January 2017 Moms
Options

Ask a STM+ Week of 5/31

2»

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 5/31

• Options
    this tip is related to the family visit one...

im the first in my family to breastfeed.  My family DID NOT understand breastfeeding and were constantly making side remarks about how the baby is hungry and needed formula.  They did not understand why the baby needed to nurse for so long (aka they couldn't hold him), why he woke up at all hours wanting to be fed and I was always locked away in the bedroom while people were over to visit.  I was so tired and weak and second guessing myself that occasionally I did supplement.  It wasn't until visitors were gone that I was able to nurse 100% without supplementing (it took me 6 weeks).

supplementing tells your body that it doesn't need to make as much milk, so your milk supply diminishes.  Babies suckle.  They need to suckle in order to build supply.  Formula takes longer to digest so they don't cry to be fed as much - and your body will make less milk because the demand lowers.  Babies get confused when given bottles where milk drops out and then given a real nipple where they have to suckle for their nourishment.  Babies also suckle for comfort.  Babies get confused when pacifiers are put in the mouths when they are looking for nourishment and comfort.  I had to use a nipple shield to wean my son from a bottle.  For the longest time, my son wouldn't nurse if I didn't have a nipple shield so that was a pain to wean from as well.

i recommend everyone arm themselves with these kinds of facts so they can be used when needed against family.  Family always thinks they know best - even if it really isn't the best.

when my son was a few months old, my brother asked when I was going to switch to formula.  When I said, "never.  Formula is for moms who are not physically able to breastfeed or just don't want to breastfeed," he was surprised.  Breastfeeding education is lacking everywhere.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    So much truth in that I didn't need help figuring out a newborn, but help with everyday chores. Our family is all local, so thankfully no one had to stay with us, but I made it very clear that living nearby didn't mean they could drop in whenever they wanted. They all knew to call first, and if I wasn't feeling visitors that day, then they didn't come over. My grandma stayed with us for the first few months, and she was amazing helping me get through that time. She made us dinner, helped with getting things done around the house, and was just there to help. I felt like I could ask her questions without being judged or like she was trying to push her opinions on me. 

Definitely make sure you and your SO are on the same page about visitors. Take the help if it's offered, and don't be afraid to tell people no! Trust those mommy instincts!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lindsladle15 Ugh, I forgot about the awful uterine cramping while nursing!  I'm dreading that too.  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    MC #1 January 2013
    DS born 4/06/14
    MC #2 August 2015
    CP November 2015
    MC#3 January 2016
    BFP 5/11/16  EDD 1/19/17
  • Options
    Oh gosh @Wholesome yes!!!!!! So much criticism for breastfeeding. Be prepared, ladies. I was continually told to supplement. It was brutal.