June 2016 Moms
Options

Baby Sleep Questions

Re: Baby Sleep Questions

• Options
    meggyme said:
    She's been actually crying during that time. If I bring her into bed with us she sleeps fine. I prop her up in the boppy and she falls right back asleep. Not something I want to perpetuate, but for now it's self preservation. It's frustrating that she won't sleep equally as well in her bassinet. And she's in the room with us, so any little sound she makes I hear.
    My LO was exactly like this. I have a p n p with a cuddle cove. I was reluctant to let her sleep there but I feel it's safer than bed. Swaddled and with it vibrating she sleeps great. It clicks into the top. At her first morning feed I put her in her swing. It's okay if she falls asleep she's learned that cuddle cove means bed time. 
  • Options
    adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
    edited August 2016
    So Preston had a rough morning at the dr.  Got his shots today.  When we got home it was Naptime so I gave him a snack and once again he's on track to sleep almost 3 hours.  I guess the snack really does help him sleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also though, sleep is a natural reaction to shots. Their bodies need it to fight the vaccines. The first nap after shots over here lasted 3.5 hours which is unheard of. They can sleep a lot...or it can turn into the opposite later. You never know what that first day/night will be like! But sleep is good!
  • Options
    So Preston had a rough morning at the dr.  Got his shots today.  When we got home it was Naptime so I gave him a snack and once again he's on track to sleep almost 3 hours.  I guess the snack really does help him sleep.
    Damien had his shots this morning too and went down for a nap when we got home but woke up about 45min later for a feeding. I guess the short nap was good enough because he was up for 2hrs but went down easily after tummy time. He's been asleep for about an hour now.

Have you noticed any side effects? I haven't yet but am keeping a close eye on him.
  • Options
    Damien had his shots this morning too and went down for a nap when we got home but woke up about 45min later for a feeding. I guess the short nap was good enough because he was up for 2hrs but went down easily after tummy time. He's been asleep for about an hour now.

Have you noticed any side effects? I haven't yet but am keeping a close eye on him.

Literally just asked about Damien on another thread lol.  Preston feels a little warmer than normal but not hot and when he was awake he was very cheerful until when he started getting tired I carried him to his room to start rocking him to get him ready for a nap but he just started screaming from what looked like gas so I set him in the crib and he got quiet and fell asleep in about 5 min.  His first nap when we got home was about 2.75 hours when gas woke him and he needed a change plus food. Then he was up for an hour now down again.  I hope this doesn't affect his night sleep but I want him to feel better and I know sleep helps with that.
  • Options
    @vintagevix2016 and @adiaz132003 S has his 2-month shots tomorrow and you're giving me hope that it might not be as bad as in expecting it to be!
  • Options
    annaf2011 said:
    @vintagevix2016 and @adiaz132003 S has his 2-month shots tomorrow and you're giving me hope that it might not be as bad as in expecting it to be!
     My advice is to see if they will do it while you nurse, or hold them then nurse right after, like as they out the bandaid on after. Lol my aunt did her dissertation about how baby's and shots and how it affects thier feelings towards drs and shot later in life.  Basically try to make it as calm as possible right from the start.  Oh and don't give Tylenol unless they really need it after.  My ped said studies have shown Tylenol use before and after shots will affect the antibodies production.  She told me that if he has a little fever but is alert and fine then don't bother but if he has a fever and is crying a lot/seems upset then go ahead and give him some.  He hasn't needed it at all.
  • Options
    My son had his shots in the morning and slept for several hours afterwards. He barely ate after his shots and he was warm but not over 100 degrees. When he did wake up, he would just cry and cry and cry. It was so sad to see him like that. He would literally be in a dead sleep and wake up screaming. This went on for hours. We did Tylenol twice.  And to think we have to do it all over again in 2 months  :(
  • Options

