August 2016 Moms
Options

Baby Appointment Thread

We have the appointment thread for us so I was thinking maybe we could do one for appointments for baby. I know most of the time I forget any questions I have once I'm there so maybe this will help. 

Re: Baby Appointment Thread

• Options
    Jameson has his second appointment tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it, it takes so long to be seen and I don't feel like sitting in a waiting room for 30 minutes ugh. On the plus side, hubby is going with me and I'm curious to see how much weight J has gained! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We saw the dr the day after we were discharged from the hospital.  He removed my staples and checked baby's weight, circ, etc.  he said our next appt is in 2 months.  Is that a long time?! 
  • Options
    @Mrsrundell That does seem like a long time. Our pedi schedules appointments for 2 days after discharge, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, 4 months and 6 months. Not sure what the standard is though.

J had his 2-week appointment today and has gained an impressive 19 ounces in 11 days. He's well above his birth weight but still wants to eat every two hours at night. Happy that he's such a good eater but momma needs sleep!
  • Options
    @Mrsrundell we had a two-week appointment in between, then a two-month.

At LO's two-week appointment today, everything looked good! Back at birth weight and circ is healed. The doctor said I need to be taking additional vitamin D (we're BF-ing) and also said I don't need to feed LO as long when he's nursing. Our sessions have been lasting 45 minutes to an hour... he said 20 minutes is usually enough and to use a paci if he's fusing after that. So we'll see how that goes! 
  • Options
    We had an initial appt a few days after leaving the hospital, and LO was within 2 oz of her birthweight so they said we didn't need to come back until 1 month and then 2 month.  We were also told that once she reaches her birth weight we don't need to wake her for feedings.  
  • Options
    We also had a two day appointment, with a follow up weight check because she lost 10 percent of her weight in three days. Next we have a two week and two month. 
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• Options
    We've been to our pediatrician about 7 times since he was born on July 30th....  He's slow to gain weight so they keep bringing him back to check. Plus he had trouble regulating his temperature at first but that fixed itself. Once the weight issue is resolved his next appt is his 1month then 2 month 
  • Options
    kwilliams3402kwilliams3402 member
    edited August 2016
    Curls919 said:
    We've been to our pediatrician about 7 times since he was born on July 30th....  He's slow to gain weight so they keep bringing him back to check. Plus he had trouble regulating his temperature at first but that fixed itself. Once the weight issue is resolved his next appt is his 1month then 2 month 
    I'm glad to see we're not the only ones slow to gain over here, and my heart goes out to you dealing with that! Baby boy was only up an ounce at his checkup yesterday... Only an ounce gained over a week. He's a big boy, and apparently our goal should be to feed 25 oz a day, and he was eating about 18-19. We had even been waking to feed every 2.5 hours during the day and 3 at night. We switched to a more gentle formula to supplement with, so hopefully that helps. I don't know about you, but I am exhausted spending so many hours a night (and day) feeding him! Fingers crossed our kiddos pick up the pace soon.
  • Options
    Tonight when I took Levi to urgent care they weighed him, but with his clothes and diaper on. He was 7lb 9oz. 2 weeks ago he was 6lb 15oz at his weight check and he was naked. Is that a good gain? I've didn't ebf my first 2 kids, so weight was not a huge issue past the first week or 2. 
  • Options
    Curls919 said:
    I'm glad to see we're not the only ones slow to gain over here, and my heart goes out to you dealing with that! Baby boy was only up an ounce at his checkup yesterday... Only an ounce gained over a week. He's a big boy, and apparently our goal should be to feed 25 oz a day, and he was eating about 18-19. We had even been waking to feed every 2.5 hours during the day and 3 at night. We switched to a more gentle formula to supplement with, so hopefully that helps. I don't know about you, but I am exhausted spending so many hours a night (and day) feeding him! Fingers crossed our kiddos pick up the pace soon.
    He was 6lb 9oz at birth, 5lb 14oz at discharge. He gained slowly for the first week and was 6lb 3oz a week ago Monday. Then he didn't gain anything between then and Saturday!  We started supplementing with formula then my pumped milk and he was up to 6lb 6oz on Monday. We go back in on Friday for another weight check. All I want is the all clear to not wake at night!!!
  • Options
    Jameson had an appointment yesterday to make sure he is gaining weight and his jaundice is gone. He was 7lb 7oz when he was born, 7lb 4oz when we were discharged, and yesterday he was 7lb 10oz!! His jaundice is also gone, circ is healed, and everything looks good. Next appointment is his 1 month checkup which I'm not looking forward to because I think he'll be getting a shot at that one :/ 
  • Options
    Had a great visit with the dr and baby l was up 6 ounces! @nomoremiss you're so right about breast milk, so cool to hear how our little ones grow 
  • Options
    Baby had her 2 week appointment and is back up just past her birth weight. Middle range for all percentages (way up all around from her 2-days-post-discharge appointment). Formula for mom's with no milk is magic too!  ;) 

Her belly button was looking a little gnarly so the ped treated the granuloma with silver nitrate and it's already healing nicely. 

