April 2017 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

2»

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    Thanks for the input @belocin when you've done 9 cruises they should give you the 10th for free
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    STM2017STM2017 member
    edited August 2016
    @catem07, I hate that too. And yet, I'm guilty of it. I had no choice of DS's first name. DH insisted (our DS is 5th generation) but I really didn't want 2 people in the house with the same name. So he goes by his middle name. I hate it. I hate that I've set him up to deal with this his whole life. But it was our compromise. 
  • Options
    @stm2017 yeah I get that with junior, third, etc. not much you can do there unless there's a good nickname with the first name. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    Isn't that a Catholic thing? 
    BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • Options
    @nursejoc the people who prompted this post aren't Catholic, but I think in some catholic communities it was common to name your daughter Mary _ and call her the middle name (I had a Filipina friend and every woman in the family had Mary or Maria as part of her name). Don't think that's that popular anymore though.  

• Options
    @catem07, funny story. My FIL is Bill. Which made my husband Bill Junior. FIL decided he should go by BJ. So until high school, my poor DH was BJ. You can imagine the dirty jokes he got. 
  • Options
    @Breesy14 we can't be friends. 
    Daisypath - z1at
    Baby 1 - November 2009
    *loss* - March 2010
    Baby 2 - January 2011
    Baby 3 - June 2015
    Baby 4 - April 2017
    Baby 5 - May 2019

• Options
    @catem07 I can't stand that either! My husband is Melvin III but goes by his middle name. When we found out we were having a boy last time we got in some pretty bad arguments over whether to name DS after him. I was really against it, mainly because I didn't want DS to have to go by his middle name and deal with always being confused with his dad, etc. Not to mention I really wasn't crazy about the name Melvin (no offense to anyone here, just not my style). I stood my ground and everyone got over it. I hope DS thanks me one day!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Tinkerbell413 nah - we can! I love other people's announcements and all the cute things. It just feels weird when I do stuff like that.  When all my friends bought Kendra Scott earrings, I couldn't bring myself to to do it despite really liking the style. I think it's because I have a strong urge to be against the grain - a little rebellious.  I love Disney world though!   
    **TW kids and loss mentioned**

-- DS 3.8.14
    -- MC 9.22.16 at 8 wks

• Options
    @Hollyh98 DH's name is Edgar and I honestly am really happy that he had a boy before me. My oldest DSS is named Edgar, but goes by a really embarrassing nickname around family. At school and sports he goes by his first name. I'm just not a fan of the name Edgar. And glad I didn't have to go through that pressure of whether or not to name DS Edgar. 
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • Options
    I am so happy that neither DH or myself have ever once considered naming a child after him. I would consider his middle name though, but that is because I like it and consider middle names perfect for naming after people. 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsstuessy DS's middle name is the same as his dad and grandpa (and both dad and grandpa actually go by the name) I am glad we could at least carry on some part of the name. I really like using family names as middle names too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a huge fan of family names if they aren't ridiculous.  My son is named after my dad and his middle name is my husbands middle name.  I think its cool to keep names in the family and an honor for the older person with that name to see younger generations of their family be named because of them.  However, I can definitely see the other side of this if the family names are not desirable to the new parents.
  • Options
    In my DHs family they have a skip generation thing with DHs name. He has the same name as his grandfather and great-great grandfather. So if we have a son and he has a son, there would be pressure to give our hypothetical grandson DH's name.

• Options
    DS has two middle names (we couldn't agree on one) and both of them are named after his great grandpa on either side.
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • Options
    clover28 said:
    I'm a huge fan of family names if they aren't ridiculous.  My son is named after my dad and his middle name is my husbands middle name.  I think its cool to keep names in the family and an honor for the older person with that name to see younger generations of their family be named because of them.  However, I can definitely see the other side of this if the family names are not desirable to the new parents.
    My stepdad goes by his middle name bc his first name is a family name...Kermit. Not even kidding. When him and my mom got married, he was like it's ending with me don't worry bc she did not want to name my little brother with that as a first name!

I'm ok with family names but I think it depends on the significance of the name and how rigid families are with the traditions. No one knows why Kermit is a thing in his family so he's ok with it ending, but on my mom's side it's tradition that the middle names have to be a family name (just any name of someone in the family). This made naming DS really hard bc we couldn't agree on a middle name we liked that wouldn't piss off my family, plus there's not a lot of male names we liked in the first place. If this new one is a boy, it's going to take the entire pregnancy to pick a middle name again haha. 

@catem07 that's interesting, I've never head of every other generation with a name before. That's not too bad, as long as you like the name of course!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS--N14
    Baby #2 EDD--4/16/17