May 2016 Moms

Cloth diapering- newborn edition

We've started cloth diapering. I don't know why we were so nervous about it all. It's really been no big deal. Our biggest challenge is knowing when she's wet. Things were easier when there were blue/ yellow stripes to indicate. We're using the gdiaper system. DH made the mistake of putting them on her backwards for a day. Even still they've contained two blowouts and we've even done diaper changes away from home. 
I'm a happy first time cloth diaper user. 

How is cloth diapering going for all of you? 
Me: 31 | DH: 33
DD: 05/14/16
Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19

Re: Cloth diapering- newborn edition

• vinerievinerie member
    We will be CD-ing soon. We both really wanted to, but I didn't think we could keep up with the laundry. So we found a service and will be starting in June. They are even going to come to our house and "train" us on how to use CDs. But, yes, I'm 48-hours post delivery and the disposables are pretty easy. Your post gives me hope that we can transition, though!!
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• @charla1224 I remember this when DS was super little. As they have more output you can get a better sense of when they are wet which is helpful. I haven't used gdiapers specifically but our diapers will feel firmer from the outside when wet.  Changes in the early weeks are so frequent anyway that I wouldn't worry too much about it!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • We got a bunch right before Ezra came but they don't fit quite right so we're stuck with the 6 newborn diapers and some disposables right now. I told MIL we needed more newborn cloth diapers and she just keeps buying more clothes. I love using the cloths though. I find the disposables stick to his rump a bit.
    i can't wait to go 100% to cloth. I'm hoping to get about 5-7 more newborn cloths so that I can really dive in!
  • If you gals have an Itsy Bitsy Bums near you, they have a CD newborn rental that works really really well for the first few months. Fitteds and covers, super easy to wash and use. Plus when the rental period is over, you can use your deposit as a store credit to buy larger or OS diapers. Just a suggestion if you find yourself stuck with a handful of NB diapers like @JoMunson
  • We plan on cloth diapering but dispite everyone saying LO was going to be a huge baby, he actually ended up being kinda small and none of the ones we got fit him right just yet. So we're working our way through our newborn disposables now and hopefully once those are through we can start with the cloth.
  • I'm following this because we will be CDing when LO is born, after the first gross poopies. I'm so excited to start!

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • A friend of mine gifted me all her newborn size fitteds & covers, so that is what I am hoping to use once this little guy gets here. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he's too big to fit in the newborn ones. In that case I'll need to run out and get more normal sized ones cause we only have 4 so far! We have a couple grovia and then some thirsties pocket diapers so far. We decided to wait and see which ones we liked better before we bought a whole stash.
  • We are using Charlie Banana newborn pockets and Kawaii newborns (I forget the exact name, possibly Mom Label?). Charlie Banana is a tad too big in the legs, so we've had some leaks. But the Kawaii are PERFECT at this stage, and I was thrilled to pick them up for half price on their website - like $2 each or something crazy! (I use nb inserts I already had so didn't have to pay extra for inserts). 
    Also started cloth wipes and they've been great! I got Grovia cloth wipes and they are so soft... Grandma is ordering us a Prince Lionheart cloth wipes warmer, can't wait till that gets here. Little man HATES cold wipes! :)
    So glad everyone is having a good cloth diaper experience so far! It really is super easy once you get the hang of it!
  • Question for you ladies - did anyone cloth from day 1? We have the circumcision to care for, so I wasnt planning on it but his stomach skin is already looking a little red and irritated from the edge of the sposies... I feel like a prefold and cover would be softer on his skin?  

Looking for advice - FTM here and everything is worrisome! 
  • @Karenpreggo We specifically waited until after we could stop gooping on the Vaseline bc we didn't want it to damage the diapers. If you have any hybrid diapers (ones with a disposable insert option) in your stash you could maybe try those?
  • Question for you ladies - did anyone cloth from day 1? We have the circumcision to care for, so I wasnt planning on it but his stomach skin is already looking a little red and irritated from the edge of the sposies... I feel like a prefold and cover would be softer on his skin?  

Looking for advice - FTM here and everything is worrisome! 
    We heard from our birth teacher to avoid cloth diapers until they have finished their merconium because it can mess up the clothies. Can you have a little naked time with him? Or make his diaper a little looser?
  • codeeyecodeeye member
    I'm following. I'll be induced soon (12 days late already and hoping tomorrow they can get me an appointment to get him out!) I was so concerned about having a newborn stash so we could cloth from day 1, now I'm concerned he will hardly fit them cause he is going to be so big! I guess time will tell! 
  • Thanks all! The redness looks better today. I think Im just totally paranoid because I feel like I have no idea what Im doing! I just want him to be happy and healthy  <3
  • We'll be doing cloth from day 1 this time. Meconium may stain, but it's water soluble and won't ruin your dipes. Several of my good friends do cloth from day 1 without any issue. If you're using vaseline or other non-cloth safe barrier cream, you can use a white viva paper towel as a liner to protect your cloth while baby's circumcision heals up.
  • @jenbkc What an awesome gift!!!! If you need more dipes on short notice and you're cool with used, KC has a couple of great CD BST groups on facebook where you can find great deals on used diapers.
  • @araecasey yeah it really was an awesome gift! And I'm totally cool with used.. would love to hear about these groups. 
  • So my DD is basically premie sized in everything. She is swimming in newborn clothing...though her weight was normal at 6lbs 7oz. Even my newborn stash seems huge! Anyone else have this issue? My flats seem like the best option but I'm not sure on what to use for covers as my xs thirsties are too big...
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• So my DD is basically premie sized in everything. She is swimming in newborn clothing...though her weight was normal at 6lbs 7oz. Even my newborn stash seems huge! Anyone else have this issue? My flats seem like the best option but I'm not sure on what to use for covers as my xs thirsties are too big...
    I never went through that but I know bummis makes a teeny tiny cover, I think called the super brite? Might be worth just waiting it out, unless you're like me and have the need to BUY ALL THE DIAPERS.
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • So LO is 2.5 weeks and we are starting CD today. We are using a service, and they brought us prefolds and covers and snappies. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, only because at 2.5 weeks, we've got a bit of a routine (or as much of a routine as one can have at this stage), so any change seems overwhelming.

How is the CD going for first-timers? How long did it take you to get the hang of it?

• @vinerie We didn't start til 1 month with my son, and we'll do that again with this baby- I just like feeling like I have a bit more of a handle on things before I make them more complicated. 
  • I did wait until the circ was mostly healed but I did a few more days with Vaseline and a liner. I have the bummis disposable liners from DS1 which are nice to have in case you get a diaper rash that needs more powerful creams as well.

The first couple changes I was a little sad to not have sposies but now that we are down to a routine I'm happy. We do mainly prefolds and covers right now since I only have about 5 newborn AlOs. One diaper change he kept pooping and peeing and it took six prefolds before he was finally done, and at that moment I was so glad we had finally switched over. 
  • We went to the AIO and AI2 snappies at about 2.5 weeks. We still have a box of size ones for just in case situations and I do the laundry about every day but I love clothies. The disposables stick to his body and he got a rash while the cloth diapers he seems to really love. The only issue is that we don't have enough so I wash our stash every day.
  • We started at 1 week with DS. It's a bit of a blur but honestly i don't remember it being a huge learning curve.  For me that came a few months in with our first wash routine issue. 
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • We started at 1.5 weeks - combination of NB AIOs and covers/prefolds.  I hate the prefolds and can't wait until he fits into my OS stash.  We're still doing sposies at night, so not a complete transition yet but so far its been easy.  I've been pleased that cloth isn't really much harder than sposies.
  • @karenpreggo this might be a stupid question, but why are theAIOs so much better? We are using a service, and the only option is covers and pre folds. It's my first day doing it and I'm hoping it gets faster..

• vinerie said:
    @karenpreggo this might be a stupid question, but why are theAIOs so much better? We are using a service, and the only option is covers and pre folds. It's my first day doing it and I'm hoping it gets faster..
    I like our AIO better than our AI2s because I have to pull out the pads from the AI2's which is a pretty gross chore, then I have to re stuff them once they're cleaned. 
  • PYLWhammyPYLWhammy member
    edited June 2016
    LO is 8 days old and we started CDing a couple days ago (once we used up the free sposies from the hospital). We're using prefolds and covers and it's going well so far! The newborn size diapers and covers fit, but they will definitely last a while.

We are also using cloth wipes - just some cheap baby washcloths sprayed with water and a little baby soap.
  • I like the AIOs strictly for convenience, honestly.
  • Following! Starting cloth diapers properly tomorrow. DS is a month old and big enough for the AIOs we bought (bumGenius Freestyles to last him til he's potty trained!). We didn't get gifted as many of those as we'd have liked, but we have hand me down pre folds and pocket diapers that we can use as well.

Are any of you ladies formula feeding or supplementing with formula? Are there any extra steps you are taking to deal with the stickier/stinkier poo?

• We started to CD the day we left the hospital (I had a c-section so it was easier to do sposies for the hospital stay) we used lil joeys AIO and some prefolds and covers. So far we are wondering why everyone made such a fuss about using cloth. It's easy and cheap! We have found that the fluff butt makes out son roll on to his side while he is sleeping (which makes me nervous) so we started using sposies at night which seems to have eliminated the problem. My SO is surprisingly happy about CDing and loves telling people who doubted us how well it's going. Haha! 
  • My girl was born at 8 lbs 11 oz today, I'm eager to get home and see if her newborn fluff fits well right from the beginning!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • littlebb22littlebb22 member
    edited June 2016
    Favorite folds (prefolds or flats) for newborns? I've been playing around with it a bit but I feel like they are coming out crazy bulky and I end up just using the few AIOs we have. I really want to be able to use the prefolds and flats because we have way more of them but my little man looks like a sumo wrestler whenever I do!

ETA: He is currently 11 days old and about 7lb 11oz
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @littlebb22 Im having the same problem. Ive been forcing myself to use the prefolds during the day but seriously hate them.  Cant wait until hes in the OS pockets we have 
  • Favorite folds (prefolds or flats) for newborns? I've been playing around with it a bit but I feel like they are coming out crazy bulky and I end up just using the few AIOs we have. I really want to be able to use the prefolds and flats because we have way more of them but my little man looks like a sumo wrestler whenever I do!

ETA: He is currently 11 days old and about 7lb 11oz
    We use the angel wing fold… And that seems to work the best.

• vinerievinerie member
    edited June 2016
    CD mamas: our little one completely saturates the prefolds that we have every time we check the diaper.  The other day I changed his diaper, nursed him for 10 minutes and could tell that he had soiled diaper, so I changed it again. In that 10 minutes the diaper was completely saturated again! It seems like one pee saturates the diaper. Is this normal?The service gave us newborn prefolds and they're tight on him ( he was 9 pounds, 13 ounces at birth, so he's on the bigger side already… )so maybe they are just too small and he needs a bigger size. But I feel discouraged about cloth diapers because every time we change them they're completely soaked through. 

• I just tried a cloth diaper for the first time, it was a OS pocket. Within 10 minutes he let out the biggest poop to date and must have had a lot of pee as well. It completely soaked through the diaper. I thought the outside lining was supposed to be water proof on the OS and the AIO's? If it soaks through every time I can't see this working...maybe I'm doing something wrong?
    TTC#1 January 2013, BFP 7/4/13 MC 8/7/13 D&C 8/22/13
    BFP 5/20/14 CP 5/26/14
    BFP 12/6/14 DD Born an Angel on 7/17/15 at 35 weeks
    An Angel in The Book of Life
    Wrote Down Our Baby's Birth
    And Whispered as She Closed the Book
    Too Beautiful for Earth...
    TTC#2 August 2015 BFP 9/10/15 EDD 5/26/16

BabyFruit Ticker