August 2016 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding

Re: Breastfeeding

• Options
    Those trying to increase their supply... I read that breast milk supply is greatest between 1-5 am. So if possible, add a pump session in before or after baby nurses. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Options
    @jkershaw2013 Take a warm shower then hand express into a bottle. That should help take the edge off. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so frustrated today... baby has alternated crying and eating almost all day. He only took two long naps, the others were less than an hour. He keeps acting like he is hungry but then spits up everywhere. Is he eating too much, does he have an upset tummy? Anyone have any ideas? I am producing a ton of milk so I don't think that he's not getting enough. I haven't done anything different than any other day. 
  • Options
    @Nomoremiss, thank you for sharing - I'm currently in the same boat you were the first time around.  It's really nice to hear that it can be successful!
  • Options
    kwilliams3402kwilliams3402 member
    edited August 2016
    court5608 said:
    I'm so frustrated today... baby has alternated crying and eating almost all day. He only took two long naps, the others were less than an hour. He keeps acting like he is hungry but then spits up everywhere. Is he eating too much, does he have an upset tummy? Anyone have any ideas? I am producing a ton of milk so I don't think that he's not getting enough. I haven't done anything different than any other day. 
    We've had days like this... Baby's eyes are bigger than his stomach. What had worked for us is feeding an amount he can handle without spitting up--currently 2 oz and 5 ml--and then trying for another "full" feeding an hour later if he's still raging hungry, and very slowly upping the ML per feed every day or so. We've also started waking to feed every 2.5 not 3 hours during the day to up total quantity but maintain a feed size he can handle. Ours is an angry spitter-upper, so letting him overeat then spit up made him happy one minute and very angry the next.
  • Options
    So, tried some Fenugreek this morning as its starting to seem like my production isn't keeping up with LOs appetite.. The bottle also says it is used as "part of a sugar lowering plan." Started feeling shaky and needed a snack by 9:30, of course this could be coincidence as I'm not sure how quickly this stuff starts to work lol. Anyone else experience the shakes/ hypoglycemia with using Fenugreek? 

Also, maple syrup burps after just one dose. Ew. (Though much better than anyone who has taken fish oil capsules, ahh)

TTC 9/2013

BFP#1: 9/28/2013, EDD 5/28/13, MC confirmed 10/15/13, D&C 10/17/13

BFP#2: 1/10/2014, EDD 9/19/2014

• Options
    @kwilliams3402 it's hard to know how much he is getting when breastfeeding though  :/ today is going much better so hopefully yesterday was just a fluke!
  • Options
    We had a bit of a hard day and night yesterday. JR is making hunger cues and when I go to feed him he will push away his head or shake his head back and forth.  So he isn't latching which makes him go to the next level and start crying.  I will calm him down and try different boobs and different ways of holding him.  He will eventually latch but it's so upsetting to see him get riled up.  Any suggestions? 
  • Options
    court5608 said:
    @kwilliams3402 it's hard to know how much he is getting when breastfeeding though  :/ today is going much better so hopefully yesterday was just a fluke!
    True. Glad to hear today is better!!
  • Options
    We had a bit of a hard day and night yesterday. JR is making hunger cues and when I go to feed him he will push away his head or shake his head back and forth.  So he isn't latching which makes him go to the next level and start crying.  I will calm him down and try different boobs and different ways of holding him.  He will eventually latch but it's so upsetting to see him get riled up.  Any suggestions? 
    No suggestions, but we have the same problem most feeds. I know our baby had a tounge-tie... Does yours?
  • Options
    Engorgement is real and I don't know what to do! I'm 4 days PP, milk came in Saturday and over the past two days my boobs have nearly tripled in size and are pretty firm all the time. LO is nursing like a champ, generally every 2-3 hours, 10 minutes a side on average. I never feel like she's completely emptying. How do I get some relief of pressure and hardness? I know I shouldn't pump yet (LC @ the hospital said to wait and pump until 3weeks PP). 

Should I just use ice? Warmth? Pumping very small amount?!