Literally just asked about Damien on another thread lol.  Preston feels a little warmer than normal but not hot and when he was awake he was very cheerful until when he started getting tired I carried him to his room to start rocking him to get him ready for a nap but he just started screaming from what looked like gas so I set him in the crib and he got quiet and fell asleep in about 5 min.  His first nap when we got home was about 2.75 hours when gas woke him and he needed a change plus food. Then he was up for an hour now down again.  I hope this doesn't affect his night sleep but I want him to feel better and I know sleep helps with that.
    Damien was great all day, napping and eating (he did eat a little less today and didn't want my breasts at all so had to give him my milk via bottle), until around 5pm. He cried and wailed a lot during the evening with random short periods of calm. I ended up giving him Tylenol before he went down for the night at 8pm because he was just miserable. I was glad to see him feed a lot right before bedtime tho. I'm hoping the night goes okay, fingers crossed!
  • Options
    annaf2011 said:
     My advice is to see if they will do it while you nurse, or hold them then nurse right after, like as they out the bandaid on after. Lol my aunt did her dissertation about how baby's and shots and how it affects thier feelings towards drs and shot later in life.  Basically try to make it as calm as possible right from the start.  Oh and don't give Tylenol unless they really need it after.  My ped said studies have shown Tylenol use before and after shots will affect the antibodies production.  She told me that if he has a little fever but is alert and fine then don't bother but if he has a fever and is crying a lot/seems upset then go ahead and give him some.  He hasn't needed it at all.
    We survived! I did end up nursing him as quickly as possible after, and it calmed him right down. He fell asleep on the ride home but has been awake for the past 90 minutes or so since we got in the door. So far a pretty cheerful baby, so we'll see how the night goes  
  • Options
    Our night had shorter sleep stretches and one point he was awake for a few minutes but I kept quiet and just let him fall back asleep.  He was eating ever 4 hours instead of his normal 5-6 but that could be because his naps were so long and he didn't feed as much during the day.  Today he was back to his 45 min naps but he was fully alert and awake after each one and was awake for about 2 hours in between naps.  He's been very happy all day so I'm not worried about the short naps at this point.  Now if he starts waking up still looking tired I might kust give him his pacifier and see if he goes back to sleep for another 30 min.  
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Alyssa goes to sleep between 8-9pm and has been waking up between 5-6am. Today she is still asleep and it's 6:43 here for about a week now she's been sleeping through the night. I use a sleep sack and give her a pacifier once it falls out in middle of the night she keeps sleeping and doesn't cry for it back in. They also say sleeping with a pacifier helps reduce the risk of sudden infant death. We swaddled her for the first 2 weeks then stopped because she could kick out of them and liked her arms loose. Having a loose blanket in her PAck and play where she sleeps made me nervous. Edited to add for naps she usually takes one long nap around noon usually in her napper that came with her pack and play sometimes in her swing. If I have to run errands she naps in her car seat. She'll also take a short nap here and there if she's tired.?
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Options
    Anyone notice that their LO will have been doing 6-8 hours stretches at night then sudden down to 4-5 hours.  He's not eating any more during the day, still every three hours, so idk if it's a growth spurt or not.
  • Options
    Anyone notice that their LO will have been doing 6-8 hours stretches at night then sudden down to 4-5 hours.  He's not eating any more during the day, still every three hours, so idk if it's a growth spurt or not.
    I honestly couldn't tell that Damien went through his last growth spurt, other than the physical changes, since he seemed to be eating the same amount but he started sleeping a little more. He was fussy too but I mean that's nothing new for him. I read that each growth spurt can differ from the last. It could be part of a development thing too maybe?
  • Options
    The past two nights Lillyana slept for a 6 hour stretch! I'm so excited.  She's only done 4 hour stretches up until now.  She still wants to eat every 2 hours during the day but I can't get her to eat more and stretch that out a little.  I'll take it though!

She got her shots a week and a half ago.  She was fine all afternoon, napping longer than normal.  Her temp spiked up to 103.1 the first night though so we had to give Tylenol.  The second night it got to 101 and again gave Tylenol but she was okay during the daytime.  The third night she was not running a fever but was really clammy and super fussy, crying constantly.  We gave her Tylenol one last time just to help her get over the last of the reaction from the vaccines.

