March 2016 Moms
Options

Supplementing with formula question

katy0990katy0990 member
edited May 2016 in March 2016 Moms
I am breast feeding, but LO has struggled to gain weight so I am having to supplement with about 4 ounces of formula each day. I just noticed that on the formula can it says not to use it once the can has been open for 30 days. I don't want to put my baby's health at risk, but  I hate to throw away half a can of formula. Does anyone know what happens after 30 days? Most other products we use after the expiration date as long as it looks and smells fine, but I don't want to take any risks with my 2 month old.

Re: Supplementing with formula question

• Options
    If I'm doing my brain calculations correctly, you'll probably be using most of it by 30 days? Correct me if I'm wrong... But a couple days over is fine. Just check the color/texture/smell when you open it and be super careful about not getting any moisture in the can every day (I have a knack for getting water on that stupid scoop all the time)

Anniversary

• Options
    Okay. Thanks! It has been 30 days and we have over half the can left.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have another question. I feel like an idiot for not understanding this. On the can for the semilac for supplementation it says one level scoop per 2 ounces of water. In the picture it looks like the scoop is filled to the line in the middle but DH says we are supposed to fill the script to the top. Which way is it?
  • Options
    Fill the scoop to the top for 2 oz

Anniversary

• Options
    katy0990 said:
    I have another question. I feel like an idiot for not understanding this. On the can for the semilac for supplementation it says one level scoop per 2 ounces of water. In the picture it looks like the scoop is filled to the line in the middle but DH says we are supposed to fill the script to the top. Which way is it?
    I got paranoid about the same thing once, but if you look closely, the unfilled portion is just a circle indicating the shape of the scoop. 
  • Options
    Thanks! I feel bad now because I was only filling the scoop halfway. Oops!
  • Options
    katy0990 said:
    Thanks! I feel bad now because I was only filling the scoop halfway. Oops!

Gah! Stuck in the box! That's ok, a couple nights ago I was really frustrated with DS. He woke up to eat, so I made his bottle in the dark like I normally do. He would only drink half of it and got mad, then fussed off and on the rest of the night. In the morning I realized only half of the powder had come out of the dispenser! The poor guy was just hungry :(

Anniversary

• Options
    We try so hard to do it perfectly, but sometimes I guess it just isn't possible.