June 2016 Moms
Options

Moms who go Bump in the night/Randoms

Re: Moms who go Bump in the night/Randoms

• Options
    This is fabulous information! Thank you. I'm stuck now between getting all in ones or pockets. I guess I could obviously get some of both, that would make sense. I don't think I'm quite brave enough for the prefolds, but I'm worried about the absorbency of all in ones overnight. Am I overthinking that, or are pockets that I can put extra liners in at night my best bet? Also, toilet sprayer, is that necessary?
    I would do pockets then cause you can add to them. I love my bumgenius pockets but the one issue I have with them is that they are more likely to leak. Reason being is that they are normally made with a stay dry liner which does not absorb as fast as cotton so if you have a heavy wetter, the pee may pool and leak a little before the microfiber can suck it up.  

I'm actually looking into new prefolds for Preston cause I need more absorbancecy during the day. I wanna get bamboo or hemp cause they absorb super fast and hold alot
  • Options
    tucrew said:
    Have we discussed cloth diapering? I really think we have, but I've searched and I can't find it. The guilt of watching the world's worst nap-sack of awful diapers go out in the trash each week and knowing that they will never break down was already starting to eat at me. Then this week Miles got a diaper rash so bad his poor cheeks were bleeding. It's making me rethink my disposable route, but I have no clue where to start with cloth.
    I cloth diaper too, with a combination of Charlie Banana (primary), Bum Genius, and Rumparooz pockets. Happy to answer any questions. She does disposables at my mom's (Huggies), and when we travel. I just did Babyganics for our trip to SC because they were on sale, and I was gone for over a week in a hotel, so cloth was a no-go. Only time she hasn't gotten a rash on disposables, actually. I admittedly don't pay for utilities (job covers my housing), but the cost savings and the lack of rash is great. Plus, they don't seem to smell as bad. If I were to have a second, I would definitely cloth diaper again. And I work full-time as a teacher. 
    My LO had a nasty rash with babyganics too and she's always been in disposables. Weird. You'd think they'd be gentler for what they are.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Anyone's LO absolutely hate the walker? Mine absolutely loathes it. He will cry in when he's in motion.

Also, thanks for the head's up on the babyganics. There's a bunch of clearance diapers at Target for that brand and I was about to pick up a pack of those. Funny, my LO has taken even the cheapest of diapers (Babies R Us) and has not had a single issue with either. He's never had a diaper rash, EVER.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    We've always used Pampers Swaddlers and only had diaper rash once. The reason for that was traveling for a week without our usual butt paste (Baby Butz). We applied that on him asap and his rash was gone within a day. We swear by it, it's fantastic.
  • Options
    Anyone's LO absolutely hate the walker? Mine absolutely loathes it. He will cry in when he's in motion.

Also, thanks for the head's up on the babyganics. There's a bunch of clearance diapers at Target for that brand and I was about to pick up a pack of those. Funny, my LO has taken even the cheapest of diapers (Babies R Us) and has not had a single issue with either. He's never had a diaper rash, EVER.
     I think a walker would be fun cause Preston loves to move!  We have a push one but he can only use it on carpet right now and most of the house is hardwood.  

Preston always did better with cheaper disposables oddly enough.  I convinced my mom to use Seventh gen on him cause we've had the least issues with those and we out coconut oil after each diaper change and I make my own wet wipes using only water cause every single wipe I've ever used has reacted.
  • Options
    I used to use Pampers swaddlers, but recently switched to pampers babydry because they're more absorbent for overnight. And since they're cheaper anyway we just use them all day.
  • Options
    khenry12khenry12 member
    edited March 2017
    I have cloth and love them. I use prefolds, which I pin around her, and a coverall. I like green mountain diaper prefolds. They have many sizes and thicknesses to pick from. I have around three dozen and wash them every other day or so.  I have a few bamboo inserts we used to use at night from blueberry. Also use a mix of blueberry plu coveralls and wool coveralls from gmd. I like them both. I find pinning the diaper around her gives fewer blowouts. We used to use snappies but once she got more mobile and they gave her a horrible friction rash. I have dramco wet bags in the small and regular size. Often I find the small bag is enough for short trips. Also I always take an extra small wet bag for possible poop. 

I have used babyganics and honest co diapers (before her cord stump fell off and when we travel far and have no washer access) and had no rash issues. 

I think the impact on the environment is important to avoid. If our children are to inherit the earth, I'd like to give them one without diapers in landfills. 

