TTC after 35

FSH day 10 results 13.9 (HELP)

thistle8677thistle8677 member
edited June 2016 in TTC after 35
Hi Ladies,
I'm desperate for input from anyone that has done the clomid challenge and had results deemed "borderline".

Day 3:
FSH 8.5
Estrogen 15.2 
AMH 2.32
these are all excellent results..(not gonna lie, I was feeling confident when I got these.)

day 10 FSH (after clomid challenge)
13.9.....(my clinic says under 13 is a good number)

The nurse that called with the results basically told me I have a high level of abnormal eggs, and that my Dr. wants to regroup after my man's lab results are in.

I have a SIS this morning...I woke up at 5am in a panic and started googling and I'm not feeling satisfied with any of the answers I'm getting.
Really was hoping to hear from anyone that did a work up with their RE.

From what I've read, they like to see FSH on day 10 lower than FSH on day 3?
Is this correct?
I do know this means I'm not out by any means, but it does significantly reduce the chances of a healthy egg(s) being retrieved.
Feeling really discouraged.
The idea of having to do more than one retrieval is (at this point) one of the things I'm dreading the most. 

Thank you all that have read...
The past month I've been averaging about 6 dr related appts weekly (not all for me)...
I haven't had much time to come support and/or get supported.

Xoxo
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: FSH day 10 results 13.9 (HELP)

• Well I'm sorry you're experiencing this and it's crazy to me that these RE's release all of the info prior to meeting with you to talk about it because it just makes things more crazy for you mentally.  My RE posts all of my tests online as soon as they get the results and it's annoying because you want to try and research the results and I got all worried about some but when we met to talk she said all of my results were FINE.  

With that being said, I didn't do the Clomid challenge.  I did just the regular testing.  They didn't do an FSH at day 10, only on CD 3.  But these are the "normal" ranges they provided along with my results for FSH:  Females - Follicular Phase: 2.5 - 10.2 Females-Pre-Ovulatory Phase: 3.4 - 33.4 Females - Luteal Phase: 1.5 - 9.1 Females - Menopausal: 23 - 116.3 Males: 1.4 - 18.1

Sorry I can't be of more help.  Hopefully you will get more clear answers to this soon!  I'm sorry you've been so busy with medical stuff...what a burden!!!!
    Me: 41
    Husband: 40
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
    Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally
  • Thank you so much for responding, @jennh75b ..
    Luckily, the first nurses did go over my results briefly...and explained the guidelines, which is how I knew my first set of results were so awesome.
    Naturally, I was elated. 

However, the second nurse that called with my FSH day 10 results didn't offer me the reassurance I was looking for.
    I do know guidelines can vary depending on the clinic...I just wish I knew wth "borderline" really meant for me. In most life situations "borderline" can carry an element of hope...but with these numbers I'm just not knowing how to feel, other than "well, shit."
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't worry too much, I hear similar things from people all the time "but the nurse said this was bad!", when in reality, it isn't. Nurses are great, but they aren't doctors and even doctors don't always agree. My first OB our SA results showed somewhat low motility, but when I met with a new OB he just laughed and said they were totally fine. 

As far as FSH levels go, "egg quality" basically means likelihood that the egg will implant. There's no known reason for the correlation between elevated FSH and lack of implantation yet, but it's been shown to have a strong correlation. Since you have had implantation several times it seems like FSH isn't really your issue, however I did find the article below which says that (statistically) FSH levels above 10 (whether on day 3 and 10 or just on day 10) mean reduced live birth rate. But it does go on to say that aggressive treatment in this scenario leads to normal live birth rates - even in women who have levels up to 20. Remember this is a study, it's not you personally, and these are just correlations. 

https://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(03)00499-0/abstract#/article/S0015-0282(03)00499-0/fulltext?mobileUi=1
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you @PoeMasque
    your reply is encouraging and comforting xoxo
    i do need fo remain positive and waif until we meet with the RE again.

I think I'm fearful of "aggressive teatment",..sigh. 
    It's okay...I'm having a reality check and if feel like a medium punch to the gut (maybe my ego and self confidence as well.) boo. :'(

That's interesting about high FSH and poor implantation...it could explain our recent year stint of not conceiving at all. 
    Hmm. Okay interesting. 
    thank you 

• I will say that my RE mentioned that if we were to do IVF, the AMH level is key.  So if you are doing more "aggressive" treatment and your AMH was good, then that is at least a positive.  I am fearful of those types of steps, too, but we still don't know what's in store for us.  I can't rule anything out at this point, although haven't really discussed it much with H.  He still is focused on trying naturally.

If it were me I would prefer to just have a nurse call and say we'd like you to come in to discuss your latest results, rather than try and say something about it over the phone...especially with such a vague statement.  Hopefully your next appointment will be a positive one!!!!
    Me: 41
    Husband: 40
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
    Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally
  • Thank you again @jennh75b
    That's encouraging about the AMH level..mine is a great number. 

I had my SIS today and all looks good.
    My fiancé did his genetics test and karyotype. 
    I go back in a month. 
    My dr didn't want to talk about results yet until we regroup and have all the pieces on the table.

It does sound like what @PoeMasque suggested, that we will need an aggressive approach. In fact, that is the exact wording my dr and nurse coordinator used.

I'm relieved to have a month off.
    Today has been so emotional.

• Hang in there! Even though it's not what you had planned progress is being made :) 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker