February 2016 Moms

Sleep regression sadness

Anyone else in the throes of the dreaded 4 month sleep regression? We're two days in and I'm whooped. My once champion sleeper is now up every hour and a half for half the night. Anyone relate? 

Re: Sleep regression sadness

• mrsc12414mrsc12414 member
    edited May 2016
    Same problem here too !! It's so frustrating ! She's been this way for a week now I pray she can go back to being a good sleeper ! She used to go back down so easily and now she's up for a while :( good luck to you hope it gets better it's 230 am here and she's been up twice already 

edit to add my baby just turned 15 weeks Friday this started last week at 14!
  • Yes! Me, too. I assume that's what this is? She's only 14 weeks but I've read it can happen early and will have a nervous breakdown if it gets worse. She was sleeping 8+ hours and  I'm so sad I didn't appreciate it more.  :'(
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes. Here too. I think she also has a bit of a cold so that's not helping either. I think I got more sleep when she was a newborn.. I'm soooo exhausted ha.
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"
  • Ugh. My little dude is just shy of 3 months, but you guys are scaring me. Things are hard enough as is! Please keep us updated on how it goes for you.
  • Do you regress after never really progressing? The most we've ever gotten was 6 hour stretches but lately she's been only doing 3 hours for her long stretch. Uggggh. Only 12 weeks old.
  • middy411 said:
    Do you regress after never really progressing? The most we've ever gotten was 6 hour stretches but lately she's been only doing 3 hours for her long stretch. Uggggh. Only 12 weeks old.
    My thoughts exactly. Do we have the same baby?
  • My 12 week old had just finally (for a week or so) started to sleep for a nice 5-6 hour stretch at night. (She had been consistently getting up every 2/3 hours for a feed ) And just as I'm starting to enjoy my extra sleep, she decides she doesnt want to nap! She went almost 12 hours today without a "real" nap. She fell asleep nursing for a few minutes here or there but as soon as I move her, she wakes up. 12 hours...12 HOURS!!! Help! Anyone else experience this? 
  • Karen249 said:
    My 12 week old had just finally (for a week or so) started to sleep for a nice 5-6 hour stretch at night. (She had been consistently getting up every 2/3 hours for a feed ) And just as I'm starting to enjoy my extra sleep, she decides she doesnt want to nap! She went almost 12 hours today without a "real" nap. She fell asleep nursing for a few minutes here or there but as soon as I move her, she wakes up. 12 hours...12 HOURS!!! Help! Anyone else experience this? 
    We have a similar situation, but not as extreme as 12 hours without a nap. My little guy is almost 11 weeks old. He sleeps the 5 to 6 hour stretch as well, but the rest is a crapshoot. For the past 2 to 3 weeks it has been really, really hard to get him to nap. The ONLY way is nursing to sleep, and that doesn't always work. Sometimes it takes me an hour or more to get him down. The longest he's gone without a real nap is probably 6 to 8 hours. We have good days where he gets most of his naps...and bad days when he misses several. We haven't had a day where he hit all the naps for about a month!

Pleeeease let all this struggling mean we won't have sleep regression on our hands in a month. Without that 5 to 6 hour stretch, I'd be in really bad shape.
  • I'm right there with you!  DD is 14 weeks and had been consistently sleeping for 7-8hrs at night and napping somewhat consistently until last week when she decided she wanted to be up every 2-3hrs at night and only nap well at daycare and for me.  She's in daycare 3 days a week.  DH has her one day when I'm at work and then a half day when we're working opposite shifts and he cannot get her to nap!  So I come home to a fussy, overtired, screamy baby and a husband who seems to think that's just how she is.  So frustrating!  I'm not sure if the days of bad/no napping with her papa is throwing her all out of whack the rest of the week?  Anybody else have this problem?
  • I'm right there with you!  DD is 14 weeks and had been consistently sleeping for 7-8hrs at night and napping somewhat consistently until last week when she decided she wanted to be up every 2-3hrs at night and only nap well at daycare and for me.  She's in daycare 3 days a week.  DH has her one day when I'm at work and then a half day when we're working opposite shifts and he cannot get her to nap!  So I come home to a fussy, overtired, screamy baby and a husband who seems to think that's just how she is.  So frustrating!  I'm not sure if the days of bad/no napping with her papa is throwing her all out of whack the rest of the week?  Anybody else have this problem?
    I can relate to LO only wanting to nap or fall asleep with me - she will hardly ever fall asleep with anyone else. If I leave her with my mom for a few hours to run errands she sometimes falls asleep for her. It's so weird, like she knows if I'm not home and will settle for someone else but if I'm around she wants me and will not settle with anyone else. DH has literally tried for half an hour with her screaming in the afternoon and then handed her off to me and as soon as she hits my arms she's drifted off. It does kinda make me feel good that she prefers mama but sometimes it'd be nice to have a break and be able to have DH put her down.

