1st Trimester
Options

Blue tip HCG wondfo with no progression>

So I'm in limbo, get my second beta done today but of course **had** to use a wondfo this am

looks like my lines are about the same maybe even lighter? Ive heard wondfo are not reliable for progression but I guess my concern is not only are they not getting darker but they have never been as dark as or close to as dark as the control line either... I'm specifically using the blue tip hcg ones ( although they came in the pink wondfo packaging). nervous as my 1st beta was so low and I was hoping to see a darker line to give me hope that my numbers doubled...

any input is appreciated

TIA

#1 DD June 2009
#2 DS July 2011
#3 DD June
CP December 2015
M/C 8/2016
Rainbow & Babe #4 EDD 7.28.18

Re: Blue tip HCG wondfo with no progression>

• Options
    Stop testing immediately!  The idea of "line progression" on an HPT is super inaccurate - you have no way of telling how diluted your urine is, and you can't be sure that the HPT has the exact same amount of antibodies on it as previous tests.  Sometimes it can take several days for lines to get noticeably darker.  Just rely on your betas and keep repeating to yourself, "today I am pregnant."  Any more testing and you're just going to keep driving yourself crazy.
  • Options
    There's no such thing as progression.  If there's a line then you are pregnant 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ... except when you're not.

#1 DD June 2009
    #2 DS July 2011
    #3 DD June
    CP December 2015
    M/C 8/2016

• Options
    ... except when you're not.

What do you mean? You said there's a line- that means pregnant.  If there's no line that means you're not pregnant
  • Options
    I mean I got a line this am and then this afternoon had a miscarriage

#1 DD June 2009
    #2 DS July 2011
    #3 DD June
    CP December 2015
    M/C 8/2016

• Options
    I mean I got a line this am and then this afternoon had a miscarriage

I'm very sorry for ur loss, I'm sure u can understand how ur post was confusing.   U last posted that u had a line which means u (were) pregnant
  • Options
    @tripledaggerWed95976 yeah at the time of the post I had not M/C yet. but it is deceiving to tell people that line progression NEVER matters, when clearly it can.

don't mean to be blunt, but as you can imagine I'm not on my best behavior right this moment

#1 DD June 2009
    #2 DS July 2011
    #3 DD June
    CP December 2015
    M/C 8/2016

• Options
    @LilyGracesMommy I'm really sorry for your loss. But, line progression still doesn't mean anything unless the line goes away completely. I would hate for another lady to see these posts and think that she too will have a MC based on this post alone. 

TW
    Ive had two losses before. It's an awful kind of hell. I feel so badly for you. I've been there. The miscarriage and loss board, as well as TTCAL have been invaluable to me. Sending Internet hugs and T&P. 
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @tripledaggerWed95976 yeah at the time of the post I had not M/C yet. but it is deceiving to tell people that line progression NEVER matters, when clearly it can.

don't mean to be blunt, but as you can imagine I'm not on my best behavior right this moment
    Understood.  ***tw**** I've had a MC (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies myself so I definitely understand the bluntness****end TW****

in terms of line progression though, each test has slightly different variances in the amount of dye that they have, which is why "line progression" has been empirically proven to be a very innacurate method of determining viability.  

Also, I didn't say it "NEVER matters" I said, "if there's a line then you are pregnant"- which is 100% true.....

sorry again for ur loss.  
  • Options
    There's no such thing as progression.  If there's a line then you are pregnant 
    Quoting myself just so things are clear on what I said....
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I'm sorry @tripledaggerWed95976 and @Wishilivedinflorida

i would never want someone else to believe they will miscarry given No progression on hpts

however, I feel like this board and many others are so overwhelmingly positive ( I get it, who wants to be the Debbie downer) that people get a false sense of hope ( given my lines I felt were  not only not getting darker but may have even gotten lighter) also I did have brown spotting ( which can be normal in 1st trimester) but all of that accompanied with a low beta of 46.1. I wish I had had more honest with my odds ( as much as I prayed for a positive outcome)

again in I wouldn't want someone to think they will for sure miscarry with my same statistics, but know that it can happen and not to be lulled into a false sense of security by optimistic posters

i felt more confident with others posting and that personally made my loss more painful because my hopes had been brought up.

again i do not want to scare anyone but as I'd said, I had wished someone would have been more straight forward with me

#1 DD June 2009
    #2 DS July 2011
    #3 DD June
    CP December 2015
    M/C 8/2016

• Options
    Just for anyone starting off and hoping their lines will get darker, my lines NEVER got darker. (I was obsessive and anxious so kept checking) It means nothing - a line is a line. Don't continue to test it will just drive you crazy.

OP sorry for your loss. 
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Options
    edited August 2016
    leksiL said:
    Just for anyone starting off and hoping their lines will get darker, my lines NEVER got darker. (I was obsessive and anxious so kept checking) It means nothing - a line is a line. Don't continue to test it will just drive you crazy.

OP sorry for your loss. 
    Very much this. I'm sorry for you loss @LilyGracesMommy, I had a loss at 7w before my current pregnancy. PGAL brain had me peeing on sticks long after I got my first positive just to see a line. When they stopped getting darker, I was concerned but decided to just stop testing since continuing was only going to make me more anxious (same reason I stopped temping after a slight temp drop). I am currently 27w pregnant with twins and my test line was never as dark or darker than the control line. I also had significant bleeding and cramping early on, and my first beta was only 30 - I was 100% prepare for the absolute worst. 

As others have said tests within and from different lots can have varying amounts of dye within the test, which will result in a darker or lighter line, regardless of actual HCG levels. Testing for a progression is fun until it's terrifying which is why it's not recommended as a method of tracking the health/viability of a pregnancy.

As @tripledaggerWed95976 said, a second line means that you are excreting HCG which means by definition that you are pregnant at the moment of the test. It doesn't mean that the pregnancy will continue with no issues or that you won't begin to miscarry at any time - only beta HCG by blood draw can give you an accurate idea of viability or health of a pregnancy (and even that can be misleading or confusing). 

edit for missed words and spelling
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers