May 2016 Moms

Witching hour...or hours

Anyone else experiencing a witching hour of fussiness?? DS  is giving me random fussiness in the late afternoon,  early evening. He also goes on a weird nap strike starting around 2 or so and will only catnip here and there. Please tell me I'm not alone!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Witching hour...or hours

• We get the fussiness starting about 7pm-ish, taking sometimes almost 2 hours to get him down. Then it starts up again around 7am-ish and lasts throughout the morning. It seems the only time he goes into a really deep sleep is mid to late afternoon. He just turned 2 weeks today so I know it's kind of difficult to get them on a schedule so young, but my DH is going back to work in 2 weeks so hopefully we can have some sort of a schedule established by then lol
  • DD had classic witching hours from around 2-4 months. We basically just let her cry and fuss through it, nothing we could do to help. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We've been experiencing this as well in the evening. Right when my poor husband comes home from work. She fusses off and on though so not completely inconsolable. She seems to cluster feed during this time before bed. Which isn't a bad thing because we get a good 4 or 4.5 hours between feedings. The other night was 6 hours! She'll be 4 weeks on Monday. 
  • angc4angc4 member
    Always fussier in the evening when DH gets home! It's so weird!! 
    28, DH - 30 
    Married 10/04/14 
    TTC since 1/1/15
    BFP 5/28/15
    MC 6/9/15
    BFP#2 9/21/15 - EDD 5/20/16
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • wsgjmw1wsgjmw1 member
    Yes very fussy evenings ... To the point where he is inconsolable. its pretty exhausting because nothing we can do will calm him down until HE is ready to relax and go to sleep! 
  • DS eats every half hour to hour somewhere between 5-10 pm (sometimes starting around 7).

When I breastfed, it could be hellish, and would be followed up by 1-2 rounds of cluster feeding & fussiness in the middle of the night. However, it's definitely improved dramatically since I made the switch to pumping instead.
  • Holly always gets fussy between 6-8 pm and sometimes earlier than that too between 2-4 pm. If she hits both witching hours it is pretty miserable for everyone. When she's fussing she'll signal that she wants to nurse but then gets all mad at the boob once she is on it. I've learned to reduce stimuli around her and ride it out. The hardest thing is that she only wants me when she's like this and so when H tries to help soothe her she usually gets even more upset. 
  • Ugh... My LO gets super fussy from 11p to 2am... DH is taking care of him now so I can get some sleep, but he goes back to work soon. Hopefully he is done with it by then!
  • BellodomaniBellodomani member
    edited May 2016
    Holly always gets fussy between 6-8 pm and sometimes earlier than that too between 2-4 pm. If she hits both witching hours it is pretty miserable for everyone. When she's fussing she'll signal that she wants to nurse but then gets all mad at the boob once she is on it. I've learned to reduce stimuli around her and ride it out. The hardest thing is that she only wants me when she's like this and so when H tries to help soothe her she usually gets even more upset. 
    When Viv is fussy she also makes nonstop feeding cues but gets pissed when my milk lets down. What I've figured out is that she has a hard time settling in to sleep without sucking on something, so often she is just signaling that she wants to sleep. So far I've just been giving her a pacifier and trying to rock her to sleep, but I think we are getting to the stage of alertness where I'll have to start swaddling/ white noise/ dark room for naps that aren't taking place in the wrap/ car. 
  • My witching hour began this AM... It's always on the evening but baby girl decided to switch it up today. Finally got her in the Mamaroo versus DH or I bouncing her on the medicine ball. Every day is a new day lol!

Spoke too soon.. The little gremlin is waking up. Guess we are going for 30 min naps today :neutral: 
  • wsgjmw1wsgjmw1 member
    Holly always gets fussy between 6-8 pm and sometimes earlier than that too between 2-4 pm. If she hits both witching hours it is pretty miserable for everyone. When she's fussing she'll signal that she wants to nurse but then gets all mad at the boob once she is on it. I've learned to reduce stimuli around her and ride it out. The hardest thing is that she only wants me when she's like this and so when H tries to help soothe her she usually gets even more upset. 
    You bring up such a good point here . It is so frustrating when LO signals they are hungry and then gets pissed on the boob/bottle. DS screams and turns his head back and forth with his mouth wide open rejecting it. This always happens during the witching hour . I have also learned we just have to ride it out which is utterly exhausting 
  • My witching hour began this AM... It's always on the evening but baby girl decided to switch it up today. Finally got her in the Mamaroo versus DH or I bouncing her on the medicine ball. Every day is a new day lol!

