August 2016 Moms

Postpartum Mental Health Check In

1235»

Re: Postpartum Mental Health Check In

• Hey ladies. Sorry I have been a little MIA the last few days. I had a bit of a panic attack/breakdown Tuesday morning and was admitted to the hospital for it. I am being discharged tonight and can't wait to get home to my little one. The psych has put me on a combination of drugs including Prozac and clonazepam. I am feeling a lot better anxiety/depression wise here, but then again the environment here is very stable and calming (on top of the sleep I have finally been able to get). I am hopeful that when I get back into my home environment tonight, that I feel comfortable and safe again. I really want to feel like my old self again so I can be a great mommy to Aria. I feel so bad because my DH has had to take care of her by himself for the last three days. He seems to be doing great with her though. I just really feel guilty for missing out on her life for two and a half days.
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• @midwestbaby oh no, I'm glad you're feeling better! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @midwestbaby I'm sorry, I'm sure it's been hard to be away from her for so long, but it's great that you're getting help and feeling better! You are a great mommy already, and mommies still need to care for themselves too. I hope your transition home is smooth!
  • @midwestbaby Sorry to hear you're going through such a rough patch, but glad you got help and are feeling better. Don't feel guilty about missing out - you did what you needed to do to be a good mommy, and I bet it was a great bonding experience for your DH and Aria!
  • @midwestbaby Oh no, I'm so sorry...that must have been so hard and scary :( I hope you're doing better. Know you're not alone by any means! Hang in there. *hugs*
  • @midwestbaby I'm glad you got the help you needed and some rest, sending hugs and positive, calming vibes your way!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @midwestbaby I was just wondering where you've been! I'm so sorry you've had a rough few days, but remember that taking care of yourself is the best thing you can do for Aria! 

• @midwestbaby seriously, you were missed on TB!! Welcome home & spend all the time you can with your DH & baby Aria. <3
  • @midwestbaby Thinking of you as you head home.  Like others, I was about to ask around if you were okay!  Clearly we were all concerned!  

I hope that things level out for you some as you get home to your sweet girl and truly darling husband.  Take care of yourself, it's one of the best things that you can do for Aria.
  • @midwestbaby oh no! I'm so sorry you're going through a tough time. I've had moments where I've needed DH to step in and there is always an overwhelming amount of guilt with not being able to do it all but I try and keep in mind that if I'm not taking care of myself, I can't give the best to my daughters. You got this! Get those snuggles in now. They make everything worth it! 
    Baby #1: Palmer Olivia - October 2014
    Baby #2: Emmeline Grey - August 2016
    Baby #3: BFP 9/7/18  |  EDD 05/24/19
  • So I feel like, even with my history of depression/anxiety, I've handled the first month of having LO pretty well. All except for when it comes to DH. He says he wants to be helpful, but then doesn't do what he says he will do. Now I'll admit, he has helped clean up and support me with breastfeeding and stuff, but I thought after having LO that he would put video gaming to the side at least for awhile and that he would want to hold LO more often and bond. He did at first, but it's quickly changed.

I get so annoyed and depressed when he comes home from work and holds LO for all of 15-30 minutes, half the time after I ask if he wants to, and then says he wants to play his video games. I've been home all day taking care of LO and bonding, and you can't have one of your hands taken up since it prevents you from your games? We've had the discussion countless times over the past few weeks, and at this point it seems like LO isn't really consolable by DH and only wants me when he's upset. And when DH hears LO crying in his swing, he's quick to point out that he's crying but won't go try to take care of it, but then will tell me he can bring LO down to the basement while he plays his games and leave him in the swing. Um, okay, because obviously I'd love to have to go all the way downstairs whenever he's upset since you won't handle it.

I'm just so frustrated and 90 percent of the time the reason I cry is my frustration with how little DH seems to get it. He really doesn't seem to understand what to do with a newborn or how to support me sometimes, and I keep trying to communicate, but he just gets angry that I'm "telling him what to do." *sigh*

• So this is the first time I've been able to post since DD was born. It has probably been the most difficult 48 hours of my life since we've been home. I even have my mom and mil staying with me and I feel like such a failure. After night one I pretty much gave up on breastfeeding and am exclusively pumping right now. My goal is to do that until my mom and MIL leave in 3 weeks and then probably switch to formula, we'll see. My DH thinks I have postpartum anxiety? I've had some miserable thoughts the past few days. Things I can't even bring myself to say out loud. My mom and MIL took the night shift last night and I was able to sleep for about 8 hours (waking up every 3 to pump). 