Has anyone elses' LO had a high fever with shots yet?
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    The past two nights Lillyana slept for a 6 hour stretch! I'm so excited.  She's only done 4 hour stretches up until now.  She still wants to eat every 2 hours during the day but I can't get her to eat more and stretch that out a little.  I'll take it though!

She got her shots a week and a half ago.  She was fine all afternoon, napping longer than normal.  Her temp spiked up to 103.1 the first night though so we had to give Tylenol.  The second night it got to 101 and again gave Tylenol but she was okay during the daytime.  The third night she was not running a fever but was really clammy and super fussy, crying constantly.  We gave her Tylenol one last time just to help her get over the last of the reaction from the vaccines.

Has anyone elses' LO had a high fever with shots yet?
    My DS had this with every round of shots it sucked. This LO was very fussy but no fever. They all handle it differently.
  • Options
    Of course the first time Jackie sleeps for 5 straight hours it's because I let her keep sleeping during a late nap. 6-11pm and I was awake the whole time, the 3 hour stretches all night.  :'(
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    Of course the first time Jackie sleeps for 5 straight hours it's because I let her keep sleeping during a late nap. 6-11pm and I was awake the whole time, the 3 hour stretches all night.  :'(
    I've done that before on rough days. I just wanted to savor the quiet for as long as possible and usually a long nap is like a "reset" button for Damien. I'm sorry to hear the rest of the night didn't include long stretches!
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    I've done that before on rough days. I just wanted to savor the quiet for as long as possible and usually a long nap is like a "reset" button for Damien. I'm sorry to hear the rest of the night didn't include long stretches!
    I just hope it wasn't a fluke and it becomes a regular occurrence.
  • Options
    So as many of you know I've been dealing with my little guy being a chronic short napper.  Sucks cause I would love to nap too.  Well I give up. His naps are still 45 min and sometimes he will still look tired so I'll soothe him down for nap part 2 which will sometimes lead to a total of 1.5 hours but that doesn't happen often.  He has now started extending his wake time to about 2 hours between naps and he's always a happy baby and is never cranky or wide awake at night so I assume he is getting a good balance of sleep. I guess I'm just gonna have to deal with the short naps and eventually he will just start dropping the naps.  Hell, I heard they may even grow out of this short nap thing. We'll see.
  • Options
    @adiaz132003 Sam sounds just like Preston. He is a short napper as well. But the last four days he's taken a 1.5 or longer afternoon nap. 
  • Options
    So as many of you know I've been dealing with my little guy being a chronic short napper.  Sucks cause I would love to nap too.  Well I give up. His naps are still 45 min and sometimes he will still look tired so I'll soothe him down for nap part 2 which will sometimes lead to a total of 1.5 hours but that doesn't happen often.  He has now started extending his wake time to about 2 hours between naps and he's always a happy baby and is never cranky or wide awake at night so I assume he is getting a good balance of sleep. I guess I'm just gonna have to deal with the short naps and eventually he will just start dropping the naps.  Hell, I heard they may even grow out of this short nap thing. We'll see.
    They do grow out of it...some babies aren't ready to transition from one sleep cycle to the next. Hang in there, it won't last forever. I really was going crazy like you are with DS. I would have done anything, but finally gave in and learned to embrace it. He eventually started sleeping for an hour and when we dropped to one nap at 18 months, he started sleeping for 2-3 hours. It will be okay!! LO is doing the same thing...as frustrating as it is, it's temporary. I bet there's not a lot of people on the board that get good daytime & nighttime sleepers. It's usually one or the other.

https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com/your-nemesis-the-short-nap/

I shared this article before and it's really helpful to understand. 
  • Options
    Bear14+ said:
    They do grow out of it...some babies aren't ready to transition from one sleep cycle to the next. Hang in there, it won't last forever. I really was going crazy like you are with DS. I would have done anything, but finally gave in and learned to embrace it. He eventually started sleeping for an hour and when we dropped to one nap at 18 months, he started sleeping for 2-3 hours. It will be okay!! LO is doing the same thing...as frustrating as it is, it's temporary. I bet there's not a lot of people on the board that get good daytime & nighttime sleepers. It's usually one or the other.

https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com/your-nemesis-the-short-nap/

I shared this article before and it's really helpful to understand. 

