September 2015 Moms
Options

Climbing out of the crib!

Ronen is 11 months today. Last week he started trying to climb out of the crib but he couldn't get his leg high enough. Well fast forward to today, he climbed out of his crib and dropped himself on the floor. I thought I had a while before this happened. 
 I don't know what to do!  The crib is already as low as it can go. I took the mesh bumpers off thinking that's how he was getting up. Nope,  that didn't change the outcome.  He can't be ready for a big boy bed already.   :'(   I didn't have this issue with the older two.  

any suggestions? 

Re: Climbing out of the crib!

• Options
    I would try almost anything before moving to a big boy bed that early YIKES! Have you thought of using a sleep sack so he can't get his leg up that high? I've heard they can really help even with 2 year olds.  I've also heard of people putting the mattress on the floor while still "in" the crib if that makes sense.  If there is a gap you can raise it using those foam floor mats.  
  • Options
    so I had been looking into this issue - we aren't there yet (hopefully this won't jinx me)-- but wanted to be prepared and was kind of just intrigued.  This website had some nifty ideas to avoid a couple months before the toddler bet...  www.giddyupcycled.com/crib-hacks/   I mean I'm not sure how safe they are but just be aware of the safety concerns surrounding each of them obviously :) just thought they were clever and could possibly work!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just saw @Ellemf728 comment about putting the mattress on the floor -- that website shows you how to do that and how to make sure its not a hazard (height issues).
  • Options
    I second using a sleep sack if your baby will sleep with one on. Sleep sacks make it much harder to swing one leg up!

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!  I'm going to put the mattress on the floor and see how it goes. 
  • Options
    Oh no! I'm sorry this is happening so early.  My son climbed out of the crib when he was 16 months, first attempt and broke his elbow.  My friend did suggest putting the mattress on the floor.  Also, not sure what your crib looks like, but she also suggested to turn the crib around.  Our crib was higher in the back and the front rail was lower.   Turn the crib so the lower rail is up against the wall and the higher rail is in front.  I went to a toddler bed, but I could see these suggestions could buy more time.  
  • Options
    Oh my goodness! Do you have a shorter crib and a super tall baby?! That's crazy! I knew Noah was going to be tall so I looked for the tallest crib I would find lol 
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    We bought this super fancy crib with the attached changing table, which not only requires a special size changing mat (that I never could find), but also makes it incredibly easy to escape! She hasn't gotten all the way out YET, but it's just a matter of time! And I can see her using the drawers as "steps" too. Smh... #FutureEscapeArtist 

ETA words 

• Options
    Huh, we must have extra tall crib rails because DD is in the 98th percentile for height and only her eyes peek over the top if she is standing on her toes and really stretching. I can just barely touch the crip mattress if I reach in and am standing on my toes which makes getting ahold of pacifiers a treat. 

My friend had that problem with her 2 year old. She was raiding the fridge in the middle of the night and she got a halo wearable blanket that has holes for her legs so she could stand up and walk around in it, but she couldn't get her leg high enough to climb out. 
  • Options
    AiramJAiramJ member
    I haven't tried it myself, but you could sew a strip of fabric between the legs on the pyjamas, that way it should be pretty hard to move legs far apart and therefore not get it high enough to put on the top of the crib. It doesn't have to be super short, about 5 cm.
  • Options
    missliz53 said:
    Huh, we must have extra tall crib rails because DD is in the 98th percentile for height and only her eyes peek over the top if she is standing on her toes and really stretching. I can just barely touch the crip mattress if I reach in and am standing on my toes which makes getting ahold of pacifiers a treat. 

My friend had that problem with her 2 year old. She was raiding the fridge in the middle of the night and she got a halo wearable blanket that has holes for her legs so she could stand up and walk around in it, but she couldn't get her leg high enough to climb out. 
    What kind of crib do you have?
  • Options
    A bassett crib. We bought it used otherwise new they were over our price range considering we were only going to use it for 1 baby. It converts into a toddler bed.