TTC After a Loss

Running & TTCAL

KyCade3013KyCade3013 member
edited June 2016 in TTC After a Loss
Hi Ladies, was wondering if anyone else had experience with running high weekly mileage and if it had any correlations to your period being messed up after a loss? I know when you are trying to conceive, doctors will sometimes suggest running 3 miles or less per run, and keeping your mileage down. (If you are having trouble) My doctor never said a thing to me about this, however I noticed when I stopped running almost cold turkey (once a week like 3 miles) it was my first cycle in literally 4 months without mid-cycle spotting. I'm having a hard time believing it's not correlated. I was running 10-15 miles per week, but usually a 10 mile run on Saturday coupled with a shorter run. My doctor is younger, smart, skilled in what she does, but she's my age and I wonder if she may not have the experience with patients who run often to know the effects after TTCAL? 

Edited for spelling

Re: Running & TTCAL

• Hey! I love to run! (Well, depending on the day, love may not be the operative word...ha!)

Sorry, this may be lengthy, but the long and short of it is I have never experienced a difference in cycle with any amount of running.

I went off BCP about fourish years ago because prior to that, my cycles were so frequent, starting at age 16. I trialed off for a couple months at age 21 and the same thing happened (TWO AF's per month...no thanks.) In 2012, I was blessed with picture perfect 28 day cycles and day 14 O pain. But, we were still TTA with other methods, so I wasn't temping or anything then. At that time, I was going to the gym but not running more than 2 miles once or twice a week, doing spotty workouts at best.

Since 2013, I've done many 5k and 10k races, added road biking to my regimen, and did one triathlon. I've attempted training for half marathons, but have been thwarted twice by illness/injury. The most I've ever run in one sitting was 8 miles. All that time, my cycles were 27-29 days, I had consistent O pains with EWCM, and never spotting. Then again, I never was a spotter to begin with, so that may not be helpful to you.

From the time I conceived my first until after my second loss, I didn't run but maybe one or two times. I got a sinus infection right before we conceived, I had my loss, and conceived again quickly and got some colds/other things that prevented me from doing much running. I finally got serious again in April after my second loss and have been doing 10ish miles/week, sometimes more, sometimes less. AF took a long time to return this time (8 weeks) but I'm not sure it's related to running or just my ute saying "WTF?" I'm at the end of my first "real" cycle and so far it's been pretty "normal" for me.

I will say that running is so much harder after loss. My times are way slow compared to pre-loss, and I cannot run more than 2 miles consecutively without small walk breaks. I may just be out of shape, but it's been two months and I just feel like I'm not as fit. I AM older now then when I first got into this, but only by a couple years. I'm hoping to do a half marathon this summer or fall if I don't get KU. I was hoping for July, but I'm not sure my mileage will be up to par in time.

Are you training for something? If not, it may be reasonable to break your mileage up to smaller, more frequent runs and see if that helps. Though, I'm in the camp of "if I'm training for something, I'm going to do it, damnit!" because I can't put everything on hold for TTC, and I want to be as fit as possible for when I do get pregnant again. I'm up to 7 miles for my long run currently, so maybe I will see an effect on my cycle as I amp up the miles.
  • I bailed on the Brooklyn half in May because I had worked so late I didn't see my kids all week, but had trained up to 11 miles for it. I did a 10 miler in May, NYC half in March. I've done a dozen or so halfs and 2 full marathons in the past 4 years. At this point it's too hot here to do another half until September. I'm registered for the NYC marathon in November and will need to start training in July unless I get KU. I don't know what's up
    with my body. I thought it was related to the running, but maybe it was just time to heal took my body forever. I have no idea what to do, I guess I'll just run but keep low mileage. Thanks for the feedback @Wishilivedinflorida