Infertility

IVF group: start date 1st week of August

Colleen0516Colleen0516 member
edited July 2016 in Infertility
Hi everyone! The monthly IVF boards have been filled with so many people, I can't keep up on everyone's progress. So I decided I would start a weekly group; Anyone starting IVF between  6/30 and 7/5. It's easier to compare stories and results, and track everyone's progress. :smile: I technically start tomm but it's easier to start weeks on a Saturday (so I'm cheating a little lol) 

quick background: this will be my 3rd round of IVF. I did 3 IUI's and 2 rounds of IVF, with 2 FETs Inbetween cycles at my first Doctor. All ended in no pregnancy. I switched doctors, and she did one round of IUI to try and see how my body responded to a different course of medicine....and she got me pregnant! Unfortunately, I miscarried at 8 weeks. She did laproscopic surgery to see if I have endometriosis and turns out, I did! I also had a large cyst and a polyp that she removed. Now I am all cleaned out and set to start my first round of IVF with her (3rd round in total! Hoping the 3rd time is a charm!) 

Introduce yourself, give a little background and let us know your start date!! Support is the best thing anyone can offer during IVF! 
Me 30 || DH 36
Unexplained Infertility- Postive for MTHFR Gene Mutation

Natural cycles with 1 miscarriage
-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
-IVF #1-Follistim and Menopur= BFN
***11 Eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 1 (day 5) 2 made it to freeze
-FET #1- Transferred 2, day 5 embryos =BFN
-IVF #2- Follistim and Menopur = BFN
***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
-FET #2- Transferred 2, day 3 embryos = BFN
**Changed doctor**
-IUI #4- natural cycle = BFN
-IUI #5- Follistim (5 eggs) BFP- lead to Miscarriage  :'(
-Laproscopic Surgery for Endometriosis, Polyp removal and Cyst removal. 
-IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
-Lapropscopic surgery- Removal of Fallopian Tube
-IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze
Found out I was positive for MTHFR Gene Mutation during TWW of IVF #4

Re: IVF group: start date 1st week of August

• srh18srh18 member
    @Colleen0516 what a great idea! I find myself so overwhelmed on the August/September board. 

A little about me...I was diagnosed with PCOS and have tried several rounds of TI and IUI (total of seven, I believe...but it feels like it's been sooooo much longer). I'm currently on OCPs for my 1st IVF cycle. My baseline is 8/3, so I think I match with this board (I assume you mean starting between 7/30 and 8/5)! I did my ivf and injections classes last week and have been on vacation this week, trying to keep my mind off what's coming. I'm excited to maybe finally have some success but not thrilled about ivf itself, if that makes sense!

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I feel that this journey is so much more challenging because a positive beta doesn't necessarily mean success. It's hard, and I'm sorry. I am excited for your new cycle though-it sounds like they may have identified a problem and fixed it--a weird way of thinking about it maybe but I have constantly been wishing that someone could find a problem and fix it for me!! Sending you lots of luck!

What are you doing to pass the time? Like I said, I've been on vacation but still struggling with a couple of things. I finally told my dad what's going on and I feel simultaneously like he's been supportive and also like I've now had to take on the role of helping him process everything, which is draining and one of the reasons I hadn't told him before. I also have been struggling with the one versus two embryo decision, and my re is pushing for an answer sooner rather than later. There is just so much involved in this ordeal!!
  • @srh18 well sadly I am a pro at IVF at this point (my first doctor was terrible and I should have left sooner than later) its water under the bridge at this point- the positive is that I have experience with the protocol. My father-in-law is selling his house and I am helping him with it, so I have been kept busy by that thankfully. 

Its overwhelming at first, you get an injection schedule, it seems like it is so much. You do your first couple of injections and wonder how you're goig to do it every night. But then all of a sudden, it becomes routine and you adjust. You will be fine- I promise! 

I I had a major fear of needles when I started. I still cannot give myself the injections but I am much better with needles now. 

The the biggest stuggle is planning your days and nights around your injections. You have to remember to bring the needles and medication if you are going somewhere- but hey, it prepares you for everything you have to bring with you when you have a baby :blush: (positive thinking) 
    organization is key with IVF. Set up all your medications and needles in a safe place, I use a spare bedroom as my IVF room lol :lol:

My medications are different this round; new doctor, new protocol. I am on Lupron (2 times a day), follistim and menopur. So I have 4 daily injections. 
    What is your protocol? 
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    ***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
    **Changed doctor**
    -IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
    ***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
    -IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
    ***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze

• Loading the player...
  • So I just got my medication shipped to me. 
    I forgot how overwhelming it is to see it all for the first time! Eek :anguished:
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

•  HI Ladies, mind if I join you too? My baseline is on 8/3 and I start stims on 8/6. My details are in my siggy, but essentially have unexplained infertility with mild endo. My journey isn't nearly as long as many on here, but I am so ready to give IVF a try after 13 months of TI, IUIs and 1 lap surgery. My RE said I could keep trying IUIs, but since I am very fortunate to have a certain amount of insurance for infertility, IVF is the most cost effective option. While I do enjoy the monthly boards, it will be nice to have you ladies to talk with since we will be doing the same thing at the same time and I'm sure ill have questions with being a first timer! I did follistim with last IUI, so a little familiar with the meds, but definitely not looking forward to the PIO injections! I haven't gotten my detailed protocol, but on birth control right now, then stim with Follistim and menopur I think, and then add ganirelax before the trigger and retrieval (I believe this an antagonist protocol).

@colleen0516- I'm so sorry for your long hard journey and loss. I REALLY hope this time is it for you! it sounds like your new RE is great and getting rid of the endo/polyps could be just the thing you need!

@srh18- that was so nice that it worked out for you to take vacation right before starting! We had a mini camping vacation planned for 8/13-8/17 that I just had to cancel today. I knew when we booked it there was chance we couldn't go, which is why we only planned a camping trip and not something that we couldn't cancel. I'm bummed, but ready to just get going with this process. I know actually what you mean about not being excited for IVF, but excited for the higher change of success. I have also been struggling with the 1 vs 2 decision. I think we are going to wait to see how many we get, how good of quality, and how I am feeling before the fresh transfer (assuming my body is ready for that and we don't have to freeze). Its hard, because in an ideal world, I would have 2 kids separately, but I have learned that anytime you get any children, its the biggest blessing and I shouldn't count on getting another one later. So at this point, leaning towards 2 because I would rather have twins than potentially just 1 (or 0- hopefully not!). My biggest concerns about twins (besides the pregnancy risks) is that we have no families within 1.5 hours and my DH won't be done doing his MBA at night until May 2018, so that would be hard to not have a lot of support for potentially the first year.

Are either of you doing acupuncture or a special diet? I am doing both. The diet is just generally low carb and lots of veggies/protein (and no alcohol/sweets :( )Not being super crazy about it since I don't want to stress myself out, but figure it cant hurt and maybe help me lose some of these 10lbs I have put on in the last year of ttc. steady blood sugar is supposed to be good for egg quality and implantation... so we will see how this goes :)

History in Spoiler

Age: 32 (same with DH). Together since 2006, Married June 2013 and TTC since August 2015
    Diagnosis: Mild Endo, DOR (AMH of 1.5), Poor Quality Eggs/embryos, Displaced Window of Implantation (ERA Post Receptive)
    March-May 2016: 1 TI and 2 IUIs- BFN 
    June 2016- Laproscopy- found/removed mild endo and confirmed only 1 normal healthy ovary.
    August 2016- IVF #1 with Antagonist Protocol- Cancelled (2 lead follies), converted to IUI- BFN
    Oct-Nov 2016- IVF #2 with Estrogen Priming Micro Lupron Protocol, 2 eggs retrieved, day 3 transfer of 1- BFN
    January 2017- New RE, IVF#3 with Estrogen Priming Antagonist Protocol, 12 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 5 early blasts transferred (none to freeze :(), BFN
    May 2017- Sept 2017- Starting Donor Egg process! Waiting for donor to be available... and then she is pregnant at baseline :(
    Oct 2017- Donor #2: 25R, 22M,18F, 12 blasts frozen! Fresh transfer cancelled due to thin lining with fluid :(
    Nov 2017- Hysterscopy to remove polyp
    Dec 2017- DE FET #1 on 12/8 on 2 perfect blasts- BFN and devastated
    Jan-Mar 2018- ERA #1- Post receptive by 24 hours, ERA #2 RECEPTIVE with 4 days of Progesterone
    Apr 2018- DE FET cancelled for lining issues :(
    Jun 2018- DE FET #2 of two 1AA blasts- first BFP ever! Beta 10dp5dt- 378, Beta 14dp5dt- 2840, Beta 16dp5dt- 4035, beta 18dp5dt- 10916. Due on 2/20 with one baby after a vanishing twin
    Baby Born born early @ 33.5 weeks due to Pre-e
    Back for # 2!
  • srh18srh18 member
    edited July 2016
  • srh18srh18 member
    Omg I just wrote out like the longest post of my life and the app didn't post it. Ughhhhhh I thought it might still be there if I tried to edit it but nope. I will retype my post later. 
  • Welcome @JamieH2000
    By he time you're done with the round of IVF you will think, "well that wasn't so bad". 
    PIO is a pain in the butt (literally and figuratively)
    i find that quicker is better, and I don't ice anymore. But you will play around with what works for you.

i transferred 2 each of my last transfers and got negative betas (I got preggo from IUI ironically, but the IUI with my new doctor and I was on injectables)
    While my other IVF rounds were with another doctor, it makes me want to transfer atleast two, maybe more (which makes me nervous everytime I think of it, but my track record isn't too great) 
    its something I will discuss with my doctor after fertilization. Egg quality, how many eggs we have, and other factors will play a part in our decision. 

I'm excited to start, one step closer to our babies!  
    But I still get overwhelmed by it all. 
    Thsnkfully we can go through it together. It honestly was a saving grace for me the last few rounds. The support of others who are also going through a similiar situation is so key! 

Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• srh18srh18 member
    Okay...let's try this again!

@Colleen0516 I am on a high responder antagonist protocol--so not too bad compared to what I've seen others doing! I'll start out with two evening injections (menopur and gonal f) then will add a morning one when my follies get a little bigger (cetrotide). Fx that's the most I will have to do, but my nurse warned me that it was possible I would be adding the menopur and gonal f in the morning as well. My trigger is lupron and I'll be doing estrace and endometrin after transfer. It's not something I'm jumping for joy about, but it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things!  I can't imagine what all these injections would be like if I were scared of needles!! Hugs to you!! You said you were starting tomorrow--is that stims or baseline us??

I agree that the amount that came in the mail is super overwhelming. I really appreciate the advice about staying organized!! I have a couple of out of town things during stims so I get to take all of my meds on a plane-yay haha. I'm sure it will be no problem but it's just one more thing!!

@JamieH2000 welcome to you!! We are on the same schedule--baseline on 8/3 and stims on 8/6. I'm sorry to hear about your cancelled camping trip. :( I have been fortunate that timing with all of our plans has just worked out.  As for one or two, I am pretty much on the same page as you! I started this process knowing that we would transfer 2.  DH and my RE are adamant that we transfer 1 (I'm 27 and she said there's no reason to believe we wouldn't be successful with 1). I know about the risks but I also know that I would be DEVASTATED if we only transferred 1 and it didn't stick. I talked to my dad about it for a long time, and he basically told me that good moms don't make decisions that could put my and/or my child's health and safety at risk. He didn't use those words but it's what he meant and it ticked me off. Now that I've thought about it more I'm wondering if he's right. I don't want to make a decision based on fear that might not be medically sound. Ugh it's overwhelming. I like the idea of talking to my re about quality and such after fertilization but it's hard because we're being pressured into agreeing to a single transfer. I need to just stand my ground and tell them to wait!  How is the acupuncture going? It's something I've thought about but is not something I'm doing at this point. As for diet, since I was diagnosed with PCOS I have tried to limit dairy, gluten, carbs, and sugars. I'm not always great with it but I try. While I've been on vacation I have limited nothing so it's back to the grind when I get home. :) after transfer I will probably do the pineapple core thing because why not?

I'm excited to be able to connect with you guys in a smaller environment than the huge aug/sept boards! I am sure this will be a really great place to find comfort (and give it!!) as the next month goes by!  :) 
  • @Colleen0516- I hope I think that wasn't so bad after the first round! I will definitely be thinking that if it works the first time :) I'm hopeful it could, but also realize it could take more than one. It sounds like we are all on a similar page about transferring 1 or 2 and just have to wait to see how the numbers play out! That is exciting you are starting today- is it baseline or stims?!

@srh18- that's nice you got all your meds already!! I am still waiting since my nurse was out all last week. I really hope I get them on Monday or Tuesday because they mix some meds together for me. They said If I don't get them, they have some in the office that I can have and then I just restock them with mine once I get them. Are you going to be doing PIO or any sort of progesterone? I did the suppositories during my IUIs and while they were a little messy, I didn't find them to be a big deal at all. Wish I could do them with IVF instead of the shots... but obviously whatever gives the best change! That's frustrating about what your dad said.. I really think the only one that needs to be in agreement with how many you transfer is your DH. Maybe discuss the pro's/cons together and he will see your point of view? But again, its hard to decide until you  see how many you have left to freeze, etc. How come the RE is pressuring you to agree to a single already? do they have a policy on only transferring one? My RE gave me the national guidelines on how many to transfer, but even with the "good" prognosis (good embryos, under 35, first time IVF, some left to freeze) it said they could do 2 but they have to council us on the risks of twin pregnancy.

I enjoy the acupuncture actually, but a big part of it is my acupuncturist just had twins 5 months ago via IVF so she totally gets it. Its almost like therapy also, so makes me feel better spending like $150/week on two sessions. It is pricey, so we will see how long I do it if the first time doesn't work, but I am hopeful its helping- stress relief and relaxation if anything.  Are you ladies on any supplements? I am taking CoQ10 and vitamin D, in addition to a prenatal with active folate (instead of folic acid). I am only taking 100mg of the active CoQ10, but may double that once I start stimming since its supposed to help egg quality.

History in Spoiler

Age: 32 (same with DH). Together since 2006, Married June 2013 and TTC since August 2015
    Diagnosis: Mild Endo, DOR (AMH of 1.5), Poor Quality Eggs/embryos, Displaced Window of Implantation (ERA Post Receptive)
    June 2016- Laproscopy- found/removed mild endo and confirmed only 1 normal healthy ovary.
    August 2016- IVF #1 with Antagonist Protocol- Cancelled (2 lead follies), converted to IUI- BFN
    Oct-Nov 2016- IVF #2 with Estrogen Priming Micro Lupron Protocol, 2 eggs retrieved, day 3 transfer of 1- BFN
    January 2017- New RE, IVF#3 with Estrogen Priming Antagonist Protocol, 12 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 5 early blasts transferred (none to freeze :(), BFN
    May 2017- Sept 2017- Starting Donor Egg process! Waiting for donor to be available... and then she is pregnant at baseline :(
    Oct 2017- Donor #2: 25R, 22M,18F, 12 blasts frozen! Fresh transfer cancelled due to thin lining with fluid :(
    Jan-Mar 2018- ERA #1- Post receptive by 24 hours, ERA #2 RECEPTIVE with 4 days of Progesterone
    Jun 2018- DE FET #2 of two 1AA blasts- first BFP ever! Beta 10dp5dt- 378, Beta 14dp5dt- 2840, Beta 16dp5dt- 4035, beta 18dp5dt- 10916. Due on 2/20 with one baby after a vanishing twin
    Back for # 2!
  • Talk with your partner and decide how many to transfer. 2 embryos does not necessarily mean twins. I knew a girl who was scared of having twins. She did 3 transfers, all with 1 embryo. Well, that 1 embryo split and bam- twins! Moral: you can't control nature- what will happen, will happen. 
    I have transferred 2 embryos on 3 occasions and 1 embryo my first tjme, all 4 transfers resulted in 0 taking. So as much as you try to plan, you can't. I think listening to your doctor and your gut. Embryo quality, age, health, all factor in and your doctor should know what is best. 

I did acuphnture for a while and loved it. I think I may start again- it relaxes me a lot. 

I started injections today. My baseline was yesterday... Here's my next few days. 
    Today & tomm= AM: 20 units Lupron // PM: 20 units Lupron 

Monday & Tueaday: AM: 20 units Lupron // PM: 150 menopur, 150 follistim, 20 units of Lupron 

wednesday: AM: 20 units of Lupron and then I go in for bloodwork
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• @colleen0516- very good point about transferring two doesn't necessarily mean twins! How did your first day of stims go? That is interesting you have both morning and night shots. I didn't really consider that was a possibility but I'll see once my get my details on wed! I wish I was starting stims already! I started my low carb, low sugar, no drinking diet on Monday, so really just ready to get this show on the road! It's not like I need to eat bad or drink to enjoy myself, but it is so much harder in the summer to be healthy when there is so much more grilling out, fires and boating activities! It will def be worth it the minute I hopefully get that positive test :0)
    History in Spoiler

Back for # 2!
  • This is my first time with a morning and evening shot. Normally, they were just at night. 
    They aren't bad- they are the teeniest needles ever. My hubby did the 1st one, then he went away...So my dad did the night one. I decided it was time to conquer my fear, and try giving myself a shot. Well- 20 minutes of pep talking my self, about 50 failed attempts, but I did it!!!! I actually gave myself the shot in my belly. I told myself that if I wanted a baby bad enough, I would figure out a way to do it (so I had to do it lol) 
    seems like a stupid accomplishment for some, but it was huge for me. I attempted that so many times and never could- so in proud of myself. 

