TTC After a Loss
Options

RPL labs

so just wanted to see if this is common/anyone else has this done. With my recent CP (+ before first AF post d&c) my first beta was 23, then had heavy bleeding 3 days later so I knew it was a loss. Next day beta was 12, confirmed loss. Repeat at a week was 9, minimal drop. My NP left me a message today that they want to repeat until my quant is under 5 and then check a hemophilia panel. Is this a common first thing to look at with back to back losses? She doesn't want to check anything else besides that and neither of us have a family history so just wanted feed back on if anyone had this drawn

Re: RPL labs

• Options
    My OB tested for clotting issues, including antiphospholipid and lupus, also thyroid levels, and at my request Vitamin D level.  I may be leaving out something else but everything came back normal, which he said was the most likely result.  I don't think hemophilia was checked though, and my betas have not been followed.
  • Options
    Clotting issues are part of the RPL panel, but with everything I've read, it's more common to test for clotting issues after either 3 losses total or 2 losses after seeing a heartbeat. It's a little strange to me that she would want to test this without some other common things like thyroid, prolactin, androgen, blood sugar, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have known hypothyroid that is followed very closely by my endocrinologist. I've previously had prolactin tested with my PCOS labs annually but the last one was prior to our two losses, one with a heartbeat. I thought it seemed strange that was her one panel to test and she didn't explain it, just had the MA tell me that was the plan over the phone. 
  • Options
    That sounds reasonable to me. My lab's RPL panel includes clotting disorders as well as thyroid stuff. It tests for thrombophilias (tendencies to clot), rather than hemophilia (tendency to bleed---a whole separate thing). The words just sound very similar. I posted this on another thread, but this is what mine included:

Factor V leiden mutation, prothrombin (factor II) gene mutation, lupus anticoagulant, cardiolipin IgG and IgM antibodies, protein C and S activity, B2 glycoprotein IgG and IgM antibodies, antithrombin III activity, PT/INR, and aPTT. (these all are tests for clotting disorders and clotting times)
    Additionally that panel included a TSH and thyroid peroxidase antibody level.

Since your prolactin and thyroid are followed closely, I think an RPL panel is prudent to test if you are agreeable to it, and your OB is quite proactive in doing so. I had to beg mine after two losses after heartbeats. I hope this helps. Around here, those lab results take about a week to come back.

• Options
    I don't find that uncommon. A friend just had her third consecutive loss. The 3rd was at 14 wks and baby had no issues so they did the hemophilia panel in mom and one of the tests ended up being positive. This test was part if a larger panel though. Thyroid and clotting panels were included as well, along with other autoimmune tests bc she has an autoimmune condition. 

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    Aera11Aera11 member
    Yes @SnobunnieMel, I just had that done about a month ago.  I had two losses with only one cycle between them and my RE felt it was necessary to run a full panel.  I was fine with it and figured it was better to be safe than sorry.  FX for you!