Yeah it's so weird. I do use a pacifier for naps cause he just can't seem to settle during the day without it but of he wakes from a nap at the 45 min mark I put it back in and see if he goes back to sleep. Today I put it back and he slept another hour and 15 min, so total 2 hour nap.  He's a very happy baby and sleeps well at night meaning he doesn't even open his eyes for his diaper change and feeding and goes right back to bed.  I'm hoping he will learn to sleep longer on his own but it's not like I will get a nap in anyway so why stress over a short nap?  
  • Options
    Anyone else finding it hard not to engage with their LOs at night because they're just so damn cute with their little smiles? Damien cracks a big smiles when I go to pick him up for feeding and it's just so hard to resist!!
  • Options
    Anyone else finding it hard not to engage with their LOs at night because they're just so damn cute with their little smiles? Damien cracks a big smiles when I go to pick him up for feeding and it's just so hard to resist!!
     Ugh yes!!! After dh changes him he cracks a huge grin when he's passed to me.
  • Options
    I've read thru many of these but it's hard to read thru them all bc little man won't sit still long enough so I thought I'd ask my question. Real quick. And I apologize if it has already been addressed. Mine will sleep all night but not anywhere besides on my chest. Won't sleep in his swing,craddle, on his back or anything. And he is a tummy sleeper but I will not let him sleep on his tummy unless I am awake to keep a close eye on him.. but he will only sleep on his tummy on my chest.. I can't take much more.  It's killing my back to lay in the same position with him.on top of me all night.. and I start him out in his swing etc but it never last he ends right back on me.. he's 2 months as of monday.. what can I do?
  • Options
    I've read thru many of these but it's hard to read thru them all bc little man won't sit still long enough so I thought I'd ask my question. Real quick. And I apologize if it has already been addressed. Mine will sleep all night but not anywhere besides on my chest. Won't sleep in his swing,craddle, on his back or anything. And he is a tummy sleeper but I will not let him sleep on his tummy unless I am awake to keep a close eye on him.. but he will only sleep on his tummy on my chest.. I can't take much more.  It's killing my back to lay in the same position with him.on top of me all night.. and I start him out in his swing etc but it never last he ends right back on me.. he's 2 months as of monday.. what can I do?

You gotta start laying him down somewhere when he's really sleepy during naps to get him used to sleeping elsewhere.  Then once you can get him to nap there start trying for the first portion of the night. Then you can bring him to bed with you if you want.  It's gonna be hard but it's a sleep association and the longer you wait to break the habit, the harder it will be.
  • Options
    @ashleygray89 I was going to say the same thing as adiaz132003 and if you're BFing you could probably nurse him to get him really sleepy.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Lizbeth86 said:
    @ashleygray89 I was going to say the same thing as adiaz132003 and if you're BFing you could probably nurse him to get him really sleepy.
     Yeah! Nurse him till he's basically asleep and set him down but stay close.  If he wakes up fussing you can rub his back and shush till he relaxes.  I figured out there are two types of cries my son does.  The "I need you" cry which is normally the one that breaks our hearts and I would never let him keep crying if I heard this cause it means either he's hurting, hungry or wet. Then there is the "I don't wanna be here" cry which comes and goes, has fluctuating pitches and sounds more like a whine.  When he does that whining cry I just reassure him I'm there and after a minute he will slow the cries and settle down.  I don't consider this CIO cause I never leave him alone as he cries and he never cries for more than a few minutes.

ETA:If you want to get him in a crib start by spending some awake time in there and just talk and make him smiles he's knows the crib is a safe happy place.
  • Options
    So Preston has been waking up at the exact same time every night for about a week now. 1:15-1:30 and 4:30-5.  He's only 11 weeks but could this already be habitual waking? When he woke me at 4:30 this morning I wanted to do the first half of his feed before the diaper change because if I do it halfway through I'm more likely to get a burp out of him. Well I start feeding and he just took the nipple and pacified. Barely ate anything and passed out.  We took the dummy away yesterday with great success so far so I don't wanna give it to him when he wakes at night so im wondering of i should just soothe him during his first wake/try wake to sleep to see if this is really a habit or not.  I k ow he can go to get without food. Hell if i dont plan out his feeding during the day he's been known to wait almost 4 hours for a feeding while awake so you'd think nights would be longer. Thoughts? Ideas?
  • Options
    So Preston has been waking up at the exact same time every night for about a week now. 1:15-1:30 and 4:30-5.  He's only 11 weeks but could this already be habitual waking? When he woke me at 4:30 this morning I wanted to do the first half of his feed before the diaper change because if I do it halfway through I'm more likely to get a burp out of him. Well I start feeding and he just took the nipple and pacified. Barely ate anything and passed out.  We took the dummy away yesterday with great success so far so I don't wanna give it to him when he wakes at night so im wondering of i should just soothe him during his first wake/try wake to sleep to see if this is really a habit or not.  I k ow he can go to get without food. Hell if i dont plan out his feeding during the day he's been known to wait almost 4 hours for a feeding while awake so you'd think nights would be longer. Thoughts? Ideas?

Weve started going longer stretches at night without food. If he's squirming around, we will change his diaper and put him back in his crib. He normally falls back asleep. If he starts crying then we will offer a bottle. Last night he probably ate 2 ounces from 7-6am (offered bottle 3 times and he would take a few sips and fall back asleep). 
  • Options
    Could you offer him one of your fingers to suck on instead of a pacifier? Might take a little longer to get yourself back to bed but it would allow him to suck to soothe without a pacifier.
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    Could you offer him one of your fingers to suck on instead of a pacifier? Might take a little longer to get yourself back to bed but it would allow him to suck to soothe without a pacifier.
     We did that the beginning of the week with the pacifier but he woke up shortly after cause it fell out.  He's been going down for naps pretty well since I took them away, today he only cried/whined for two minutes before passing out and even made it past the 45 min transition all on his own.  He's also been waking from his naps super happy and alert for the first time so I really don't wanna mess this up since its going so well.  I guess in more curious if he's waking out of habit or hunger. I wanna feed him if he's really hungry but my gut tells me it's habit.  I've heard this doesn't happen till they are over 3 months cause by then they are big enough to not have to eat for longer but Preston is over 14lbs now and based on that info they said most babies are capable of longer stretches once they hit about 12 lbs.  It's the weekend so maybe tonight I should try and just soothe him back to sleep if he wakes up the first time and see if there is a change.
  • Options
    meggyme said:
     We did that the beginning of the week with the pacifier but he woke up shortly after cause it fell out.  He's been going down for naps pretty well since I took them away, today he only cried/whined for two minutes before passing out and even made it past the 45 min transition all on his own.  He's also been waking from his naps super happy and alert for the first time so I really don't wanna mess this up since its going so well.  I guess in more curious if he's waking out of habit or hunger. I wanna feed him if he's really hungry but my gut tells me it's habit.  I've heard this doesn't happen till they are over 3 months cause by then they are big enough to not have to eat for longer but Preston is over 14lbs now and based on that info they said most babies are capable of longer stretches once they hit about 12 lbs.  It's the weekend so maybe tonight I should try and just soothe him back to sleep if he wakes up the first time and see if there is a change.
    I say you give it a try. Try soothing him and if he can't be soothed, then he's probably hungry. I know my LO escalates her crying when she's hungry and we're not giving her what she wants, so we usually figure it out pretty quick.
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    Damien woke me up almost every night this week with sucking on his hand. I went in thinking he was hungry and he definitely wasn't, just self-soothing (just noisey). It's only happened one time per night but I'm guessing he is waking at that point out of habit. I give him my finger to see if he starts dropping off to sleep again. If he doesn't, then I know he needs feeding. I made the mistake of picking him up the first time it happened and he was awake for a bit because of it. I do my best not to disturb him as much as possible until I know if he needs to eat.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    It's just hard cause before, while using the pacifier, it was so easy to put him down drowsy but awake.  Now, because his soother is gone he cries himself to sleep.  Most of the time it's been more of a whine bit sometimes he screams with all his might for like ten seconds then stops then starts then stops. Someone please tell me there is an end to the whole crimping to sleep bit cause i don't wanna do CIO where I just leave him alone.  I'm hoping that I can put him down awake and he will fall asleep with no crying, then I'll work on getting him down drowsy and leaving the room before he falls asleep.

