2: July2018 (Team Pink!)

Re: Similar Boy Names?

• Options
    Love Ian and Edward. Is Edward a FN possibility?

I find Brody very frat bro. 

Suggesting:

Jude
    Alton
    Alden
    Micah
    Bryce
    Gavin
    Garrett
    Calvin
    Simon
    Reid
    Seth
    Dean

• Options
    My favorites are Ian Edward and Jonah Edward.  Asher Edward is okay, I just don't like them together.  Xander Edward is also super wonky sounding to me. I would toss Skyler (so 90's) and Brody (random surname that rhymes with grody)

Suggest 

Liam Edward 
    Caleb Edward 
    Jonas Edward 
    Jacob Edward 
    Bastian Edward 
    Gabriel Edward 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Love Ian and Jonah. Asher, Skyler and Brody are a little trendy for my taste. Prefer Alexander nn Xander as Xander just seems incomplete. I second Micah and Reid as pp suggested
  • Options
    Latina211508Latina211508 member
    edited August 2016
    I like Ian and Jonah the best! I personally dislike skyler. 
    Suggestions: David, Ethan, Calvin, Chistopher, Elliott, Gabriel. 
    I have 4 kids and I didn't love one of my kids names. My husband chose it but I do love it now because it fits my daughter so well I couldn't see her with any other name. 
  • Options
    I really like Jonah, Ian, and Asher from your list. The only name I really dislike is Xander.

With my first I would say we didn't really looove any of the names on our short list, but one grew on us and seemed to fit more and more as my due date got closer. I think some people fall for a name, but that isn't how it always goes; I'd sit on your list for a little bit, look at names now and again, and see if one grows on you. You can always add or remove from your list over the next few months- you have time! Good luck!
  • Options

Ian Edward - Nice name, but could it be reversed for Edward Ian?

Asher Edward - I am very meh on this

Skyler Edward - I tend to associate this with a girls name, thanks Breaking Bad...

Brody Edward - I agree with PP, very "bro" frat boy to me

Xander Edward - I have never been a big fan of Xander

Jonah Edward - I don't think this flows that well

• Options

bbiutmcph said:
    Love Ian and Edward. Is Edward a FN possibility?

I find Brody very frat bro. 

Suggesting:

Jude
    Alton
    Alden
    Micah
    Bryce
    Gavin
    Garrett
    Calvin
    Simon
    Reid
    Seth
    Dean

Thanks for the suggestions! I do like Garrett a lot. I don't remember if that has been ran past DH. Going to have to start another list of suggestions!

As far as Edward as a first... I don't think so. I don't particularly like it as a first name, but DH feels *very* strongly about using it to honor his brother who passed somewhat recently which I am completely on board for as a middle name. Additionally, my maiden name is Edwards so everyone we know who hears we are using Edward as a middle name (more so my friends and family) thinks we are doing so because of my maiden name... kind of a cool coincidence, but not a conversation I want to keep having about a first name. I think I want to stay in the 'family/honor name as a middle name' camp. :)

• Options
    AlyLynn07 said:
    Love Ian and Jonah. Asher, Skyler and Brody are a little trendy for my taste. Prefer Alexander nn Xander as Xander just seems incomplete. I second Micah and Reid as pp suggested

As much as I like Reid... we have a cat named Reid. :) I keep tending towards short, one-two syllable names because they sound best with our last name (like Ian), but as you can tell from my list my DH does not feel the same way.

• Options
    Another short suggestion is Trent. I have one and get a lot of compliments. Although if you are football fans people might think of Trent Edwards although he was nothing super great sports wise.

• Options
    LOVE Trent. I definitely suggested this and it was nixed, but I might have said Trenton nn Trent. I am going to try again. Is your Trent just a Trent?

• Options
    Yep just Trent. I love that's it's known but very uncommon.

• Options
    Your naming style is a little different from mine.  I would describe these names as "cool sounding" whereas I like names that are traditional but also have a "cool" vibe.  Here's my opinion on each name:

Ian Edward -- my 2nd favorite on this list.  A good, solid name but still has that "cool" feel.

Asher Edward -- not a huge fan.  Asher strikes me as a little feminine.

Skyler Edward -- a little "out there" for my taste.  I think in the 21st Century, this will come to be seen as a girl name.

Brody Edward -- I just seem to have something against names that start with Br.  I really dislike Brady, Bryce, Brian, and can just tolerate Brandon.  Don't even get me started on Brayden.  The "br" sound always sounds whiny to me.

Xander Edward -- I so want to love Xander, but it just sounds too "out there."

Jonah Edward -- my #1 choice on your list. A totally cool name that's not really common, but has a solid, respectable feel to it.

Again, this is really subjective, because all 5 names are decent names.  I think if you and your H are stuck, maybe table the name discussion for a while.  You've got a few more months.  Agree to take a 2 week break from discussing it.  During that time, think over the names and see how you feel about them. 

I will tell you that it is possible to grow to love a name.  My H picked the name for my DD, and I didn't love it, but he was really passionate about the name, so I rolled with it.  It was hard at first, but within a few weeks of her birth I couldn't imagine naming her anything else, and I was really happy with his choice.  So don't get too worried about not feeling 100% in love with a name that's a good compromise!

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    I dont really like the names on your list.......they are all fine, but most sound very "Little boy". The name that I like the most is Ian. Can i suggest Marcus Edward?
  • Options

Marcus is not really our style, thanks for the suggestion though! I think based on all the suggestions (thank you for all of them!!!), I am going to see if we can both agree to add any of these names and then sit on our short list for awhile. This was helpful!

Garrett Edward

Gabriel Edward

Trent Edward

Elliott Edward

• Options
    Since you like Garrett and Gabriel, I'll throw out Gideon as a suggestion. Good luck!
    The McC 3 - DH, (38) Me, (34) and DS (3)
    A.J.M. - Born 6/11/13 after 17 BFNs including 1 failed IUI.
    Maybe Baby #2 - Started TTC Feb 2015. Called it quits after 29 cycles.