I honestly am just at a loss of how I'm supposed to do all of this in 3 weeks by myself and am so overwhelmed. I just keep thinking millions of moms have gone through this and I just can't handle it. My mom, DH and MIL have been so extremely supportive and have been nothing but positive and caring. I just can't help think she's only been here 5 days and I am a mess. 
  • Thank you @liljabee. I think I just cannot get out of my own head. Everything seems so much bigger than it is. I am just having too many emotions right now. I know it will pass. Believe it or not today has been a little better than yesterday. I just need to take it day by day. 
  • @allishally13 DH and I are in a similar situation. DH hardly ever holds DS and when I ask him if he wants to he says that I already hold him too much so I should put him in the bassinette, even after he's taken all of his morning naps in there. It feels like not only does he not want to bond with DS but he's also critiquing me. I know it will get better and this newborn phase is not his favorite, but it's definitely gotten me down. I just keep reminding myself we went through something similar with DD and it did get better as she got older and he's on baby overload right now being home all day with us and taking care of DD. I did about lose it on him when I left DS downstairs to shower and when I came back down DH and DD were sitting on the couch while DS started crying and DH didn't even move to get him. 
  • @allishally13 my husband is also a gamer-- so much so that we went out for my birthday last night aND had about 3 hours just the two of us. When we got home, he asked if he could go play video games online with his friends, "but I won't if you don't want me to. " no, 3 hours with you on my birthday is enough, please go ignore me now. 

Do you have a baby carrier?DH will often strap baby on in the carrier and go play. They get to cuddle and his hands are still free to play. Baby stays pretty quiet and happy in there, too. Maybe that would be an option.

Dads have a harder time bonding with baby than mom's do, often. They didn't carry baby for 9 months, and when babies are this young so that all they do is eat, poop, and sleep, it's often hard for them. I've heard a lot of dads are excited to have an older kid they can play/interact with, not a  baby. It'll  get better.

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • @allishally13 I have those exact same thoughts about DH with DS. He isn't a gamer, but he loves to come home after work and just lay on the couch. 

The other day, I literally lost it on DH. I was screaming "I didn't make him myself!! You were there, you need to help. Stop waiting for me to ask... F**king step up and be a dad and bond with DS". Mind you- if is VERY unlike me to just lose it. Poor DH didn't realize that I was tired of asking for help. I should have said something earlier, and he should have helped more.

Its been 100x better, I just hope it stays. It's a whole new life for us and we are all adjusting. 
    34 Mother of 4 year old and 2 Labs. Happily Married to my Hubs of 6 years.
  • @ginger819 I'm glad to hear it does get better! I'm trying my best to just push through this phase with DH, since I know he really is a good husband and father, he just is different than me and thinks differently. It's pushing me to communicate even more than before, which I've always struggled with, along with asking for help.

@cait5413 I definitely feel for you- sounds like our gaming husbands can be very similar  :(  I always hope major life changes will break him away from games for a bit, but it's usually the opposite. I guess I have to remember games are also his coping mechanism, not just for enjoyment. I just wish he had a more useful coping mechanism lol! I'm definitely going to have him use the carrier starting tomorrow- we talked about doing that and forgot!

@TCUFrog08 I will admit, I have had multiple talks/breakdowns with my DH that I'm not proud of sometimes, but it's been an equal number of calm conversations discussing things as my flip outs.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance it's not just me and it will get better. 

• Thank you @midwestbaby and everyone else. Your words made me cry (of course). I wanted to update that I am feeling better and am feeling more positive. I still have definite feelings of anxiety but it doesn't leave me with the paralyzed feeling as before. The nights are the hardest. I am still pumping and am looking to make it till my mom and MiL leave and then will more than likely switch to formula. That will have been a month with breastmilk and I think I feel feel satisfied with that. 

All of you breastfeeding mamas, I can't even give you the accolades you deserve for making it through! 
  • I've heard that when a couple talks about having a baby the woman pictures then with a baby and the man pictures an older child that he can play with. 

DH will help with A when he fusses, etc but he's even said there's no real bond yet. But we have also been using the divide and conquer method of parenting. So he's been in charge of almost everything with DS1 when he's home. I can't complain too much. 
  • @hannah0726 thinking of you and praying that it gets easier as time goes on.  You are doing a fantastic job momma!

Anyone else out there just feel lonely?  We moved about a year ago and i have lost touch with my friends here.  Feel just alone in this plus dh is gone for the day so that doesn't help either. 
  • @sbelle474 I always tell DH that the loneliness is the thing I struggle with the most being a SAHM. Since the baby can't really talk to me, I have a lot of time to think any issues/problems going on in my life, then overanalyzing everything until the point where I breakdown. It may be different this time around because my toddler keeps me super busy. I also joined a moms group (MOPS) and we have regular play dates scheduled. It's intimidating joining an established group but the moms are super welcoming because they were once in the same spot. 
    Baby #1: Palmer Olivia - October 2014
    Baby #2: Emmeline Grey - August 2016
    Baby #3: BFP 9/7/18  |  EDD 05/24/19