She only started this clingyness about 3 weeks ago before that she'd sleep for anyone, luckily we haven't regressed at night yet, she does an 8hour stretch and another 4hour one most nights and I know I'm gonna lose my mind if we hit a bad sleep regression, I'm so used to getting a full night now!
  • @mrscammack We must have the same baby!! I'm reading about this sleep regression and I want to cry. DD has been sleeping 8-10 hours a night and then will nurse and sleep for another 3 or 4.  I love it! I know it's a rarity but I'm so used to it now! 

And everyday that I get home from work, and DH, has had her, he will always tell me how she didn't want to sleep. I'll lay down with her and she's out in 2 minutes. I do love that we have that mommy/ baby time. I try to be grateful because I know this time won't last forever!! :'(
  • jarob747jarob747 member
    edited May 2016
    middy411 said:
    Do you regress after never really progressing? The most we've ever gotten was 6 hour stretches but lately she's been only doing 3 hours for her long stretch. Uggggh. Only 12 weeks old.
    I'm in the same boat. My LO is 14 weeks. If I can get 3 hrs at a time I'm happy as can be. Hope it don't regress shorter than this. I wondered if it's because my boy is smaller? He's only 12 lbs but healthy as can be. I just figured his belly is still tiny. ??? Idk
  • Last night was the first night in about 1 1/2 weeks baby bear only got up once . It was glorious praying this will continue 
  • @mrsc12414 us, too!!! It was delightful. Not sure if it was because she was baptized yesterday and it was an insanely busy day with lots of people holding her, an extremely loud restaurant and very few naps. But I'll take it. 
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited May 2016
    @middy411 @charliegoldengirl that's my DD, too. She was sleeping about 6hrs, but the last 3-4 nights she has been up every 3hrs. I go back to work in 2 weeks and will have to get up for work at 4:30am. Please baby, get back to your good sleep before then! 

ETA: my DD is 3 months this week 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• LO is almost 15 weeks and sleeps from 930-630am, then again until about 930am after a feed. I'm so worried he's going to hit the regression soon. I need my sleep! I'm crossing my fingers he's a rarity and doesn't stop his champion sleeping, but I know it's most likely going to happen. I'm trying to prepare myself :( 
  • @middy411 so frustrating!!! I hope she has a repeat performance tonight and you get to sleep through it this time!  ;)
  • Meanwhile, my little guy (12 weeks now...my count above of 11 was off) has gone down to 4 hours for his long stretch instead of 5-6 for the last two days. He'll go down for another 2 hours after, but then he's wide awake. Cue nap fighting the whole day, and again - I hope this excuses us from regression later. :-p
  • @middy411 I had the same issue when Eleanor started sleeping through the night. I would wake up from rolling on my side and the pain of being too full before shed even wake me up. It does get better though. Somehow my body knows it's a long haul now and I don't get nearly as full. 
  • smn14smn14 member
    @middy411 you get used to the engorged pain! I found lying on my back alleviated the discomfort. It is frustrating being awake when baby is asleep!!!
  • I hope my LO doesn't have any bad sleep regression! He has been spoiling me since around 12 weeks with 7-10 hour stretches at night with another 3 sometimes after, but the last few days he's woken up after 3-6 hours then gone back down after nursing and a little extra coaxing. I really can't complain about him only waking up once in the night, but I'm so nervous for possible regression! When he was a newborn he didn't sleep more than an hour and a half at a time (usually just a half hour).
  • & so it begins! 15 weeks and he's starting to wake up at 4am for a feed. He does go back to sleep, but it takes a little bit. He usually went to bed about 930 like a champ, and tonight he is crying hysterically! Shushing, swaying, rocking, pacifier- nothing is helping him! He has been spitting up after every feed today too. Maybe it's not sleep regression and maybe he just doesn't feel well?! 
  • Mine went from only waking twice a night to waking between 2-6 times. It's been super stressful for us both. His newest trick is screaming bloody murder when he's tired. Night before last it was 2 hours of it; last night he started it and I decided if he's going to scream regardless of what I do, I was going to put him in bed. The crying lasted 15 minutes.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • So I'm hoping it was just a fluke night. My LO will be 4 mo on Saturday. He never had been a very good sleeper. He's up every 3 his or so to eat. Which I'm OK with. However.... last night he slept from 7-8:30 then was up till midnight wanting to play wide awake... finally got him to sleep and was up every couple not wanting to eat, but just awake. Ugh rough night. So tired today. 
  • Oh man. Mine went from 5-6 hours to 4 to 3 to 2. He is up about every 2 hours now. :(
  • I think we  hit the regression. For the past week LO wakes up screaming around 2-4 am. She's not hungry and no amount of rocking, shushing, white noise helps.  The only way she'll go back to sleep is if she goes into the rnp

