Babies: 6 - 9 Months

8 month sleep regression

(This is my first time posting on the forums, so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place, don't use the correct terms or formatting, etc.)

My daughter will be 8 months old tomorrow, and for the last week she's been going through the 8-10 month sleep regression. I've read all about it, but wanted to ask if anyone has answers to a couple of specific questions. She is (or was...) sleep trained and sleeping well at night. She still goes down relatively easy at first, then wakes up MAD. Everything I've read says that during this time, you should do things like you've always done, and don't create any bad habits or revert back to how things were before she was sleep trained. But here's the thing--one of the big reasons she gets so upset is that she wakes up, starts crying, sits up, and then seems to forget how to lay back down because she's so worked up. Or she rolls over, sits up, and sticks her arms and legs out of the crib. Or tries to stand up, while holding onto the crib. So how am I supposed to let her cry it out. She can't fall asleep if she's sitting up or has her arms and legs sticking out of the crib, right? She seems to get WAY more upset than when we were originally sleep training her.

So I guess my question is this--do I just do the exact same things we were doing while sleep training? Go in every 5, 10, 15, minutes, comfort her, and then leave even if she's still crying? Do I just lay her down, and hope that eventually she'll be so tired, that she stops sitting up?

Thanks!

Re: 8 month sleep regression

• There is ANOTHER sleep regression?? 

I have no answers as we have "bad sleeping habits" at 7 months old but good luck!
  • Lol there are several more sleep regressions @ATolentino89. it's a never ending sleep battle.
  • Loading the player...
  • doodleoodledoodleoodle member
    edited July 2016
    I sleep trained my daughter as well and while she's not crying anymore she has started rolling onto her tummy and playing as well as sticking her legs out of the crib. I go in and put her back onto her back (she won't sleep on her tummy and has forgotten how to roll onto her back for some reason) and place her back into the middle of the crib. More often than not she will go to sleep. If she doesn't then I'll get her out of her crib and try again in 30 minutes or so. 

ETA I just realized that my comment has almost nothing to do with what you were asking. I was talking about initially falling to sleep and naps. Whoopsie.
  • kdoak2015 said:
    Lol there are several more sleep regressions @ATolentino89. it's a never ending sleep battle.

Yep. My 20 month old has regressions. My 4 year old wakes up crying randomly. It never ends with kids.

OP I would do what you did when you initially sleep trained and stay 100% consistent, night after night. This will pass, until the next phase!

• TwizBeans said:
    kdoak2015 said:
    Lol there are several more sleep regressions @ATolentino89. it's a never ending sleep battle.

Yep. My 20 month old has regressions. My 4 year old wakes up crying randomly. It never ends with kids.

OP I would do what you did when you initially sleep trained and stay 100% consistent, night after night. This will pass, until the next phase!

Crap. 
  • My 9 month old does exact same thing. It almost never worked that she would fall asleep on her own when that happened. She did once or twice but she was literally sitting up then bent over face plant sleeping. So now I have to keep trying to lay her down. After a few times if she doesn't give in then I have to pick her up and hold her and rock her til basically asleep. Worst times I've had to sleep In guest room with her for a few hours, or feed her (which I know is not helping the bad habits but nothingg else was working and I'm not one for CIO if she's screaming). I'd prob say do what you did before but obviously she may scream for really long or not stop if she can't lay down :-/
  • Just when we got them in a good place, they started rolling. Now they're sitting up. I'm right there, too.
    I just said to my husband that before, when she woke up, she would just eventually get bored and fall back to sleep, because she couldn't do anything. Now that she can do gymnastics in her crib, it's a nightmare. The one thing we've discovered works is to sit next to the crib and hold her hand through the bars. She likes having her hair stroked, so sometimes if she sits close enough to the side, I'll do that if she lays down. I'm sure I'm breaking a million rules, but no matter what you do, you break SOMEBODY's rules.