When do you ladies start injections? 
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Wow congrats! I did the follistism pen and the ovodrel shots with my IUIs, and I remember being so nervous! The build up is way worse than the actual shot. I am opposite of you where no one else has given me shots and now I may need DH to do the PIO ones... Tho I hear you can do those on your own too, it's just harder to reach behind you like that. Now that you have done your own, what are you going to do for the next one? I start my stims on Saturday, so still a while to wait!
    History in Spoiler

Back for # 2!
  • I still can't do the menopur by myself. For some reason It burns going in, and I'm nervous I will stop mid way. My husband will continue to give me the shots, he comes home today. But it nice to know I conquered a small fear. 
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Do you mean starting 7/30 - 8/5? I'm confused lol. If so, count me in! I am starting shots Aug 4! It's my first time..nervous and excited. 
    ***TW***
    DH & I both 34.
    8/16: IVF, antagonist protocol 
    21 eggs | 9 blasts | 7 normal through PGS
    10/16: FET  = BFN  :(
    12/16: Surprise natural BFP 
    Beta 1: 177 | Beta 2: 483 | Beta 3: 8,755 | Beta 4: 39,007. Baby born 9/5/2017

NOW on sibling journey. 
    2/20: FET = BFN :(
    4/20: Surprise COVID BFP

• @colleen0516-I have never done menopur before... not looking forward to that if it stings! Sounds like you have a great DH :) I'm sure mine would help if I asked, but don't know how he would be about giving me a shot! When is your next appointment to check progress?

@omarismyhomeboy- you should def join us! Colleen has already started stims, but myself and @srh18 don't start until 8/6.

History in Spoiler

Back for # 2!
  • Hi ladies! I took a break from The Bump this summer while we took a couple months off from treatments. It was AWESOME. It was like a huge weight off my shoulders to not think about anything fertility related. Anyway, now we are ready to start IVF! I have my baseline tomorrow and start menopur, gonal f, and Lupron later this week. My history is in my siggy.

I am mostly stressing about all the appointments and coordinating that with work.

Me 35, DH 37

Unexplained infertility and TTC since December 2014

February 2016 - May 2016: 3 IUI's -- all BFN

August 2016: IVF #1 (Lupron, Gonal F and Menopur) -- 12 retrieved, 9 fertilized, 3 frozen and 1 x day 5 hatching blast transferred -- BFN. Sent remaining 3 embryos for PGS testing -- 2 didn't survive thaw, 1 was abnormal.

February 2017: IVF #2 (Gonal F, Menopur, and Ganirelix) -- 12 retrieved, 6 fertilized, 3 sent for PGS testing and all were abnormal

March 2018: IVF #3 (Menopur, Follistim, Ganirelix and HGH) -- 14 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 4 sent for PGS testing, and 3 were PGS normal

May 2018: FET #1 -- BFN

August 2018: FET #2 -- BFP!!! healthy baby girl born May 2019!!

July 2020: FET #3 -- embyro did not survive thaw

September 2020 - IVF #4 (Menopur, Follistim, Ganirelix and HGH) -- 1 PGS normal

October 2020 - FET #4 -- BFN

January 2021 - IVF #5 (Menopur, Follistim, Ganirelix and HGH)  -- 2 PGS normal

February 2021 - FET #5 - BFP!!! Due 11/6/2021

• Dipping my toes in over here.  I am on day 4 of stims--menopur & follistim, so it seems like I fit in with this group.  I have lurked on the bigger boards and find them a little overwhelming, so thanks for starting this one and I hope we can support each other over here.  

/loss mentioned/
    This is my first IVF.  Have been working with my RE for just about a year, and we've done 6 IUIs that resulted in 2 losses.  It was hard to pull the trigger on IVF, but I'm excited (that we're doing something to increase our changes) and terrified (that it won't work).  

Lately I've been experiencing almost impostor syndrome with health stuff.  Like I had a sono this morning and RE did not have a lot to say other than everything seemed on track; it's pretty early, so that seems normal, but my mind starts going to the "it's terrible and he's not telling me to avoid stressing me out" mentality that feels really bad.  

I made a calendar to keep track of meds and we set things up in our guest bathroom.  Although this weekend we are going to have guests over, and we're going to do our best to keep all the injections, etc. quiet--not ready to tell this particular family member at this point.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • @teamginger13- How did your baseline go yesterday? Hoping that all the appts are fitting into your schedule ok! does your RE do early appts? my office is 45mins from my work, but luckily they open at 630am so I can still get in by 8 or 830.

@brightenmysky- Welcome! How are you feeling after 4 days of stims? So sorry to hear about your losses. I really hope IVF will be what works for you! I hear you about the imposter syndrome... sometimes its so easy to worry about the worst case scenario. Maybe you can ask you RE for more details at your next appt if that will make you feel better with more info? I am still waiting to get my specific protocol amounts, but then I am planning to make a calendar too!

AFM- I finally talked to the nurse this morning and I think we are about to get the meds resolved and ordered today! Won't get them in time for my baseline tomorrow, but o well, I don't start stims until Sat. My clinic doesn't do an injections class- we were told to review the injections on freedommedteach.com. Did anyone do a class and learn anything that isn't in the videos (if you have watched them)? Also my DH got a second SA and it turns how his morphology is only 2% instead of the 4% that is normal. Looking back at his last SA it was 9% (when 15% was normal for their scale). I feel like this was missed by last RE and this could be part of the reason we are unexplained. It makes me feel better than we didn't keep trying TI and IUI, and just went for IVF even though we have been ttc for only 13 months now.  Hopefully IVF with ICSI will be our magic bullet! Between borderline DOR, mild endo, and now some morphology issues, who knows what is really going on :)

History in Spoiler

Back for # 2!
  • @JamieH2000 thank you!  I am doing ok.  Feeling a little bloated, but otherwise not terrible.  I am also on estradiol and was feeling a little headachey, but it could also be weather-related.  

As for the class, DH and I had a meeting with a nurse where we went through all the meds.  To be honest, it was overwhelming to see everything like that all at once, and the nurse was condescending and did not reassure me at all.  We watched the videos on menopur and they were fine, and frankly I could have done without that "instruction" from the nurse...so I think you'll be fine.  You can always ask questions when you go in for monitoring or call if something comes up.  We have a morphology issue as well and it sounds like it's kind of up in the air how much that impacts things.  Hopefully ICSI will make it a non-issue for both of us!
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
  • @JamieH2000 my baseline was this morning and went well I think! I am waiting for the doctor to call me to give her usual update and what the next thing I need to do is. The earliest my RE can get me in is 8:00 and the latest is 11:00 AM. For some reason they do all the ultrasounds/bloodwork/monitoring in the morning and then save the afternoon for actual IUI's/ER, etc. What I have been doing is requesting the 11:00 and then just telling my boss that I am taking an early lunch. I can usually be there and back in an hour or so. The problem is I work for a small company and everyone is so nosey!

As for the injections, we did do a "class" but the nurse very strongly recommended freedommedteach.com so I bet you will get all the information! If not at least we have this group to get good advice from since we are all doing the same thing!

Me 35, DH 37

August 2016: IVF #1 (Lupron, Gonal F and Menopur) -- 12 retrieved, 9 fertilized, 3 frozen and 1 x day 5 hatching blast transferred -- BFN. Sent remaining 3 embryos for PGS testing -- 2 didn't survive thaw, 1 was abnormal.

February 2017: IVF #2 (Gonal F, Menopur, and Ganirelix) -- 12 retrieved, 6 fertilized, 3 sent for PGS testing and all were abnormal

March 2018: IVF #3 (Menopur, Follistim, Ganirelix and HGH) -- 14 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 4 sent for PGS testing, and 3 were PGS normal

• Hi ladies, sorry I went MIA for a day or two... So happy to see we have more people joining! 

@BrightenMySky welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your losses. I too had 2 miscarriages, it's never easy to deal with. Trying again is always a positive, but there is that underlying fear of "what if it happens again?". Stay positive- IVF maybe be your answer! 

What at has your protocol been so far? What medicine and doses are you on? 

@teamginger13 welcome!! So happy your back on the bump. It's great to take a break- I took one for a few months too-- you're right, it is like a relief, but I'm excited to begin again. IVF seems so chaotic and crazy until you're in it. Somehow it just becomes routine and part of your days. You will be okay! 

All: with the injections, I found watching videos online before doing the inject the first time to be helpful. You can go slow and follow the steps. Once you do it once you will be fine. I've done follistim, menopur, PIO, Lupron, ovidrel and hcg shots so feel free to ask questions of you have them. If I can help, I will! I actually re watched he videos yesterday before doing my shots again. Just to be safe! It's been a while since doing them last. 

Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Thanks @Colleen0516.  I am sorry for your losses.  As for protocol, I started estradiol post-o last cycle and still on it.  150 IU menopur & 150 IU follistim, will add in ganirelex at some point, and then progenyl (sp?) trigger.  I will be using the progesterone suppositories.  I have never taken progesterone before and have ideas from reading these boards but kind of a wild card in terms of what to expect, although I think I feel somewhat better about starting with the suppositories rather than more shots, but I know neither area  picnic.  

The only injection issue I have been having so far is with the menopur.  I was given 1 mL syringes and was told to use 1 mL of liquid, so the plunger of the syringe is all the way out and it was hard to inject it fast & steady (DH has been doing the menopur for me, although it's still difficult for him).  Today I got larger syringes from the RE, which should make it easier, and the RE also said I could use .5 mL of liquid instead, although that may make it sting more.  I'm planning to experiment because I'd like to at least feel like I can give myself all my shots in case DH has a meeting or something.  I'm finding the follistim pen pretty easy.
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
  • I agree that the follistim pen is easy. I don't usually do my own shots bc I have a fear of needles, but I've recently done a few myself. I feel like I can do the follistim if I need to, but my husband still does them. He feels a part of it when he does them (oh the emotional issues IVF causes lol)

menopur usually burns a lot going in, however they haven't been too bad this round (so far) slight burn, nothing major. Typically I find that it goes in slower regardless of the amount of liquid. Not sure why. the bigger syringe should def help you! 

Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• The bigger syringe was definitely much better.  I agree @Colleen0516 that part of it is DH feeling like he's a part of it.  My DH opened the box when it arrived and portioned out a few days' supply and organized everything.  I am the one going in for monitoring what's looking like every other day at this point, and my body is going through all this, so I'm fine to have this part off my plate. 
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
  • Ladies- thanks for the feedback about the classes. I'm feeling good about just watching the videos online now. It sounds like most of you are doing Follistim/Gonal F and Menopur? I just had my baseline (which so far was fine, they will call later with bloodwork) and I will be doing low dose HCG everyday instead of menopur. Anyone else doing low dose HCG? from what I can tell online, its often given to poorer responders to help the eggs mature. The studies looked good, so hopefully it will give me good results since I am borderline DOR for my age. I'm sure my DH would help with the shots if I asked, but I think I am too nervous to let him stick me with a needle and would rather just do it myself :) I may have to reconsider with the PIO though- I think it may be hard to reach back there!

@brightenmysky- I personally didn't really mind the suppositories and wish I could do them instead of the shots. They can be messy, but I only had to do one at night so that wasn't too bad. Hopefully you won't have to do them more than once per day.

@colleen0516- Have you had a monitoring apt yet? hope you are having good progress when you do go in!

History in Spoiler

Back for # 2!
  • @JamieH2000 thanks for the reassurance about the suppositories, although mine will be 3x/day.  I am just going to be happy right now because if I make it to that point, it means the stims will have been successful and I'll hopefully have something to transfer.  I'll worry about having to put in the suppository in the middle of the work day later!
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
  • I actually prefer the PIO to the suppositories. The suppositories irrate me a lot, and the PIO isn't terrible. 

I did monitoring today... I'm increasing my follistim to 225 and the menopur is still at 150. 

I go back on Friday :smile:
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• Colleen0516- that gives me hope that the PIO won't be so bad maybe!! Hope you are seeing good growth tomorrow!

The nurse just called with my protocol and it seems a little different than most so wanted to get your thoughts. I will be doing 350 of follistim and 1 pill of dexamethasone Sat-Mon, with appt on Tuesday. I believe later I will start doing low dose HCG (no menopur) and ganirelax. Does anyone have anything similar? I feel like this is really high follistim to start and most others are doing menopur the whole time. Not questioning the protocol really, just like to understand what others are doing and really curious on how they decide what protocols to do....

History in Spoiler

Back for # 2!
  • Is anyone considering PGS testing? DH and I leaning that way but are still talking about it.

Me 35, DH 37

• Colleen0516Colleen0516 member
    edited August 2016
    @JamieH2000 everyone's protocols are different- hey are geared to your body. I do 2 vials of menopur but heard of people doing 6. That seems so high to me, but that's what their body needed. 
    350 is high cimpaired to what I am doing, but you're on different Medicines, maybe they need to be that high. It never hurts to ask you doctor these questions. In the beginning I was afraid to ask, too shy. But now, I ask a million questions- I want to know all the details of what I am undergoing. 
    positive note: the follistim shot is so easy! Your lucky! :smile:

@teamginger13 we haven't gone down that road yet, but I know a lot of people who did and do. For us, the $800 out of pocket was a lot. So we talked to the doctor and she said she didn't feel it was necessary yet. If this round doesn't work, then we may consider doing it. 
    What's cool is that you can find everything out about the baby, if you want to! 

All: let's talk sideeffects! I forgot how much these medicines effect me. Mood swings, headaches, exhaustion.. Man oh man! I feel like it's worse this time, maybe Lupron? I've never been on it before. Anyone else have side effects?
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• @colleen0516- you are so right. I really should ask more, and I will at my next appt. I just didn't want to seem like I was questioning the nurse who called with the instructions since the RE decides the plan anyways. I'm not really concerned it's not a good plan, just more curious about how they decide since mine seems different from most I have seen. But you are right, so glad the needles for the follistism are small!

@teamginger13- at this time we aren't doing PGS because it would be like $4k out of pocket for us. The RE said ahe didn't think we needed it since we are 28 and this is our first time. If we have multiple failed transfers I think I would definitely consider it for the second round.

no side effects for me yet, since I haven't started :0) just AF cramps since I stopped BCP 3 days ago. Interested to hear how everyone else is feeling and hope it's not too bad!!
    History in Spoiler

Back for # 2!
  • I am feeling really bloated, have a few bruises at injection sites, and my arms are showing wear and tear from these every-other-day blood draws.  I think the meds may actually be helping me sleep a little better.  My acupuncturist said you often take the stims at night to deal with drowsiness side effects, so I guess that's a bonus, but it's hard to wake up in the mornings.  I started Ganirelex this morning.  Stung a little after, and hopefully side effects during the day won't be too bad.  I think it's going to be dresses only from here on out for me...no more waistbands of any type.
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
  • No side effects for me yet! This is my second day of Lupron (20 in the am and 20 in the pm) and then I start stims tomorrow. Like @JamieH2000 I stopped BCP a few days ago so am starting AF like symptoms.

I am saving all my "baggy" work shirts for next week and the week after since I heard bloating/weight gain is imminent.

Me 35, DH 37

• I hear you ladies about the loose clothes! Was just thinking about getting some more summer dresses (hopefully on clearance!) since most of my work pants are formal and I can't bottom most of them already :( Dang 10lbs from the last 5 months of treatments/limited exercise! Really wish I wasn;t going into (hopefully) pregnancy being my heaviest ever... but what can you do! Not worth worrying about now and i'll deal with it after :)

I am anxiously waiting for my meds to be delivered today. What a week it has been trying to get them ordered through stupid CVS! I need them starting tomorrow... so just hoping they show up with no issues!

History in Spoiler

Back for # 2!
  • @JamieH2000 hope the meds come today no problem.  This process is anxiety-inducing enough without those kinds of added hassles, sorry you are dealing with that!

And I don't think we are going to do PGS testing.  My RE said it is not something he would push based on our history (age + m/c history is more or less explained in his view).  I am anxious to do a transfer, and I am also not overly optimistic we'll have many (if any) embryos, and I think if we only have 1 or 2 it will be hard for me to go through the extra steps with them.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
  • The weight gain :confounded: it's horrible! I'm with you @JamieH2000 I wanted to be a little bit more for pre pregnancy but it's impossible. Between the medicine weight gain and the restrictions on working out- we are just screwed lol 

@BrightenMySky I too sleep better, but I CANNOT wake up. I'm so groggy. I normally wake up at 8 on weekends, feel great and rest. Now, I struggle to open my eyes at 9:30 and I'm so exhausted still. 
    Thankfully it's summer and I'm off so I can relax. (I shouldnt complain) 

my my belly is pretty bruised this time around too. 
    4 shots a day could do that though. Thank goodness for One peice bathing suits :wink:

So I got a follicle report today: 
    i have about 5-6 on my right side and about 6 on my left. They are all measuring around the same size 9 to 10 range. I was pleased with my update. I normally have one or two follicles that takes a major lead and the others are left behind- so I'm happy that they are growing evenly this time. 
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• My meds did come today! And it wasn't too overwhelming. Just wanted to make sure I got all the right ones in the fridge. I'm starting with just the follistism and the dexamethsone pill, so only one shot at first and I've already done the pen so feeling good about that!

@brightenmysky- I really hope you get more than you are expecting! When do you have your next check in?

@colleen0516- that's great news!! I really think this will be your time! The only good thing about doing this more than once is that hopefully they get smarter about the protocol each time and can get better results! 
    History in Spoiler

Back for # 2!
  • @BrightenMySky why do you think your embryo count will be low? 
    Me 30 || DH 36

-3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    **Changed doctor**

• I just don't think I'm responding well, and my AMH and FSH aren't great, although I typically did fine with the Clomid cycles. I was back this morning, still saw two on each side and not much growth. Not changing up my meds, but I'll be stimming for longer and probably will need more meds. We are fortunate to have some insurance coverage for the time being, but it doesn't cover any injectables, so getting the drugs shouldn't be too stressful because worst case scenario, I'll get them from the specialty pharmacy near my house because I'm paying oop in any case. 

Not sure if anyone else has gotten weird about food. Lately I've been hungry, but nothing appeals to me, and then when I finally do eat, it doesn't taste good. I'm thinking I need to get more protein, so I ordered some drink powder that my brother recommended so hopefully that will help things. 
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016