3rd Trimester

Pro and Cons Please

2»

Re: Pro and Cons Please

• https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/130/3/585

Here is their statement,  and it discussed 3rd party pay (insurance ). 

Basically,  it says it's a general good idea, but to review your own personal belief and religious views.
  • So I just looked up cosmetic in the old Oxford.

"To alter the appearance of".

This makes sense.

Is there any proof it's beneficial healthwise?
    I have nothing vested in this, and I'm certainly not looking to start an argument if it's a hot button topic... I'm genuinely curious as to why you would/n't have it done.
  • Loading the player...
  • So I just looked up cosmetic in the old Oxford.

"To alter the appearance of".

This makes sense.

Is there any proof it's beneficial healthwise?
    I have nothing vested in this, and I'm certainly not looking to start an argument if it's a hot button topic... I'm genuinely curious as to why you would/n't have it done.
    Please see my link above. It links several studies that show there are benefits, including the first year of life.
  • "Although health benefits are not great enough to recommend routine circumcision for all male newborns, the benefits of circumcision are sufficient to justify access to this procedure for families choosing it and to warrant third-party payment for circumcision of male newborns." (https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/130/3/585)

So it should be covered by insurance according to this. It's not recommended routinely, but not not recommended either... LOL Your circus. Your monkey. You decide.
  • @PootsDragon basically.  They are slightly for it, just enough that insurance should pay. But are not enough to aggressively push the issue. 
    They are basically saying 'hey, it's probably a good idea. But,  if your against it, that's cool too'
  • Ooh, my apologies, I missed your post before (not sure my phone had updated the thread when I reposted).

I'll give the link a read now.
  • Called my insurance, nope they don't cover it. And we have really good insurance.

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• blush64blush64 member
    @PootsDragon basically.  They are slightly for it, just enough that insurance should pay. But are not enough to aggressively push the issue. 
    They are basically saying 'hey, it's probably a good idea. But,  if your against it, that's cool too'
    One could also read it as they are neutral on it. They find there are benefits enough should someone choose it but not enough to reccommned it routinely. They are leaving it up to parents but want it covered for people who choose it.
  • blush64 said:
    We are getting our son circumcised, we didn't even need to talk about it. Id' personally talk to your doctor, asking a bunch of people on The Bump isn't really going to help you one way or the other. Most of us are not doctors and most of us do not have a penis.
    I don't need to have a penis to have an opinion 
    Make sure to keep this mind when a bunch of men want to make rules and decisions on what you should and should not be able to do your body without your consent.... 
    That is not the same thing. No one is saying a grown man should or shouldn't be circumsized.

We are talking about doing this to our own sons. Our babies. Mothers are just as capable of researching and reading and talking to doctors as men are. If it was something to do with my daughter's vagina I would certainly expect my husband to do his research and help make the decision.

A grown man can speak about his own penis, he knows his own experiences. His experience with his own penis isn't as important to me as what actual doctors and research says.
    100% THIS! 
  • For me: there is no pro's. So I will not circumcise any children I might have. It isn't as common here as well and isn't covered by healthcare so its a total non issue for me.

• blush64 said:
    We are getting our son circumcised, we didn't even need to talk about it. Id' personally talk to your doctor, asking a bunch of people on The Bump isn't really going to help you one way or the other. Most of us are not doctors and most of us do not have a penis.
    I don't need to have a penis to have an opinion 
    Make sure to keep this mind when a bunch of men want to make rules and decisions on what you should and should not be able to do your body without your consent.... 
    That is not the same thing. No one is saying a grown man should or shouldn't be circumsized.

We are talking about doing this to our own sons. Our babies. Mothers are just as capable of researching and reading and talking to doctors as men are. If it was something to do with my daughter's vagina I would certainly expect my husband to do his research and help make the decision.

A grown man can speak about his own penis, he knows his own experiences. His experience with his own penis isn't as important to me as what actual doctors and research says.
    100% THIS! 

YESSSS
  • Chiming in late here. I called my insurance to ask about it. It's covered at 80% and is considered preventative care based on pediatric recommendation that @BecauseBabyIamAPug listed. So some insurances do seem to cover it seems but the fact coverage is so wishy washy is lame regardless of how you personally feel on the issue.