August 2016 Moms
Options

Summer reads nbr

So I'm going on vacation to see family for 2 weeks. I might actually have some time to read. I need some suggestions. My current read is called winter and it's a young adult series based on fairy tales that is amazing. I'm open to pretty much any genre but don't like books with lots of sex or violence. I'm looking for light happy Beach reads! fire away, TIA!

Re: Summer reads nbr

• Options
    I just read The Nest, which was amazing! It's about a group of siblings - no violence, but it does have drama, but that keeps it interesting!

• Options
    There's a pretty obscure but really interesting book I read called The Girl With Glass Feet by Ali Shaw. Very good. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just read "The Lake House" by Kate Morton. It's a mystery novel, kinda big, but an easy read. (Not related to the movie BTW.)
  • Options
    My book club just read The Glass Castle - it's a memoir but omg sooooo good!! 
  • Options
    I finally just read the harry potter series a couple months ago. I was just going to read the first book to make sure it was appropriate for my 10 year old, but couldn't put them down, and read all 7! Lol not exactly light reading, but they were good. I've also liked all the jodi piccoult books I've read. And you can't go wrong with a non fiction book written by a comedian you like.  
  • Options
    @Mrsrundell The Glass Castle is one of my all-time favorite books! Some heavier content but yes, SO good. 
    @Bookhousegirl The Nest is at the top of my list - glad to hear you liked it!

@cm716 Have you heard of The Modern Mrs. Darcy blog? She is a pretty well-known book blogger and she just came out with her annual summer reading guide. She splits it into different categories and one of them is "compelling novels you should definitely read by the pool." In fact, if you're liking your YA fantasy series with fairy tales, you might like the one she just recommended on her podcast called Garden Spells (Sarah Addison Allen). I haven't read it but it sounds like it might be up your alley. Check her out! 
    https://modernmrsdarcy.com/2016-summer-reading-guide-landing/

I'm a big reader but I don't typically choose a lot of "light happy" books. I like stories with a bit more grit and hard topics. I was looking through my favorites on Goodreads for something to recommend, and most of them would not meet your criteria!

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Lisa See) is a favorite. There is some discussion of the old practice of Chinese foot binding that gets a little graphic, but overall it's such a beautiful story of friendship between two little girls. 
    My Antonia (Willa Cather) is just excellent if you aren't afraid to read an older classic -- it really reads pretty easily.
    Wonder (RJ Palacio) is a newer young adult book about a boy with a physical facial deformity who has to go to public school for the first time as a fifth-grader and what that experience is like for him. It was quite good and an easy read since it's aimed at kids.
    I'd also agree with what @Stephanie7693 said about books by comedians -- Tina Fey's Bossypants will have you laughing out loud and is a super quick read.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Mrsrundell love that book!

@tisunge602 Wonder is an amazing book! A beautiful story. 

Another one I read recently was "The Appetites of Girls". It was a really engaging read about a group of friends, told from each of their perspectives. 

I also read a lot, but many are kind of heavy. The book I read before The Nest was Station 11 - a distopian novel, but really good. My town does a town reading book, and this is the book for 2016. 

• Options
    @Mrsrundell love that book!

@tisunge602 Wonder is an amazing book! A beautiful story. 

Another one I read recently was "The Appetites of Girls". It was a really engaging read about a group of friends, told from each of their perspectives. 

I also read a lot, but many are kind of heavy. The book I read before The Nest was Station 11 - a distopian novel, but really good. My town does a town reading book, and this is the book for 2016. 
    I literally just had Station Eleven on my Kindle from the library last month but it expired before I could grab it! I was too deeply into book 4 of Outlander to be interrupted. :) I plan to grab it again soon.

Sounds like we have similar taste - I need to check out The Appetites of Girls!

• Options
    *lurking from Jan 16*

I just read a great book called Qualify if you are into young adult dystopian. Also the series Uglies is really good!
  • Options
    BritMC18 said:
    I just read "The Lake House" by Kate Morton. It's a mystery novel, kinda big, but an easy read. (Not related to the movie BTW.)
    I second this, loved this book. I am a big Kate Morton fan though.
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• Options
    cm716cm716 member
    These suggestions are awesome ladies! I'm a REALLY fast reader. So i need all the recommendations I can get.

@tisunge602 I will have to check out that blog. It sounds amazing. 

@Cricket99 I LOVED the Uglies series.

• Options
    The Matched series is a pretty good. It is kind of up there with the Uglies dystopian future. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @cm716 The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is great and would definitely keep you occupied throughout vacation!  Also, "No Angel" by Penny Vincenzi is good and the start of a trilogy as well. Have you read Crazy Rich Asians?  Super easy read and interesting. Oh, and The Royal We would be a great summer vacation book also!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    mmclark10 said:
    @cm716 The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is great and would definitely keep you occupied throughout vacation!  Also, "No Angel" by Penny Vincenzi is good and the start of a trilogy as well. Have you read Crazy Rich Asians?  Super easy read and interesting. Oh, and The Royal We would be a great summer vacation book also!
    I would have recommended Outlander but OP did mention she didn't like a lot of sex (in her reading - ha!). And there is a LOT of sex in Outlander... although most of it is consensual married sex. It does get a bit graphic though.

• Options
    cm716cm716 member
    One of my girlfriends raved about the Outlander series. I tried it and could not get into it. I was bummed because I have heard such good things about it.
  • Options
    I just read Brooklyn and very much enjoyed it. The pace is a bit slower than most of my summer hammock reading, but it's a lovely, bittersweet romance story. 
  • Options
    I read a ton, but most of the books I read have quite a lot of sex. Lol. I'm currently reading Harry Potter right now, so that's my 'no sex' recommendation. 
  • Options
    The girl who played with fire series is really good too. Not light reading, but so good. Not a lot of sex and violence, but theres a little. 
  • Options
    @tisunge602 I must not have read closely enough. :) You are right, there is a lot of sex, I just love the story and historical pieces so much I completely forget about it!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    The girl who played with fire series is really good too. Not light reading, but so good. Not a lot of sex and violence, but theres a little. 
    But the little bit of sex and violence there is (especially in the first book) is VERY dark/intense.

• Options
    @tisunge602.. It's been a while since I've read them. I remember parts of it being pretty intense, but I guess I don't remember how bad that part of it was.
  • Options
    @tisunge602.. It's been a while since I've read them. I remember parts of it being pretty intense, but I guess I don't remember how bad that part of it was.
    It's pretty bad. Intense sexual violence. The books are really good, though. Did anyone read the one they published after the author's death? I was wondering if it is any good

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    @cait5413... I just remember the books being amazing. I guess I didn't dwell on the crazy parts. I haven't read the most recent one either, I didn't want to pay for a hardcover when it came out. But if I find it at half price books I'll get it and let you know!
  • Options
    I loved the girl who played with fire series! Really engaging reads, I think I blew through all of them in just a few weeks.