Spoke too soon.. The little gremlin is waking up. Guess we are going for 30 min naps today :neutral: 
    Hehehe we have called both of our baby girls "gremlin divas". 
    Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • mcb2016mcb2016 member
    We've had some of this fussiness going on here. Acts starving rooting around only to scream when offered breast or bottle. :( it's been rough. He's been sleeping a good three hours now but not sure if he'll wake up mr fussy pants or not. It's hard to tell what's wrong. Sometimes I think gas but other times just no clue. Maybe it is just a witching hour 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• wsgjmw1 said:
    You bring up such a good point here . It is so frustrating when LO signals they are hungry and then gets pissed on the boob/bottle. DS screams and turns his head back and forth with his mouth wide open rejecting it. This always happens during the witching hour . I have also learned we just have to ride it out which is utterly exhausting 
    This is what I'm experiencing! Around 11pm baby wants to suck but gets mad at fast letdown. I try to burp him and rock him back to sleep but he just wants to be held during this time. I don't know if I should use a paci so he can suck or if he will grow out of this stage. 
  • It's 530am and I'm already getting the "pulling off and getting pissed" while feeding... Going to be another long day!
  • @Kennedy0830 do you have a wrap carrier? I have a Solly and it has become my go to on fussy days (we are having another one over here too). It lets her feel the closeness she needs but I can have my hands free. It isn't perfect, my neck and back are already sore from sleeping on the couch and the carrier isn't necessarily helping it, but it really does calm her down. 
  • @Kennedy0830 do you have a wrap carrier? I have a Solly and it has become my go to on fussy days (we are having another one over here too). It lets her feel the closeness she needs but I can have my hands free. It isn't perfect, my neck and back are already sore from sleeping on the couch and the carrier isn't necessarily helping it, but it really does calm her down. 
    I have a boba that I used one day and she zonked out. I'm going to have to start using that during the day. I just fear the nights. It's literally been a battle to get her to sleep in the RNP lately. So I have been terrible and cosleeping with her on my chest while I'm propped up in bed or the recliner. We've been attempting the Mamaroo and crib during the day but it's hit or miss. I feel she feeds for a long time but never gets to the point of super tiredness so the transition from our arms to a sleeping area has got to be flawless. I would just love to attempt to sleep when she sleeps! Every day is a new adventure on how she will react.
  • kami09kami09 member
    So this may not have anything to do with anything, but figured I'd throw it out just in case...

With DS, he would have a witching "hour" from like 7-10, then up from 3-5 am. & generally, he was a cranky baby throughout. This lasted for some time before I started trying everything to figure out what was the matter. I EBF, so I gave him Vitamin D drops...D Vi Sol. I switched out the D Vi Sol one day for D Drops which are natural, no additives- just one tiny drop. Wouldn't you know, that's what it was. I guess he just had a very sensitive stomach and couldn't handle the extra "stuff" in the D Vi Sol. So here's hoping this helps someone out!
  • It's that tiiiiiiime. (Help meeeee)
  • edited May 2016
    Ours is at 4:30 ish to about 7:00 or if during night anywhere/any combo from midnight- 6 am. 
    But baby wearing has helped a lot during the daytime - an ergo with the infant insert. 
    Also if I will let baby co-sleep at night that helps some nights a lot too. RNP, halo bassinet, mommaroo, and swing are all a fail. Swaddling & white noise sometimes helps. In particular the sound of a faucet running, so random. 

Singing sometimes helps. Sometimes a stroll outside for a change of scenery or a house tour complete with my narration of what things are around here. Can be a hit or a miss though. 
    Pacifiers (tried many different kinds) also a fail. Baby was downright offended by the offerings. 
  • edited May 2016

kami09 said:
     D Drops which are natural, no additives- just one tiny drop. 
    Love that brand. We use it here too during winter, for myself, toddler, and also will for this baby eventually. 
  • It's that tiiiiiiime. (Help meeeee)
    Same here! Praying it's not as bad as last night's witching hours
  • We can do it ladies. This too shall pass... This too shall pass... This better flipping pass!!!
  • Jparke2Jparke2 member
    Isla has been screaming for the past 2 and a half hours. Feeding her now and hoping to transition her right into bed... terrified she'll start screaming again when I take my boob out of her mouth! I'd let her go for an hour if it helped but because of her reflux I'm supposed to do shorter feeds. Ugh! 
  • @Jparke2, come on twinsie, we can do this! @LadySamLady, harness the power of the caffeine! You can do this!

LO is currently sitting quietly and taking in the scenery...it's like the calm before the 12 AM storm.
  • Jparke2Jparke2 member
    The transfer to bed was unsuccessful and she has been screaming ever since. DH took her so I can "sleep" but our house is small and her screaming is echoing down the hallway. I wonder if our neighbors can hear her.
  • @Jparke2, neighbors will get over it, sleep while you can! DH will sometimes take our LO to the furthest room in the house and close the door to stifle the noise. You may also want to put a white noise app on your phone. It's stressful to hear your LO cry and always made me worry about DH's sanity, so it seems best to pretend it's not happening.  Get some rest.
  • Jparke2Jparke2 member
    lbachran said:
    @Jparke2, neighbors will get over it, sleep while you can! DH will sometimes take our LO to the furthest room in the house and close the door to stifle the noise. You may also want to put a white noise app on your phone. It's stressful to hear your LO cry and always made me worry about DH's sanity, so it seems best to pretend it's not happening.  Get some rest.
    I tried! I put on white noise and everything ! I ended up taking her back and feeding  her again, because it was almost time anyway. Now she is sleeping in my arms and I'm trying to work up the nerve to attempt to put her down. Shes gotta be ready for bed after 5 hours of screaming, right?!
  • @Jparke2, after 5 hours she's definitely tired. If LO falls asleep on me after feeding, I usually wait 20 to 30 minutes before moving him. Usually he's so sleepy I can even risk swaddling him. But if I move him too soon, the process starts again. Not sure if you're giving a paci, but popping that in before moving him seems to fool him into believing he's still on the breast if he's sleepy enough. You can do this!
  • mcb2016mcb2016 member
    swaddle and rock and play seemed to have worked this witching time. Things were all find after feeding until I dare wanted to stop doing skin to skin cuddling because I had to run to the rest room.  Hoping we are almost done with the screaming portion for the night. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• My in laws made us take our 3 week old to their house 2 freakin days in a row! And stayed for hourssss (2 till midnight on Sunday and all afternoon Monday)! I'm pissed because it threw off DS's schedule and we're paying for it. DS is so over stimulated that he will NOT settle down. I just experienced my first real witching hours... Times like these are when I want one and done! Omg.

Also, we have a mountain of chores to do!
  • How about a witching day? My ear drums are busted from her crying. Checked diaper. Offered breast. Rocked. Swaddled. Shhhh'ed. Rock-n-play. This is miserable. I wish I were a guy so I could go to work and leave someone at home to tend to the children. 
  • MsIanMsIan member
    So sorry @missnc77! Have you tried taking a walk or a drive??
  • We did a drive earlier to Target. I'm wondering if she's going through a growth spurt. She was so good at a morning and afternoon nap, but then my mom went home this weekend, and it's just me. So of course, she has to  fuss all day. 
  • yesterday was the longest yet from 5pm to 11:30ish .. but today - nothing yet & its 8:00pm ? I'm so confused as to why some days he's fine and other days it is straight awful !! 
  • yogahhyogahh member
    MsIan said:
    So sorry @missnc77! Have you tried taking a walk or a drive??
    Does LO like baths? Harper was fussing tonight without any consoling but calmed down in the bath. Isn't it the worst when they are crabby and you can't figure out wtf they want?!

cat fail animated GIF

• Ughhh I'm with you guys. one thing that worked really well for me yesterday was putting him in the k'tan wrap and walking around with him. He went to sleep after five minutes when nothing else had worked for hours.