April 2016 Moms

Any babies that hate sleeping on their back?

My little guy hates sleeping on his back! I have tried the rock n play elevated/not elevated, swing, swaddled/not swaddled nothing seems to work (he wont sleep unless in his side or stomach!!) any suggestions? During the day it is fine cause I can keep an eye on him but at night I am too nervous to let him. I usually prop his back up against a pillow and roll a recieving blanket up against his stomach and let him get into a deep sleep. That way he will get into a dep sleep before i have to put him in his back before bed, but he will only sleep for like an hr then he is awake. We do this all night long. 
Has anyone ever used those sleep position pads and allowed their baby to side sleep? I am just so nervous to have anything in his crib. 

Re: Any babies that hate sleeping on their back?

• Oh wow that would be frustrating! I'm interested in answers to this too!
  • As soon as I lay Thomas down, he rolls right to his side. Every. Time. Our best success is with the rock n play with receiving blankets rolled and stuffed down by his side (lower than his arm pits). Our ped said that if they are rolling into that position themselves, then there's nothing you can do to stop it and to let them be. It's not the ideal way for them to sleep, but it's acceptable. I still prefer the rock n play method because letting him sleep on his side is terrifying. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My pediatrician said they'll eventually lose the side sleep roll instinct that newborns have, but that it's fine to let him do it. The risk of SIDS is with smothering himself and not being alert enough to cry and let you know something is wrong, if he is on his side he's ok. Most babies can't get to their stomach from the side position, only from back to side, at the newborn stage. 
  • Yeah LO sleeps on her side a lot. Also, she doesn't seem to like being on her stomach right now :/ whenever I try to lay her on my chest like to burp her, she always moves her head side to side or tries to turn her body..never seems to be comfy.

• STM lurking from July. 

My daughter spent her first two weeks home screaming because she hated sleeping on her back. After lots of tears and frustration of my own and speaking with our pediatrician, I let her sleep on her belly to try it. She slept beautifully and we never looked back. She went to bed with just a onesie and sleeper on, no swaddle no blankets. Our pediatrician is old school, in just the right ways, and put my mama heart to ease saying how belly sleeping used to be what was recommended and every "x" years they change their mind on the best way for baby to sleep. She is now a very healthy and happy 10 year old and we never had any issues. 

I know it's scary, because of what they tell us about baby HAS to be on their back but not every child is as cut and dry and you have to find what works for you and baby. Good luck mama! 
  • Thanks for the responses- I actually broke down and allowed him to sleep on his side with the proper precautions so he was safe. All went well and he slept very soundly. We will see though I am so nervous that he will turn to his belly, he does have pretty good head contol though and can turn side to side when on his belly. 
  • Our baby hates being on her back too. Unless I'm getting her dressed. Then she gets chatty and coos at the ceiling fan, haha!

I'm actually more nervous to let LO sleep flat on her back because I'm afraid she'll choke if/when she spits up. 

We have her on an incline if she's on her back, or I lay her on her side (usually the left side to help with reflux) and I put a rolled blanket behind her back to keep her from moving. She'll sleep for hours this way. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I forgot to add that her favorite position to fall asleep is on her belly on my chest. 

This seems to be the most natural for newborns, so it makes sense that they'd hate to be on their back. 

It's very rare for her to fall asleep on her back in my arms. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I forgot to add that her favorite position to fall asleep is on her belly on my chest. 

This seems to be the most natural for newborns, so it makes sense that they'd hate to be on their back. 

I feel like we have the exact opposite problem! In the past two weeks or so, LO hates to lay on my chest on her belly. She used to love it, but now all she does is fuss and turn her head side to side as if she can't get comfy :/ it's a shame cause I feel closer to her that way.
  • mumidimumidi member
    I forgot to add that her favorite position to fall asleep is on her belly on my chest. 

I feel like we have the exact opposite problem! In the past two weeks or so, LO hates to lay on my chest on her belly. She used to love it, but now all she does is fuss and turn her head side to side as if she can't get comfy :/ it's a shame cause I feel closer to her that way.
    DS is the same.  Almost always hates to be belly to chest.  He prefers the cradle hold.  Sad.  My daughter always loved being belly to chest.  
  • MrsZkoMrsZko member
    mumidi said:
    I forgot to add that her favorite position to fall asleep is on her belly on my chest. 

DS is the same.  Almost always hates to be belly to chest.  He prefers the cradle hold.  Sad.  My daughter always loved being belly to chest.  
    Same here! DS1 loved it but it's rare for this little man to enjoy cuddles on his belly after eating.  However, he loves to be worn in the sling or wrap. As opposed to my other son...he wants to be on his back. Very surprising!
  • His favorite way to sleep