June 2016 Moms

Moms who go Bump in the night/Randoms

Re: Moms who go Bump in the night/Randoms

• Thanks ladies!  :) I appreciate the support, as always. He ran a fever for most of the evening and night and it reached 102.5 this morning so we'll be taking him back to the doctor today. Is this normal for starting daycare? He was only back for one day and he's sick again? His fever has been gone since last Thursday and he's been doing so well with recovery. 
    Yup, my LO caught a cold the first day of daycare at 2 1/2 months. Since then he gets sick on and off here and there. Pink eye, fever, what-not.
    For Spring Break we were in California for one week and then when he returned to daycare, boom. Another cold. What can we do, though? We both work. He'll be fine though.
  • Thanks ladies!  :) I appreciate the support, as always. He ran a fever for most of the evening and night and it reached 102.5 this morning so we'll be taking him back to the doctor today. Is this normal for starting daycare? He was only back for one day and he's sick again? His fever has been gone since last Thursday and he's been doing so well with recovery. 
    Yup, my LO caught a cold the first day of daycare at 2 1/2 months. Since then he gets sick on and off here and there. Pink eye, fever, what-not.
    For Spring Break we were in California for one week and then when he returned to daycare, boom. Another cold. What can we do, though? We both work. He'll be fine though.
    Thanks, yea I've been reading up a lot this morning and it sounds like there are many babies that are just frequently sick for the first year. In the end it's good for them, builds the immune system. We'll figure it out once we get the hang of having a sick baby. It will also be a little easier to handle now that I'm over whatever bug I had too (one of many to come, I'm sure).
  • Loading the player...
  • I hired a sitter through care.com for Friday night because dh and I have an event to attend. She's supposed to watch them starting at 6:30, which means she puts all three kids to bed. I've never done a sitter like this where I didn't know them before, and I'm starting to freak out. What if the kids have a terrible time going to bed? What if the baby cries or my toddler has a melt down? What if the sitter is no good despite her reviews? 
    Am I being crazy? I have no problem leaving my kids, but I've never done it with someone I don't really know. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I hired a sitter through care.com for Friday night because dh and I have an event to attend. She's supposed to watch them starting at 6:30, which means she puts all three kids to bed. I've never done a sitter like this where I didn't know them before, and I'm starting to freak out. What if the kids have a terrible time going to bed? What if the baby cries or my toddler has a melt down? What if the sitter is no good despite her reviews? 
    Am I being crazy? I have no problem leaving my kids, but I've never done it with someone I don't really know. 
    We have, but technically we had been interviewing her to be our nanny prior to that. If it makes you feel better, hire her for an hour to come by the house, meet the kids and answer any questions you have.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • meggyme said:
    I hired a sitter through care.com for Friday night because dh and I have an event to attend. She's supposed to watch them starting at 6:30, which means she puts all three kids to bed. I've never done a sitter like this where I didn't know them before, and I'm starting to freak out. What if the kids have a terrible time going to bed? What if the baby cries or my toddler has a melt down? What if the sitter is no good despite her reviews? 
    We have, but technically we had been interviewing her to be our nanny prior to that. If it makes you feel better, hire her for an hour to come by the house, meet the kids and answer any questions you have.
    We just hired one through care.com and prior to having her actually babysit, she came over to meet us and Damien. It made me feel a lot better.
  • We went out last night and left the kids with a new sitter. Camr home to find out my toddler had a terrible time and was crying for a half hour. Now I'm filled with mom guilt. She gets extra hugs today 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We went out last night and left the kids with a new sitter. Camr home to find out my toddler had a terrible time and was crying for a half hour. Now I'm filled with mom guilt. She gets extra hugs today 
    That sucks, but nothing to feel guilty about. Now you know not to hire them again.
    When we were kids we had a miserable time when my parents went out, no matter who the babysitter was. Looking back now I realize how infrequently my parents went out. I feel badly and wish they had done it more. Nothing to feel guilty about!
  • Holy temper tantrums.  Not quite 10m yet.  If I'm holding him when he lets loose I usually try to redirect but usually it's a set him down and ignore him until he quits.  When I do that they are much shorter than if I keep trying to talk to him.  He has, apparently, got my side of the family's attitude (crazy Cajun).  Nobody warned me that terrible twos started so early.  
    Finding food he will eat and ANY fruit not in a pouch is a daily challenge.  He still takes 5 bottles a day!  I try to offer food/water first but sometimes it just ain't happening.  He's not old enough yet to invoke the good ole eat it or go hungry yet.  I can't just feed him meatballs, broccoli and sweet potatoes all the time.  
    Maybe this have gone in the venting thread...Just one if those days.
  • Holy temper tantrums.  Not quite 10m yet.  If I'm holding him when he lets loose I usually try to redirect but usually it's a set him down and ignore him until he quits.  When I do that they are much shorter than if I keep trying to talk to him.  He has, apparently, got my side of the family's attitude (crazy Cajun).  Nobody warned me that terrible twos started so early.  
    Finding food he will eat and ANY fruit not in a pouch is a daily challenge.  He still takes 5 bottles a day!  I try to offer food/water first but sometimes it just ain't happening.  He's not old enough yet to invoke the good ole eat it or go hungry yet.  I can't just feed him meatballs, broccoli and sweet potatoes all the time.  
    Maybe this have gone in the venting thread...Just one if those days.
    Damien is going through a no-solids/purees phase at the moment as well. I just keep reminding myself (and my husband who is definitely more stressed about it than me) that it may be super frustrating but it's okay too. For now I'm just happy if he has milk (also been a problem thanks to 2.5 wks of fever). As the ole saying goes, "Food before 1 is just for fun," but I am totally there with you on the frustration level.
  • Not food related, but Jackie has started crying if you take something away from her. She didn't used to care, but now she will start fussing.
  • meggyme said:
    Not food related, but Jackie has started crying if you take something away from her. She didn't used to care, but now she will start fussing.
    Charlotte will have a complete melt down if her brothers take a toy from her, we're still working on keeping legos put away when Charlotte is in the same room. 
  • meggyme said:
    Not food related, but Jackie has started crying if you take something away from her. She didn't used to care, but now she will start fussing.
    Charlotte will have a complete melt down if her brothers take a toy from her, we're still working on keeping legos put away when Charlotte is in the same room. 
    The girls always take toys away from him and exchange it with something inferior. I always tell them, "one day he will be bigger than you..."
  • Toddler was up every couple hours last night. I feel awful today. These sleep issues need to resolve soon! 

I wish the things that worked with my son would work with her. I feel like I'm figuring it all out again, even though I have theee kids. Too bad all kids kids aren't the same right  :p

BabyFruit Ticker
  • meggyme said:
    Madelyn throws mini tantrums when we take something away.  She'll roll onto her stomach and cry and kick a leg on the floor.  It's funny and sad all at once.
  • I would save this for FFFC, but I'll probably forget by then, sooooo:

I just used our county tax website to look up the names of the people living next door to us. We've lived next door to them for over a year and a half. I feel ashamed, but also relieved that I finally 100% know the couple's name. Too bad that won't tell me the name of their 13 month old daughter too...
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018

I just used our county tax website to look up the names of the people living next door to us. We've lived next door to them for over a year and a half. I feel ashamed, but also relieved that I finally 100% know the couple's name. Too bad that won't tell me the name of their 13 month old daughter too...
    I have totally done this!

BabyFruit Ticker

We've lived in our small condo complex (20 condos, 4 in our section) for 4 years and I don't know anyone's names. I knew the names of 2 couples in our section but then they both moved and I don't know the new people. 

I do this too. But my friend just told me that she gets alerts when people Google her, and that scared me! Has anyone heard of this? I need to put down the Google search box and walk away haha.
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    I would save this for FFFC, but I'll probably forget by then, sooooo:

I do this too. But my friend just told me that she gets alerts when people Google her, and that scared me! Has anyone heard of this? I need to put down the Google search box and walk away haha.
    Alerts? Oh crap, that's a serious hit on my creeperness. I'll just have to completely switch over to Facebook stalking people. I'm sure that's probably not any better
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • It blows my mind how far I have to scroll down to get to our BMB. When did our babies get so big?? :(
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • It blows my mind how far I have to scroll down to get to our BMB. When did our babies get so big?? :(
    I recently found a video of Damien when he was just a month old and I can't believe it's even the same baby!
  • Going to a wedding today and there is snow on the ground. Thanks weather!
  • Tawny87 said:
    Going to a wedding today and there is snow on the ground. Thanks weather!
    Seriously? Ugh! So sick of snow!
  • Tawny87 said:
    Good ole late season snowstorm. Several 80 degree days this month then snowstorm. The bride is from Malaysia/ Australia so maybe this will be fun for her??? 
  • Tawny87 said:
    Tawny87 said:
    Good ole late season snowstorm. Several 80 degree days this month then snowstorm. The bride is from Malaysia/ Australia so maybe this will be fun for her??? 
    We always have a late snowstorm it's why we scheduled my 4 yr olds party at a indoor place this year. I plan an outdoor party every year and then it almost always gets brought inside. Next weekend actually looks nice too but he's so excited to have it at monkey bizness. I hope the wedding went well and the snow didn't impact it too much.
  • Tawny87 said:
    Tawny87 said:
    We always have a late snowstorm it's why we scheduled my 4 yr olds party at a indoor place this year. I plan an outdoor party every year and then it almost always gets brought inside. Next weekend actually looks nice too but he's so excited to have it at monkey bizness. I hope the wedding went well and the snow didn't impact it too much.
    Everyone had a great time. Thanks!
  • Does anyone here run an Amazon store? My husband and I have been thinking of doing one. My friend has had real success with hers (beau and belle littles) and has been written about in Forbes and appeared on the Rachel Ray show. I'm trying to figure out an appropriate way to bring in extra money, besides my twice a week job.
  • Tawny87 said:
    Does anyone here run an Amazon store? My husband and I have been thinking of doing one. My friend has had real success with hers (beau and belle littles) and has been written about in Forbes and appeared on the Rachel Ray show. I'm trying to figure out an appropriate way to bring in extra money, besides my twice a week job.
    I used to have an Etsy shop that I sold jewelry and knit items I made in. I also had a crafting and cooking blog. The hard part is doing the marketing needed to get people interested. I'd suggest making one thing that you can sell for a profit instead of many unique things. It seems like those are the folks that thrive with online handmade shops.
  • Tawny87 said:
    Does anyone here run an Amazon store? My husband and I have been thinking of doing one. My friend has had real success with hers (beau and belle littles) and has been written about in Forbes and appeared on the Rachel Ray show. I'm trying to figure out an appropriate way to bring in extra money, besides my twice a week job.
    I have no experience but I'm curious, what do you make/sell?
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    annaf2011 said:
    Tawny87 said:
    I have no experience but I'm curious, what do you make/sell?
    I actually don't make anything, I would be looking into branding something private label and selling it.
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    meggyme said:
    Tawny87 said:
    I used to have an Etsy shop that I sold jewelry and knit items I made in. I also had a crafting and cooking blog. The hard part is doing the marketing needed to get people interested. I'd suggest making one thing that you can sell for a profit instead of many unique things. It seems like those are the folks that thrive with online handmade shops.
    I am in the initial stages of choosing a single product to look at having manufactured. Thankfully my husband is in marketing and web devolpmemt so that will be covered.
  • My mom runs a store.  She sells children toys, purses, shoes and bras.  Odd combo.  It's extremely hard work for her and she's been doing it for 17 years.  Amazon is actually starting to change some rules and she has gotten multiple letters trying to sue her because a company doesn't want her selling their brand.  So annoying, they can't win but it can impact her business.  I thought about doing it too but after watching her get pissed at the system over the last couple years I said it's too much of a headache.
  • For anyone who followed April the giraffe and her baby, they just revealed his name live on GMA.  His name is Tajiri or Taj for short. So cute
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    My mom runs a store.  She sells children toys, purses, shoes and bras.  Odd combo.  It's extremely hard work for her and she's been doing it for 17 years.  Amazon is actually starting to change some rules and she has gotten multiple letters trying to sue her because a company doesn't want her selling their brand.  So annoying, they can't win but it can impact her business.  I thought about doing it too but after watching her get pissed at the system over the last couple years I said it's too much of a headache.
    Good info! Thank you!!!
  • Do any of your babies walk on their toes? Ethan couch surfs and uses his push walker really well, but he's almost always "tip toeing". Should I have him in hard sole shoes so he keeps his feet flat?  
  • Do any of your babies walk on their toes? Ethan couch surfs and uses his push walker really well, but he's almost always "tip toeing". Should I have him in hard sole shoes so he keeps his feet flat?  
    Damien isn't walking yet and most attempts to try end up with him just wanting to jump/bounce all over the place.
    That said, when he is standing with support, he sometimes does appear to be on the balls of his feet rather than flat-footed. It's not a regular thing but I have noticed it enough to make a mental note. You could try hard sole shoes, might help. I wonder in Ethan's case if it might be because in the walker he is having to move not just himself forward, but the walker too. When I played rugby, we'd do the whole "drag something heavy behind you" drill and I often ended up being on the balls of my feet as I leaned forward to pull. I could totally be pulling that outta my butt, just a random theory I conjured up. 
  • Gosh. I went to the daycare to drop off my son's shoes and the babies were all at the banana table, playing happily. A 6 month old starts crying hysterically and my son drops his toys and starts howling too. Then the other little boy starts to cry (he has a high-pitched whine).  Hoo boy. Was quite a scene as the teachers tried to make their bottles and put them down to nap.The high-pitched whiner kept banging his head on the crib, demanding to be rocked to sleep. Thank goodness my son doesn't completely rely on us to fall asleep. 
    Was Ethan a preemie by any chance? My goddaughter was a toe- walker and the Dr said it was related to tight calf muscles, which was related to her being a preemie (she was born at 33 weeks). I think she had to do stretching exercises.

This may not be at all relevant for Ethan, I really don't know what I'm talking about and may be passing on useless chit-chat, so I apologize ; )