1st Trimester
Options

Good excuses for not drinking?

I am a big social drinker (when I'm not pregnant, obviously!) and ever since we've found out I'm pregnant and have been in a social situation where I had to turn down a drink, I've been totally busted by my friends because they know I would never do that.  I've tried taking the drinking and not drinking it, doing the swap with the husband (we are not coordinated enough for this), saying I'm on a cleanse, I'm trying a dry month, none of it works!  We have a big weekend with friends coming up and I would love to pull it off and keep this under raps a little longer (I'm only 6 weeks, it feels too early to tell the world).  Do any of you have good tips or techniques?  Thanks in advance!

Re: Good excuses for not drinking?

• Options
    This is discussed fairly frequently.  You may want to try doing a search to see what other ladies do. 
  • Options
    I agree this is a topic that has tons of posts. That said I'm a big social drinker and a "I'm on an antibiotic that I can't drink with" always works. People aren't going to pry about what you are on for. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    MTB16MTB16 member
    Honestly switching drinks with the H is incredibly easy. No one is paying attention, just pretend to sip, put it down, he picks up yours, etc etc. 

or the antibiotics excuse always works. 

or if you arrive first order a sparkling water with lime and everyone thinks it's a gin and tonic. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree with PP - order a nonalcoholic drink that looks alcoholic and/or get a beer, dump it, fill with water, etc.
  • Options
    You can say you're counting calories and jump up, show off your waistline and say "I'm down five pounds, can you tell??" And then everyone will be oh yeah, you look great! And leave it at that
  • Options
    MrvlMrvl member
    I use the: i have to drive home-excuse. Also i just skip more social gatherings with the 'almost summer.. work is crazy'-excuse.. and then i go to bed at 8 ;)
  • Options
    Momof1 said:
    An idea is to say: I am on perscription that alcohol can alter the effectiveness of the med. I know when I was on Z Pack. Alcohol was strongly discouraged by my doctor. 
    You can not drink if you're on Flagyl (metronidazole); it will make you incredibly sick.  If anyone says 'one drink wont hurt while you're on antibiotics', it's actually listed on the drug facts, show them, people usually shut up when they see it in writing.
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• Options
    You can say that you're on a medication that alcohol interacts with. Or, you can order/make your drinks virgin when no one's looking. Or you could do what I do: say alcohol has been giving you terrible heartburn lately, so you're doing without for a while.
  • Options
    I am in the same boat. I've been just ordering virgin cocktails or look alikes. Good Luck!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker