July 2016 Moms

Perineal Massage - Yes or No?

Tatiana616Tatiana616 member
edited June 2016 in July 2016 Moms
Reading a super informative 'brochure' and am curious, who's doing it and who's running the other way? ;)
Also- if you want to chime in and are planning to do it in advance, when do you plan to start...stretching out?

Perineal Massage - Yes or No? 83 votes

No, and don't anyone else even think about it!
34% 29 votes
Yes during labor, but Imma let the professionals do it and pretend it never happened.
30% 25 votes
Yes in advance, but me and only me will be participating in my tomb raider adventure.
12% 10 votes
Yes in advance, but I'm a T-Rex so MH/SO/Partner is going to have to step into the ring.
22% 19 votes

Re: Perineal Massage - Yes or No?

• I'll be a speshul snowflake. I'm not doing it but only because I did not do it the first time and I don't see a reason to do it now.  I am, however, doing other things that I did not try the first time like red raspberry leaf tea and eating dates. It's just sort of one of those 'meh' things for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • erin7264erin7264 member
    edited June 2016
    Already started,  35w this week. Been trying to get it done at least a couple times a week or every other day since 33/34w, DH doesn't mind helping because it generally leads to sex later.
  • I voted yes because I did it during my first pregnancy. I agree with @dolewhipper, anything that is supposed to help, I did it! However, this pregnancy I am having a 2nd c-section so not doing it. 
  • I didn't even realize they do it during labor? 
  • Also who is this OP who just joined a few days ago? No intro OP? no hello my name is...? Just a poll? Hard to get to know a community if you don't get involved ;) read the main threads and intro in the randoms thread 
  • rnyland1 said:
    @BecauseBabyIamPug always the voice of reason!
    I try. That way people can say I am being a hormonal brat. Evidence states other wise.
    ;)
  • KASGKASG member
    I couldn't even check cervical position while TTC. If they think I need it, they better do it themselves and I'm going to pretend I don't know lol
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• I didn't do it beforehand but doc did during labor and I didn't tear...here's hoping she can get me out unscathed two times!
  • I asked my midwife about this last week and she said that there is no point. She said that it they will do it during labor and as long as I can listen to them when they tell me when to push, how hard, and how long, then it should help. So she said if anything do keggles and squats!! That's my plan. The massage sounds terrible anyway 
  • Also who is this OP who just joined a few days ago? No intro OP? no hello my name is...? Just a poll? Hard to get to know a community if you don't get involved ;) read the main threads and intro in the randoms thread 
    I did an intro... on an intro thread. You said "Welcome". Didn't feel the need to start my own thread for the same purpose, that seems bad here, no? ;) Also posted on some other threads since.

On other comments: I watched the plastic vag demo video too and died laughing! Although I'm 50/50 to try this, how can anyone reach their own like the demo was suggesting? I'm a total T-rex now! And 100% on all RRL, Dates, prostaglandins, and anything else that *might* help as soon as I hit term. (Although, I'll probably separate the sexy time and the massage time, as much as I love olive oil, not sure that would work for me...)
    Gotcha I see now your profile picture had been showing a weird generic one but it's back to the animal now sorry about that :)
  • erin7264 said:
    Already started,  35w this week. Been trying to get it done at least a couple times a week or every other day since 33/34w, DH doesn't mind helping because it generally leads to sex later.
    Is this what qualifies as "foreplay" these days? Does not compute. Doesn't seem sexy to me at all.

Stuck in the box!  No,  the perineal massage is not sexy and it doesn't feel good. By later I meant like a good hour...  I generally end up laying on the bed naked for a while afterwards, which can lead to real foreplay and sex if I'm not too acid reflux-y and he gives me adequate time to recoup first. He usually offers to rub my feet and back in between,  and we use coconut oil which is a great lube. 
  • Stupid don't do it. Won't help. In between pushing the dr will do it with the help of some mineral oil if they feel necessary. And almost everyone tears esp ftm! So just get used to the idea that your probably gonna have some stitches and a swollen vag! 
  • carolynpetitecarolynpetite member
    edited June 2016
    I'm kinda relieved to hear people say it doesn't work so I don't even have to consider doing this!
  • I've heard that it helps, but I have also heard that it can make you note likely to tear. I am hoping they just do it at the hospital, as that is the best I've heard. 
  • I've heard that warm compresses during labor is actually the most helpful... Personally I don't think perineal massage beforehand helps--- unless it's to help you physiologically prepare for those sensations. Vaginal muscles are built/made to stretch and then return to normal. 
  • Random question (TMI maybe) for STMs: if you tore was it on the backside? I keep hearing about the "vaganus" but I tore in the front part. 
    H. Foxe born October 22, 2013
  • Holy wow. It's so rare that fisting becomes part of everyday casual conversation.
    Such a shame too. There are so many benefits to proper fisting.