June 2016 Moms
Options

Spectra S2...battery hack?

Happy Friday!

I've look through previous breast pump threads and have been checking out amazon reviews, etc all morning.  My insurance will only cover the Spectra S2 (not the S1 with the battery pack).  I plan to exclusively pump after the first few weeks and really want the Spectra over the Medela PISA.  

Has anyone found a chargeable battery pack or some type of battery hack that works for this pump?  Asking b/c I don't think the pumping room at work has an outlet. 

Re: Spectra S2...battery hack?

• Options
    This is a great question, I am also planning on ordering the s2 and if my job doesnt move offices like they say they will, there will be nowhere for me to pump besides for the conference room if I need an outlet...  
  • Options
    Bear14+Bear14+ member
    Is there an upgrade option to the S1? Most of the providers will let you pay extra to get it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Unfortunately, my insurance is all or nothing...jerks. Though amazon does seem to be offering a decent price for the Spectra S1 I want to get my money's worth from insurance with a free pump so maybe I will end up with two kinds. I did find a car charger hack while reading through amazon reviews but I'm not about to walk out to my car to pump 3-4 times a day. 
  • Options
    I was thinking of having a pump to leave at work and the one at home, so if my insurance will only cover the s2 then maybe i'll buy the s1 once i go back to work and keep it there, one less thing to drag back and forth every day!
  • Options
    I love this idea!
  • Options
    BettyRuBettyRu member
    Can you try a different medical distributor to see if they work with your insurance and offer an upgrade? Spectra's website has a page that shows a list of distributors that offer Spectra (just got mine in... Wondering if I'll like it better than the Medela that worked for me last go around)
  • Options
    I've only seen the hack to use Medela flanges and parts. 

I know this isn't ideal, but could an extension cord be run into the pumping area? The way I see it, they need to provide a pumping space, their insurance only covers a pump that needs an outlet, so they shouldn't have an issue with running an extension cord. 
  • Options
    MCS6MCS6 member
    I have the spectra 2, and the "medela 12v battery pack" plugged into it works great!!!
    Also my medela 9 volt vehicle breast pump lighter adapter fits this pump as well.