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think we hit our 4 month regression - we are back to three hour wake ups after a few weeks of 5 hr stretches.  Meanwhile, my sister in law has a one week old who only wakes up one time to nurse at night. Wtf am I doing wrong? Is there any research at all the points to a reason behind terrible sleepers ? It would make me feel so much better if I could blame it on some factor outside my control ! 
  • The last 2 nights DD has rolled over in her sleep and it wakes her up.  Then she's upset she's awake and then proceeds to hungry.  We give her a bottle and she's back asleep pretty quick, only for it to happen again a few hours later.  I really don't know how to help her, I keep hoping that she'll settle down and just sleep on her belly but that hasn't happened yet.  She had been sleeping through the night, not sure if it's sleep regression or just her getting stronger with the rolling.  So tired!
  • I think we hit our 4 month regression - we are back to three hour wake ups after a few weeks of 5 hr stretches.  Meanwhile, my sister in law has a one week old who only wakes up one time to nurse at night. Wtf am I doing wrong? Is there any research at all the points to a reason behind terrible sleepers ? It would make me feel so much better if I could blame it on some factor outside my control ! 
    I'm pretty sure it is beyond your control. My LO has always only woken up once or twice during the night and falls immediately back to sleep after nursing. My next child could wake every hour and not want to go back down... You never know. Sleep training is a helpful tool, but it's just that, a tool. Like everything else, babies are unique and have different preferences and tendencies. Some days my LO sleeps 7 hours and then some days it's 4 hour stretches. I try to do everything the same every day (within reason) so I can't figure out why some days produce better sleep than others. Instead of stressing, I just roll with it and know that she won't be this little forever. Cheer up! You're doing a great job
  • If it's any consolation the longest my guy has slept is 5 hours. And that's maybe only a few times. I'd say 3 hour stints with him is pretty usual, maybe with a 4 hour stretch to start. I'm just not over thinking it. He's happy and healthy and growing like a weed. I don't think I expected to be having long fabulous sleeps with a 4 month old though. 
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• middy411 said:
    I think we hit our 4 month regression - we are back to three hour wake ups after a few weeks of 5 hr stretches.  Meanwhile, my sister in law has a one week old who only wakes up one time to nurse at night. Wtf am I doing wrong? Is there any research at all the points to a reason behind terrible sleepers ? It would make me feel so much better if I could blame it on some factor outside my control ! 
    I'm pretty sure it is beyond your control. My LO has always only woken up once or twice during the night and falls immediately back to sleep after nursing. My next child could wake every hour and not want to go back down... You never know. Sleep training is a helpful tool, but it's just that, a tool. Like everything else, babies are unique and have different preferences and tendencies. Some days my LO sleeps 7 hours and then some days it's 4 hour stretches. I try to do everything the same every day (within reason) so I can't figure out why some days produce better sleep than others. Instead of stressing, I just roll with it and know that she won't be this little forever. Cheer up! You're doing a great job
    Could not have said it better myself! 
  • jarob747jarob747 member
    edited June 2016
    Holy crap... I'm certain I have the worst sleeper ever!!!! Ever!!! He sleeps with me but the past week he has tossed and turned wide awake for a couple hours, not wanting to eat just awake... he's noisy, groans, flips over to his tummy, gets mad cause he can't flip back over... I feel bad for LO cause he won't hardly nap.. I mean he will sleep for an hour or so of I hold him, but if I put him down he wakes up in like 10 minutes. He may get 4 hours sleep max during the day and 8 as night. Do you think it's the sleep regression or should I intentionally try to start putting him down for naps and possibly he's overtired? The previous two nights he's had a total meltdown after I've put him to bed and it takes about an hour to get him calm and sleep only to have him wake up an hour or two later then basically squirmy all night long. What the heck??? 
  • rainbowminionrainbowminion member
    edited June 2016
    My little one's been a good sleeper, but I think we're hitting sleep regression too. He's taking longer to go to sleep at night and when he wakes up for his 4ish am feeding instead of going right back to sleep he wriggles and babbles and wants to play. Nuh-uh kiddo it's sleep time, not play time. So, not too bad really.

The problem is that he's been sleeping in his rnp and I waited to long to transition him to his crib. But he's really too big and too wiggly for it now so I have to transition him while we're also dealing with sleep regression. Bad move, Mommy.  :/

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • @rainbowminion literally the same exact thing going on with us. Word for word! 
  • @rainbowminion same here! Her legs only stay in the RnP when she bends them...  :o
  • Good news here. So far he's sleeping better than I am! When I put him down in his crib for the first time last night he fussed for a while. Eventually he worked himself up to being really upset so I picked him up and soothed him. When I put him down I told him that this is his new bed and it was going to be a wonderful place to sleep. He smiled at me and fell asleep within 10 minutes!

I've had a lot of trouble staying asleep but he hasn't. This kid is just amazing. Now, he had a very busy day yesterday, including going to the doctor for his shots. We will see if our good fortune holds. Here's hoping it's just as drama free for you!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Whatever that was last month is happening again. Every two freaking hours. She's napping better during the day (50 minutes to 2+ hours) and staying up happily between 2 and 3 hours (we were lucky to make it to 2 hours before). I'm not sure if this is the actual regression or what because the naps are better. I'm so tired. She's in our room still because we're living with my mom until we close on our house next Friday. I'm really, really hoping that moving her to her own room helps. I spend most of my waking hours wanting to cry.
  • My LO got back to normal after about two weeks, then she had a growth spurt and now she's teething. We're not getting much sleep around here either