Next appointment is at 2 months with lots of shots, poor girl.
  • Options
    @kwilliams3402 I am so jelly of your 4 hour stretches! Congrats on the weight gain for DD. :) 
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• Options
    @kwilliams3402 I am so jelly of your 4 hour stretches! Congrats on the weight gain for DD. :) 
    I was so excited I nearly cried when I saw the scale. We are still doing 9 feelings, so every 2.5 all day with cluster feeding--every 2 hours--in the evening. By the time I tend to him and pump it's 3 hours of sleep for me, but man, is it a game changer. You'll get there!!
  • Options
    We had my Munchkin's first appointment today he gained some weight which we were all happy about, but they also said his eyes were still yellow so they would have to check his bilirubin levels again. I'm waiting on a call back now with the results, I honestly can't take him being under that light again he was so uncomfortable and I couldn't do much about it
  • Options
    Had LOs 2 week appt. He's up to 7lbs, 8oz from 6lbs,11oz at birth. Doc was pleased with his almost 2oz per day gain, from what he lost (5lbs 14oz at day 3) I'm thrilled that BFing is working and not a huge struggle like it was with my DD. 

Strange thing was that he measured .25in smaller than birth. Then was rechecked and measured the same as birth, 20in. Weird. 
  • Options
    We had DS's 1 months check up last Thursday (LO was actually 5wks old) & it was also our first appt with our new pediatrician. So glad we switched! 

DS is 9lb 5.5oz, up from 6lb 10oz at birth & is 21.5" long, up 2" from birth. He finally got his first Hep B vaccine . Next visit will be his 2m check up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    Curls919 said:
    I also had a good meeting with a lactation consultant and realized that some of the tricks I was using to get him to nurse were actually counterproductive (he needed help in the first week or so but apparently was doing fine on his own). He's now nursing much longer and getting more hind milk. 
    @Curls919
    What were the counterproductive tricks? Want to make sure I'm not doing them as well!

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Curls919 said:
    I also had a good meeting with a lactation consultant and realized that some of the tricks I was using to get him to nurse were actually counterproductive (he needed help in the first week or so but apparently was doing fine on his own). He's now nursing much longer and getting more hind milk. 
    @Curls919
    What were the counterproductive tricks? Want to make sure I'm not doing them as well!
    Mostly that I was massaging my breasts as he ate. When the baby has a lazy latch or difficulty latching this can help them get milk. But when they have a good latch this essentially forces milk into their mouth faster than they would eat themselves. So A would nurse for 5 min or less and be done but he wasn't gaining weight in time. Now I pop him on and let him just eat. He'll nurse for 10-20 min a side usually. 
  • Options
    On a scale of one to ten... how awful are the 6 week shots  :/ we have our appt tomorrow and I'm so nervous!
  • Options
    court5608 said:
    On a scale of one to ten... how awful are the 6 week shots  :/ we have our appt tomorrow and I'm so nervous!
    Are you nursing?  I don't remember any shots being awful but I also nursed DS1 immediately after and he calmed right down. 
  • Options
    My little chunk had her 2 week weight check (although she is 18 days old!) She was 8 lbs 9 oz a week and a half ago at her first check up, today she is 9lbs 9oz! Yay! I knew she packed them on, tried to put one of the few newborn onesies I had left on her and I couldn't get it over her head  :D .. she also had to get a heal stick to complete her newborn screening. I know it's necessary but seeing her cry that much breaks my heart esp. When her bottom lip quivers. 

• Options
    @Curls919 yes, I'm breastfeeding! I didn't think of that, thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    DD had her 2 month check up (where does the time go?!)

Stats
    Weight: 10 lbs and 9 oz :) she's come a long way since her birth weight at 5 lbs 12 oz!! 
    Length: 22 3/8 in 

She got one oral vaccination which she seemed to enjoy and two additional vaccinations on each of her thigh (screamed/cried where her tongue would tremble). DH held her down this time and I was hiding behind him. Too painful to see her in pain! 

Main Issues/Concerns
    1. We told ped that she's spitting up and tends to be gassy when she drinks formula vs. breastmilk. She was on Enfamil Newborn but ped gave us Nutramigen to see if DD takes this better than Enfamil. She also told us to try Gerber Infant Soothe Colic Calm even though DD isn't colic (anyone tried this with their baby?)

2. Fussy at night, not really sleeping through the night- it's still normal for her not to sleep through the night but according to ped, baby might be overtired. We usually put baby to bed by 11 pm. Ped said to put her down between 6-8 pm. Oops! We'll try that going forward.

3. Crib sleeping - Not really happening right now. When we lay her on her back, she wakes up and cries. Ped said to still keep trying. Though I'm tempted to let her sleep on my chest, I will try to put her in her crib... :/

Otherwise, all is well! Hope by next appt (at month 4), her spit ups have decreased. :)
  • Options
    @AliKay20 your experience confirmed that I def need a new pediatrician. He didn't ask any of that stuff and didn't even give me info on the vaccine that DS got. Thanks for sharing! Now to find someone new... unfortunately I have to drive 20+ min for the next nearest ped as my immediate area primarily uses family practice.