ETA we have a charlie banana sprayer and I rely on it a lot for nasty jobs even beyond diapers. 
  • Options
    This is fabulous information! Thank you. I'm stuck now between getting all in ones or pockets. I guess I could obviously get some of both, that would make sense. I don't think I'm quite brave enough for the prefolds, but I'm worried about the absorbency of all in ones overnight. Am I overthinking that, or are pockets that I can put extra liners in at night my best bet? Also, toilet sprayer, is that necessary?
    I'd go pockets. I do the Bum Genius for night, and add an extra insert (I was given some from a friend, some fleece and others are maybe hemp blend?). I find the Charlie Banana don't have quite enough space in the pocket for the 3rd insert. Sprayer is definitely not necessary! I've had her in CDs since 10 days old, and I've never wished I had one. I have a little scraper that I was given, but a cheap-o spatula would be fine to scrape off the chunks. I wash every other day usually, so nothing has too long to sink in. Also, day care has no problem with the pockets as long as they are stuffed and ready to go, which is why I didn't get more pre-folds after she outgrew her newborn stash. 
  • Options
    @art+lea2013 I love the print on your dress!
  • Options
    @art+lea2013 huge success!! And that pic is a cute!
  • Options
    We lived through the wedding tonight! Miles had to snack on cereal through the whole thing so that he didn't talk. I managed to get us both ready by myself as DH was best man and unavailable. And Miles didn't completely melt down when I had to hand him off to my sister so that I could do my reading. I call all of those a win!
    You look great! And as always Miles is adorable!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    lm45678lm45678 member
    edited March 2017
    Separation anxiety has begun... The worst part? She even has it when I give her to DH. Poor guy! :# He's so great with her too, he won't say anything but I know it's upsetting him. I just keep reminding him it's because I have the boobs!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Well my girls just gave cam a cookie and he is going to town on it. I guess he loves big people food when it tastes like a cookie.
  • Options
    Ever since Damien started crawling, I've had nightmares about him crawling off the bed. I always catch him in the knick of time but I usually startle awake as I physically try to "catch" my husband. Poor thing gets woken up at least twice a night because of it. 
  • Options
    AmberLiz99AmberLiz99 member
    edited March 2017
    Made it through nearly 10 hours of driving yesterday. 3 1/2 more to go today. I can't wait to be home, even though it means lots of work
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Tawny87 said:
    Well my girls just gave cam a cookie and he is going to town on it. I guess he loves big people food when it tastes like a cookie.
    Can't blame him.  I feel the same way.
  • Options
    So.eone help me out here. Did I do something wrong? He seems slouched even though we followed all the directions.

• Options
    So.eone help me out here. Did I do something wrong? He seems slouched even though we followed all the directions.

Can it be reclined more?  Ours also had a few inserts that could be removed once baby was bigger (we have used a convertible car seat since day 1). 
  • Options

Can it be reclined more?  Ours also had a few inserts that could be removed once baby was bigger (we have used a convertible car seat since day 1). 
    Agree with checking the reclining. Also, are the straps adjusted right so that they are above his shoulders, or do you need to move them to the next position? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Agree with checking the reclining. Also, are the straps adjusted right so that they are above his shoulders, or do you need to move them to the next position? 

In this picture it was semi reclined.  I put it to the most reclined and adjusted the head rest so that the shoulder straps were at his shoulders rather than just below.  It's a little better but he still looks like his head hangs down.  I guess he just has to get used to it.
  • Options
    kay12321 said:
    I've finally made some Mummy friends! This is a big deal for me being so shy, yay
    That's great!!! I'm pretty shy too and started going to different library events and even a babywearing class where I got to meet some other moms. It can be scary. Good job putting yourself out there!
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    kay12321 said:
    I've finally made some Mummy friends! This is a big deal for me being so shy, yay
    That's great!!! I'm pretty shy too and started going to different library events and even a babywearing class where I got to meet some other moms. It can be scary. Good job putting yourself out there!
    Oh that sounds good! These are ladies that I've met at baby swimming, we've been going since they were about 3 months old but just started hanging out recently. It sucks being shy but everyone is in the same boat - just keep going to classes :smile:
  • Options
    Ugh getting Tristan to drink from a bottle has become a constant battle this week!  We went to the doctor yesterday because he went close to 10 hrs with no wet diapers​.  Doctor thinks it is the SIX teeth he has coming in and prescribed giving Tylenol for the next couple of days to see if it will jump start his drinking again.  Fingers crossed!!  We have no fat to spare!
  • Options
    egirl1025 said:
    Ugh getting Tristan to drink from a bottle has become a constant battle this week!  We went to the doctor yesterday because he went close to 10 hrs with no wet diapers​.  Doctor thinks it is the SIX teeth he has coming in and prescribed giving Tylenol for the next couple of days to see if it will jump start his drinking again.  Fingers crossed!!  We have no fat to spare!
    Yikes! Six teeth at once?! I thought two was bad... Maybe try freezing the nipples. I've heard that can help soothe sore gums enough to eat.
  • Options
    egirl1025 said:
    Spooning milk helps sometimes or a syringe. Takes forever to feed tho...
  • Options
    egirl1025 said:
     Ped told us last month that he was getting 4 at once... Only one showed up and the second is coming soon.  
  • Options
    @egirl1025
    will he take a sippy cup?  
  • Options
    @meggyme, @adiaz132003 & @vintagevix2016 - Thanks for all the advice!  I have frozen the nipples a couple of times, but I can't tell if he really drinks more or not.  He is definitely getting six, they have all broken through at this point, so we can see them.  I hope it means this will be over soon.  I have been contemplating using a syringe, but was hoping not to because as you pointed out, it would take forever! I have not ruled it out though.  So far today we are getting wet diapers and he has been drinking some...just have to stay diligent.

