January 2016 Moms

Mom Guilt

ShortStuff5ShortStuff5 member
edited June 2016 in January 2016 Moms
I've recently started working on weaning. I've had three cases of mastitis and let me tell you it makes me super sick I get the chills so bad I'll be wearing long sleeves and pants and be under 5 blankets and still be freezing along with pain and it makes it hard to take care of my daughter because I don't feel well. Along with that I've had non stop milk blisters so I've decided I can not keep putting myself through this I need to be well to care for my daughter and myself. Ive only been able to keep maybe one or two containers of milk on the fridge because obviously I'm pumping less. My daughter is 5 months and i do have a great supply frozen so we will make it to 6 months or little longer I just know she's going to be getting more formula as well and I'm feeling guilty for not continuing I thought I was completely justified in my head for wanting to stop. She's also been screaming crying like she's starving non stop because what I'm expressing is watery looking not much fat to it. I'm hating this I feel like I'm hurting her. Please reassure me that I'm not a terrible mother.

Re: Mom Guilt

• You are a great mother
  • KFrobKFrob member
    You're doing what's best for your LO! Your daughter needs you to be healthy both mentally and physically. 
  • Loading the player...
  • You are doing great mama! You are so strong for keeping it up through that many rounds of mastitis and milk blisters! I have had one severe milk blister and I bawled like a little baby because it caused the worst plugged duct ever (girl, I straight up ugly cried). You get mom of the year for keeping it up through all that! It's time to do what's best for you and be healthy physically and mentally for your LO! You should never feel guilty about it.
  • ashleyandjodyashleyandjody member
    edited June 2016
    Don't ever feel guilty about taking care of yourself, so you can in turn care better for your LO. You have been a trooper pumping for this long all while dealing with mastitis and milk blisters. You are a super mom in my book, and remember there's nothing better than a fed, happy, healthy baby (even if that means using formula)

ETA the rest of my post (why are all my posts being cut off?!?)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think you are a super star for making it this long.   I am working on weaning my five month old. Honestly there is nothing wrong with me physically but I need my bodily autonomy back.  I over think about everything I put in to my body because of how it might effect her. Totally exhausting. I just need to have that space between us. 
  • nackienackie member
    5 months is great, good for you!  If what you're producing now doesn't have enough fat, could you mix it with some of the frozen milk to bring the fat content up?
  • Many would have given up along time ago with what you have gone through. You are a strong woman. LO needs a healthy momma! You're doing the right thing and a great job! 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    I had mastitis once and it is physically impossible to care for your child when you have it. I couldn't even get out of bed I was so sick. My husband had to bring him to our room to eat but other than that I wasn't capable of doing anything. You are a great mom. You are choosing to be able to take care of your daughter and provide her with what she needs, something you can't do if you're sick! 
  • Don't feel guilty! Regardless of what anybody says, FED is best. 
    I stopped after a horrible six weeks where both LO and I were miserable, and when I was pumping, I was getting nothing. I had to go back to work at 6 weeks, and since I would pump for an hour and get less than .5 ounce, it seemed like time to stop. I couldn't be pumping that much at work.
    You made it six months! Good for you. Tell any naysayers to suck it!

• You're doing what's right! Don't worry!
  • You're a great mother just in the fact that you care this much! Baby is well taken care of regardless how he or she is fed. Ive been exclusiy formula feeding since week 2 because I had no supply and she wouldn't latch. We were both stressed and miserable and sooo much happier once I decided she would be formula fed. You're doing great. 
  • klbhklbh member
    Six months is great! Remember, there's nothing magical about the one-year mark. Eventually all our babies will stop breastfeeding and start getting their nutrition elsewhere. Whether it's formula, solids, or cow's milk doesn't feel like a huge deal to me--it just depends on what age they are when it's best for both of you to stop. 
  • I mostly breastfeed but I feel a much closer bond with the baby when I am giving her a bottle or feeding her her oatmeal.  Don't be too hard on yourself.  I've never had mastitis but it sounds terrible and if that happened the first time that would have been the end of breastfeeding for me. 
  • I nursed and pumped for my littles for 4 months. I needed ME back and it was taking up so much time. You are absolutely amazing for going this long with such a tough breastfeeding journey! You are a great mama!

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!