Eta: today has been hard.  Lots of crying before naps. The only time he went down easy today was after screaming on and off for almost 20 min before his last nap I knew he'd need to eat soon so I gave him a feeding, making sure he didn't fall asleep then burped and put him in the crib.  He opened his eyes a bit and fuss cried for a minute then fell asleep.  That's not nursing to sleep right? Since he was awake when he went down but was super relaxed after the feeding it shouldn't be a "sleep prop"?
  • Options
    Good morning all, day 3 of going to sleep without a pacifier.  I realized letting him cry is not for me so I'm trying to rock him so he's falling asleep then I'll put him down and pick him up if he cries.  Well I put him down but I guess it wasn't long enough cause his eyes popped open but zero tears.  Now he's been sitting alone in his crib for about 20 just looking around.  Every now and then I hear a yawn but I still here him moving. I'm sure he won't sleep on his own so I'm just waiting in the room for the cry and I'll start over.  I know, stressful but I can't take the crying.  I suppose letting him be happy in the crib should be a good thing cause then it's not a stressful place for him and I'm hoping he will settle himself one day.
  • Options
    @adiaz132003 I never know what I'm going to get with Damien when it comes to naps. If he fusses, I sit on a stool near his crib so he can see me and periodically give him my finger to suck on. I find that eventually calms him down enough that he will pass out on his own. If he is calm when he goes down, I leave the door open so he can see me when I walk by or peep in and he will eventually pass out on his own. Then, of course, there are the full on screaming and crying naps, for those I sit by the crib and give him the pacifier. I don't know how else to get him to fall asleep without it at that point. He will still crying through the pacifier but after about 5mins or so he settles...or gives up. I know none of that is really helpful for you...There have been times when I first started really working on getting him to nap that I would be in and out of the nursery to calm him down for up to an hour! He would start to drop off and I'd slip out, only for him to wake and cry 10mins later. It wasn't often that it took that long though, most times I would do that for about 20mins and then he would be down for good. 

I don't think nursing and putting Preston down when he is still awake but sleepy is "nursing to sleep" but I could be wrong. 
  • Options
    Good morning all, day 3 of going to sleep without a pacifier.  I realized letting him cry is not for me so I'm trying to rock him so he's falling asleep then I'll put him down and pick him up if he cries.  Well I put him down but I guess it wasn't long enough cause his eyes popped open but zero tears.  Now he's been sitting alone in his crib for about 20 just looking around.  Every now and then I hear a yawn but I still here him moving. I'm sure he won't sleep on his own so I'm just waiting in the room for the cry and I'll start over.  I know, stressful but I can't take the crying.  I suppose letting him be happy in the crib should be a good thing cause then it's not a stressful place for him and I'm hoping he will settle himself one day.
    My LO will do the same thing and I decided to just leave her to her own devices until she decides she needs me. Otherwise I end up waiting 15 minutes for a cry that doesn't come. Especially at night when it means extra time asleep.