February 2017 Moms
Options

VBAC- who else is interested

Who else is contemplating one?  What was the reason for your section?  Do you feel your provider is supportive?

I had my first via CS due to failure to progress after being induced at 35 weeks for oligo(low fluid).  Both #2&3 were VBACs with 2 different OB groups because we moved.  This one is planned as a VBAC as long as everything goes well.  

Wondering if if you are a good candidate?  Here is a calculator to help predict your success. https://mfmu.bsc.gwu.edu/PublicBSC/MFMU/VGBirthCalc/vagbirth.html

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: VBAC- who else is interested

• Options
    ::raises hand::

With DS, I just had failure to dilate so this is going to be something I discuss with my doctor at my first appointment.  I know they are VBAC-friendly so the support is there, I just have to have the talk.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Options
    1st was an emergency c section with bad complications
    2nd was a natural med free vbac but baby had severe shoulder distocia. I'm hoping my midwives are on board for me attempting a second vbac, if we keep an eye on the size of the baby and this one isn't a giant.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I sometimes feel guilty for not trying a VBAC with DS2 but I just couldn't get over that fear of uterine rupture. I know it's rare but my brain wouldn't let it go. Now that I'm two c/s in I haven't even considered a VBAC.

Mama to Mason (7) and Asher the Crasher (3).
    Married to Topher (10 years). 32 years young in Oklahoma.

• Options
    I hope to! My first CS was due to failure of descent. I got to 10 and pushed for 2.5 hours, but DD didn't budge. I really think if I had been able to move around it would have helped. My cs was traumatic for me so I'm really hoping for a vbac. Going to try to skip the epidural. I'm switching docs and hospital to make this happen. I have my first appt in two weeks, so hoping this doc is as supportive as others say he is. 
  • Options
    I am on the fence. DS was a c/s due to breech. I haven't decided either way. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    I had a CS with dd1 after failure to progress at 41 weeks. 

I am am waiting to talk to my on but thinking of trying for a vbac if I go into labor on my own by 41 weeks. If not, I will probably do a rcs at 41+1. 
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm considering it.  The last time I aimed for an unmedicated birth and ended up with a horribly gone wrong induction and c section 3 days later.  I'm now either going to look into a home birth/birthing center or just schedule a c section.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I hope to! My first CS was due to failure of descent. I got to 10 and pushed for 2.5 hours, but DD didn't budge. I really think if I had been able to move around it would have helped. My cs was traumatic for me so I'm really hoping for a vbac. Going to try to skip the epidural. I'm switching docs and hospital to make this happen. I have my first appt in two weeks, so hoping this doc is as supportive as others say he is. 
    You may have to negotiate placement of epidural with no meds.  They like having epidural access in place if you need to urgently go to OR, but that doesn't mean you have to use it for meds unless there is an emergency.   Otherwise in emergency you would have to be put under general anesthesia 

• Options
    My first labor with DD1 was a c-section for "failure to progress." With DD2 I had a very successful VBAC and would highly recommend it for anyone that is a good candidate!
  • Options
    You may have to negotiate placement of epidural with no meds.  They like having epidural access in place if you need to urgently go to OR, but that doesn't mean you have to use it for meds unless there is an emergency.   Otherwise in emergency you would have to be put under general anesthesia 
    I never thought ofthat. I didn't have this issue. They never tried to suggest an epi line. 
  • Options
    I am going for a VBAC.  My first child was breech so I had to do a planned c-section.  My provider is very VBAC supportive.  Here's hoping it goes as planned!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    This page is featuring vbac photos all week long if you want to be inspired www.facebook.com/birthphotogs
    Expecting #5
    Rainbow baby after 3 losses
    Due February, 2017

• Options
    egfegf member
    For sure.  This will be my 2nd Vbac.  First baby was a c-section due to the usual induction cascade of interventions.  Baby 2 I got my Vbac despite the hospital banning Vbacs starting right after my due date and my doctor being out of town.  So I'm for sure doing it with the third.  Just walking from the delivery room to my main hospital room just a couple hours after having the baby was reason enough to do it again.  Recovery was soooooo much nicer.
  • Options
    I figure my chances are low due to being a VBA3C but I found a provider willing to discuss it.
    My first was a vaginal, 2nd baby grew too big due to GD and couldn't come down during pushing, 3rd was too close to 2nd and even bigger, and 4th was 'no other option' due to 2 previous CS and a clinic who doesn't believe in vbac after 2+ cs. (that baby was small enough to come down even).
  • Options
    My first was a C section, 2nd was a VBAC and planning a VBAC for this one as well! 

4 losses- MC in 2006, MMC in February 2012 at 12 weeks and MMC (twins) August 2016 at 12 weeks. Pregnant again- 11/7/16. Another loss on December 28, 2016.