• Options
    @egirl1025
    will he take a sippy cup?  
    He isn't interested in that either, mainly because the sippy cup we use has a nipple that he has to suck on as well.  I have been working with him on straws and regular cups, but he really hasn't gotten the hang of them yet and ends up inhaling the water and coughing.  Never realized that we as parents would be spending so much time teaching our little ones how to do these things.  When my younger sister was little the idea of stopping bottles at a year was definitely not a thing...
  • Options
    egirl1025 said:

Stuck
    Does he take purees? When Adi was losing a weight we started adding coconut oil or ghee to her purees (not a lot, like a pea size amount to 3 or so oz of puree). It won't help with the diaper count but it helped her keep weight on when she wasn't drinking as much. 
  • Options
    AmberLiz99 said: 
    This happened today.  Big trouble ahead! 

Oh boy! We don't have stairs but we have a fireplace and are in the same boat.  He actually used us as a ladder to climb onto the couch a few times.  Get ready ladies!!!
  • Options
    Ethan LOVES the stairs!  We have steep ones that are carpeted and he will go all the way up on his own (we stay behind him because he likes to just turn around and try to go back down. Lol)
  • Options
    I think I mentioned before that I keep having dreams about Damien falling off the bed, which prompts me to actually try to stop him in my sleep. It seems to be slowly escalating since I started reaching out and touching my husband while asleep. Well last night I actually sat up and grabbed, hard, my husband with both hands. So hard that he couldn't move. He started calling out my name and finally I woke up and realized what I was doing. All I really remember at that point is repeatedly saying that I was sorry as I drifted back to sleep. Not gonna lie, last night's episode freaked me out. 
  • Options
    I think I mentioned before that I keep having dreams about Damien falling off the bed, which prompts me to actually try to stop him in my sleep. It seems to be slowly escalating since I started reaching out and touching my husband while asleep. Well last night I actually sat up and grabbed, hard, my husband with both hands. So hard that he couldn't move. He started calling out my name and finally I woke up and realized what I was doing. All I really remember at that point is repeatedly saying that I was sorry as I drifted back to sleep. Not gonna lie, last night's episode freaked me out. 

Holy cow.  I wonder why you keep having that dream.  I believe dreams mean something, for example when I go through times of stress I always dream that my teeth start falling out.  Have you been more worried about his safety than usual?  Maybe it's symbolic of you wanting to protect him.
  • Options

Holy cow.  I wonder why you keep having that dream.  I believe dreams mean something, for example when I go through times of stress I always dream that my teeth start falling out.  Have you been more worried about his safety than usual?  Maybe it's symbolic of you wanting to protect him.
    I definitely think it has a 2-fold meaning. His safety is a top concern of mine now that he is crawling. Strangely enough though, during the day I don't feel anxious or super stressed about it. That said, I could be repressing it. The second meaning might be something to do with him starting daycare. Feeling like he is getting away from me (growing up) faster than I can handle. I'm excited for him to be going to daycare since I think socializing with other adults and children will be wonderful for him but of course I'm sad about not being with him all day, every day too.
  • Options

I definitely think it has a 2-fold meaning. His safety is a top concern of mine now that he is crawling. Strangely enough though, during the day I don't feel anxious or super stressed about it. That said, I could be repressing it. The second meaning might be something to do with him starting daycare. Feeling like he is getting away from me (growing up) faster than I can handle. I'm excited for him to be going to daycare since I think socializing with other adults and children will be wonderful for him but of course I'm sad about not being with him all day, every day too.
    I would bet it has to do with him starting daycare. I remember feeling so much stress and anxiety in the weeks leading up to Savannah starting. I cried daily for no real reason. Now it feels totally normal and I am so comfortable with her being there, but it's a huge life adjustment. Hang in there momma!!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20