July 2015 Moms

Tooth paste or water?

Happy Sunday mamas! We went to out 1 year appt and were told we could use toothpaste but I also heard other mamas say they use water instead of toothpaste? Is there a particular reason, what is everyone using with their little ones? Thank you in advance mamas and have a great and blessed start of your week! :blush: God bless! 

Re: Tooth paste or water?

• Toothpaste. ..just a small amount. Smaller then a pea. My daughter loves brushing her teeth.
    n3na94
  • You can use a fluoride free kids toothpaste until he is old enough to know not to swallow it.  
    n3na94andrawrmeda2
  • Loading the player...
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    We've used fluoride free since she got her second tooth at 3 months. Just a small dab. 
    n3na94
  • We use water because our daughter has no teeth :)
    n3na94
  • We use fluoride free toothpaste, smaller then a pea, for her teeth.
    n3na94
  • a rice sized amount of fluoride toothpaste
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    n3na94
  • My pediatrician and a dentist told me to use fluoride in his tooth paste. I haven't gotten one with fluoride yet though. 
    n3na94
  • Use Spry toothpaste (Amazon) it's got xylitol and is safe to swallow. My almost 5 year old still uses it. But water is also fine for now. The brush is the most important at this age. 
    n3na94mrsrep123mrssylvester
  • So i have a fluoride free one for my son but he freaks when I try to brush his teeth. The other night I let him hold it and he sucked on it or bit it. Should I try to brush his teeth or just let him do that? It seems like he gets it on them since he only has 8 teeth and they're all in the front.

• So i have a fluoride free one for my son but he freaks when I try to brush his teeth. The other night I let him hold it and he sucked on it or bit it. Should I try to brush his teeth or just let him do that? It seems like he gets it on them since he only has 8 teeth and they're all in the front.
    My son doesn't really like it either. He just closes his mouth lol I try pretending I'm brushing my teeth with it but he is too smart lol I will try to give it to him and see if he sucks it. I know there is a banana toothbrush they can play with anyone have it? 
    andrawrmeda2
  • We have had the banana brush since he was really little. Used it more for a teether, although I would often pretend to brush his teeth with it in hopes of getting him used to the idea when it was time. Also I always wiped his gums with a washcloth when he was in the tub to prepare for brushing. So now that we have been using an actual toothbrush and the fluoride free paste for a while he does pretty well. Always opens up. We don't always get to brush thoroughly but he only has 4 teeth and we're still trying to put good practices in place! I say just keep trying, you'll get there eventually! There's so much for them to learn!
    andrawrmeda2n3na94
  • I have gotten the habit of sitting on the bathroom floor with him and I'll brush my teeth and help him, but he still just wants to bite it. I have been trying to do it twice a day to see if that helps. I never thought about wiping his mouth with a washcloth though. 

• Our pedi told us at her one year visit that we can start using fluoride free toothpaste. We were just using water before.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    n3na94mrsrep123