BFP April 23, 2017.  Our triple rainbow baby! EDD: January 2, 2018. It's a boy!
  • Options
    I am considering it. My first was an emergency C. Labor was induced, wasn't progressing and her heart rate dropped after the epidural.  I hadn't thought about the epidural placement without meds. I might consider that so if I end up with another CS, I wouldn't have to be put under. 
  • Options
    My first was emergency c section because he was stuck, his noggin was too big. His sister was born still at 32 weeks and my doctor suggested a vbac since she was measuring so small. I have not decided this time. It will depend on how big baby is measuring. I wouldn't be opposed to another vbac if baby is small, but if baby is measuring like their older brother than I am going to reduce our risk of anything happening and do a scheduled c section. 

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
  • Options
    For those who have had successful vbacs, when did you have to decide? I am hoping I can keep my options open through my entire pregnancy and decide in the end. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    For those who have had successful vbacs, when did you have to decide? I am hoping I can keep my options open through my entire pregnancy and decide in the end. 
    I had to find a care provider who was pro VBAC, so right from the beginning, BUT their stance was I could change my mind whenever I wanted. I had to consult an ob and have a section booked (they wont induce so if you go past a certain date, you need to have a csection booked). 
  • Options
    ShawllsShawlls member
    edited June 2016
    My OB is pro VBAC and was on-call when I went into labour last time and had to do the c-section (so he knows the situation best). I was failure to progress at 8cm because baby turned sideways between 7-8cm and OB couldn't flip her back. Id like to try for a VBAC. That said I will not be disappointed either way. I am quite petite and had an 8lbs'er last time, so anything can happen.
  • Options
    This is baby #5 and I had my first c-section with #4 in September due to complete placenta previa. As long as this pregnancy is uneventful, my midwife is confident I can have a VBAC! 
  • Options
    I had to find a care provider who was pro VBAC, so right from the beginning, BUT their stance was I could change my mind whenever I wanted. I had to consult an ob and have a section booked (they wont induce so if you go past a certain date, you need to have a csection booked). 
    This exactly. At first I decided RCS, then decided on a VBAC at the end of my first tri. My OB told me I could schedule an RCS on my due date if I wanted. So nothing was set in stone.  She was going to let me go to 41 weeks and even induce if necessary. However, my DD2 was born one day before her due date via VBAC.

4 losses- MC in 2006, MMC in February 2012 at 12 weeks and MMC (twins) August 2016 at 12 weeks. Pregnant again- 11/7/16. Another loss on December 28, 2016.

BFP April 23, 2017.  Our triple rainbow baby! EDD: January 2, 2018. It's a boy!
  • Options
    Runner313 said:
    This exactly. At first I decided RCS, then decided on a VBAC at the end of my first tri. My OB told me I could schedule an RCS on my due date if I wanted. So nothing was set in stone.  She was going to let me go to 41 weeks and even induce if necessary. However, my DD2 was born one day before her due date via VBAC.
    @runner313 that is perfect and what I am hoping for. If I go into labor on my own, I want to try a VBAC. I am debating if I want to give it til 40 or 41 weeks (leaning towards 41). But if I don't go into labor on my own I want to just do a scheduled c section and skip being induced. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am up in the air about the whole thing... DS was a CS due to heart rate dropping. The cord was wrapped around his neck 2 times. I had a very easy CS recovery and no complications from it. I want to try for a VBAC just because they say recovery is easier and not being able to pick up my toddler will be hard.
    My doctor is pro VBAC but I think I will just schedule a RCS for my due date and if I go into labor early will try for a VBAC.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    MalyJMalyJ member
    logison said:
    I am up in the air about the whole thing... DS was a CS due to heart rate dropping. The cord was wrapped around his neck 2 times. I had a very easy CS recovery and no complications from it. I want to try for a VBAC just because they say recovery is easier and not being able to pick up my toddler will be hard.
    My doctor is pro VBAC but I think I will just schedule a RCS for my due date and if I go into labor early will try for a VBAC.
    Me exactly. I'll schedule my RCS, but if I go into labor on my own before that, I'll try the VBAC.

• Options
    I so want to do VBAC! I'm still contemplating but I'm leaning towards it! 

1st was Vaginal
    2nd was CS due to breech 

my doctor doesn't support it but she's willing to transfer me if I decide to go with it 
  • Options
    I was all about a second CS for this pregnancy because my first labor experience that ended in a cs was absolutely terrible but my doc mentioned the option of a vbac and how I could change my mind at any time. So now I'm thinking I can do a vbac. I just want a better birthing experience this time around. 

I'm with my original obgyn and think she's more on the same page with me. My first pregnancy was with a midwife. 
  • Options
    uwaluwal member
    I am definitely contemplating one. I am determined to give birth naturally. The hospital I went to was a disaster I was 35 hours in labor and only 3cm progress and my baby's heartbeat was going down; had to have an emergency c section. I am going to try for a water birth. Best of luck!