How long does this initial engorgement last?!
    You might also try massaging while you're nursing to get her to better empty your boobs. GL!
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    @court5608 - Hopefully it was just a fluke!  Was he spitting up just a little or did he spit up what seemed like his whole meal? If he is spitting up a full meal and seems to be in pain then maybe try to keep track of what you are eating to see if anything is continually lines up. 
  • Options
    To add to @jacmkelley I am also letting DH bottlefeed from either what I pumped or when we have to supplement w formula and we really like the Comotomo bottles!! 
  • Options
    Does anyone have a baby that just refuses to nurse from one side. My left side out produces the right by 3 or 4 to 1 (based on what I can pump if he nurses from neither side) and baby has only nursed from the right side successfully and enough to clear it like once. He nurses from the left side maybe 2/3 the time that it's the first offered. I know it's best to alternate sides, but seriously considering giving up on that theory and just trying always starting with the side he likes, trying the non-favorite next but keep pumping the right (boycotted side) after feeding a. And by he doesn't like the right side I mean he wails, thrashes, and flat refuses to latch. We are almost 2 weeks in.

Any thoughts/experiences to share?
  • Options

@Mrsrundell

We had this problem too.  We were feeding every 3-4 hours and our baby was similar to yours, like he forgot how to latch and then totally frantic.

I now feed every 2 hours and this problem for us has been totally solved (don't worry, we have tons of other problems lol).  I suspect that he was just too hungry to know what to do when we spaced it out that far.  Maybe try a day with 2-hour intervals (or shorter?  Sometimes we feed again at an hour and 45 minutes).  

It is a grueling schedule but watching him get so flustered was so heartbreaking to me that I'll take the grueling schedule over that any day.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a baby that just refuses to nurse from one side. My left side out produces the right by 3 or 4 to 1 (based on what I can pump if he nurses from neither side) and baby has only nursed from the right side successfully and enough to clear it like once. He nurses from the left side maybe 2/3 the time that it's the first offered. I know it's best to alternate sides, but seriously considering giving up on that theory and just trying always starting with the side he likes, trying the non-favorite next but keep pumping the right (boycotted side) after feeding a. And by he doesn't like the right side I mean he wails, thrashes, and flat refuses to latch. We are almost 2 weeks in.

Any thoughts/experiences to share?
    I would actually do the opposite. Start with the side he doesn't like, that way he's hungrier (and wants it more) to work for it a bit harder. Definitely keep pumping that side though, to help it catch up. I think someone else brought this up before too, but I don't remember who.

• Options
    bananers said:
    Ok! Just have to post this because I feel that passionately about it. 
    With DD we bottle fed and could never find a bottle that was slow enough for her. We tried Dr Browns, playtex and another brand but can't even remember which. We bought slow flow nipples and couldn't ever find one slow enough. Closest we came was the playtex nipples. 
    We bought avent bottles this time around thinking they might be slow enough for DS for when I pumped. They were still really fast. I had a sample small bottle I got in a bag from somewhere during this pregnancy. And grabbed it to take to my moms for just in case situations. Well while we were there I was really engorged and had to express some milk and did so in the bottle. Ended up needing to give to DS and I was so happy!!! He kept up great and had zero issues with the flow. If any of you moms can't find a slow flow try the Mam bottles. It's the same brand as the pacifiers. I am so happy and excited lol. Zero choking from flow and hardly any gas after and during the feed. Even burping is minimal. 
    Just wanted to share in case anyone else has yet found a bottle that is slow enough
    Awesome find! Also, PSA -- Dr. Browns makes both preemie nipples and ultra preemie nipples, which are the slowest flow I've been able to find, and it's what they use in the NICU here. You can find them on Amazon.
    I had no clue they made those!!!! I never looked online we were always desperate and needed something now. I owned like 20 or 30 dr Browns with DD from all of the shower gifts it would have been sooo nice to have those lol 
  • Options
    KJ1416KJ1416 member
    edited August 2016
    @kwilliams3402. I had a similar problem with baby E for the first week. I also noticed she was not turning her head in the direction that she didn't like to nurse on.  I made sure to lay her down and turn her head in that direction and also massage the opposite side of her neck. I'm not 100% sure this was causing the nursing problem. I also made sure to nurse on the not preferred side. It would take several minutes to get her to latch and then she'd pop off serval times.  It was frustrating for both of us. 

Edited- words are hard with just a little sleep. 
  • Options
    @Mrsrundell we have that issue when he is really tired. I found laying on my back, with him on my chest, so all he has to do is face plant works well. He still tosses his head, but he thrashed in boob, not away and back.  Gravity is in his favor that way. Bonus, that position is better with my incision. Be careful though, ive found i need a spotter to nurse like this... since that is so comfy I pass out. 

• Options
    @skelly1990 mine do when it's time to nurse so usually every 2 hours.
  • Options
    Mine too. Or when baby fusses. 
  • Options
    @skelly1990 Yep, mine too. I don't set an alarm for feedings any more. My boobs let me know when it's time.
  • Options
    @skelly1990 same! I finally peaked at them when it was happening and the milk was flowing! Now even when my 2 year old gets whiny  it happens.... 

TTC 9/2013

BFP#1: 9/28/2013, EDD 5/28/13, MC confirmed 10/15/13, D&C 10/17/13

BFP#2: 1/10/2014, EDD 9/19/2014

• Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies! We'll give it a try.

We also got instructions from the pediatrician that baby isn't gaining weight fast enough, and getting more calories in before he falls asleep again is the priority. We've been waking to feed every 2.5-3 hours and had been supplementing without about 1/4 formula, but the quantity just plain has to increase... Which makes messing around with nursing from the non-favorite breast that maxes at about 10-15 ml pumping even less of a priority, frankly!
  • Options
    Yep, same. I tell DH "my spidey senses are tingling."

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    Idk about y'all but there's something about pooping that just alerts my boobs to let down...o.O
  • Options
    In another news, I was determined to breastfeed baby A all day today, meaning no formula whatsoever. Well here's what I realized and wondered:

Baby A's naps are shorter. She wakes up every 1.5-2 hrs to feed. This is probably because I don't give her the whole 4 oz she would take at once from formula.

Consequently, my boobs are raw (@bananers I love Earth Mama Angel nipple cream thanks to your suggestion a while back. Lansinoh always left this sticky residue on my fingers)!! 

But if I keep this up, it will soon signal my boobs to make more milk, right? 

To add to this, I would nurse and completely empty my boobs but also then pump right afterwards. I get 2 drops, maybe on each side. Is this...effective and expected? To get that little amount when you pump right after you nurse? 

I need some guidance here. Based on today's nursing regimen, am I doing things to help increase my supply?!
  • Options
    AliKay20 said:
    Idk about y'all but there's something about pooping that just alerts my boobs to let down...o.O
    LOL - I am the other way around. It seems like every time I nurse or pump I feel like I need to poop!

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    So glad I'm not the only one ☺
  • Options
    Huge relief @tisunge602!! This is encouraging. Thanks! I will continue with my regimen :)
  • Options
    @skelly1990 my mom always described her milk let-down as pins and needles, and now I totally get what she meant! Every time my LO starts to grunt or cry I get that tingly/pins and needles feeling in my boobs. 

• Options
    Well I think I'm finally getting to the other side of engorgement! Man it felt like my breast were filled with concrete! It had gotten to the point where there was so much pressure LO would just lap at my nipple and lickup the breast milk. I also experienced spraying of milk for the first time yesterday! She unlatched and it was still spraying, up her nose and all over her face it went! My letdown started to choke her. Now I'm still getting full but she is draining my breast now with each feeding.  Glad I pumped a free times to relieve the pressure. Apparently unmanaged engorgement can actually cause decreased production because the breast are so fill they signal your brain to slow down production! Don't want that! Plus I have 6 ounces stashed in the freezer now!
  • Options
    I'm wondering if DD is getting better at breastfeeding or my supply sucks the last two days. I used to be able to get a few ounces off each breast with pumping after she was finished, and now I get basically a few drops. In worried I won't be able to keep up. 

She feeds each side about 15-20 minutes per nursing session (so sometimes for 40 minutes, which really sucks when she cluster feeds). She seems very content after each feed. 

I am taking a lactation supplement, eating oatmeal kind bars, and drinking lots of water. 

I knew breastfeeding would be stressful, but I didn't realize how much I would worry about it and how time consuming it is to feed her. 
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18