Infertility

Second cycle IVF

Mandypants30Mandypants30 member
edited April 2016 in Infertility
My husband and I had our first IVF-ICSI cycle in the beginning of April that was unsuccessful. They retrieved 23 eggs, 14 fertilized normally, 6 developed to blastocysts, but by day 6, they were poor quality and could not even be biopsied. We were crushed, and angry to say the least. I feel naive that I assumed it was going to work first time. I kind of feel stupid, actaully. 

I spoke with the embryologist and he said my husband's sperm quality and count weren't great, which we already knew, hence the IVF.

We are going for a second cycle, but are more guarded and nervous this time around. If it doesn't work this time, I'm afraid financially we are out. 

Just needing some encouragement for the second time around!

Re: Second cycle IVF

• Has your DH had any additional tests done from a urologist? I think they can generally provide meds or recommendations to help with sperm quality, depending on what the problem is.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Mandypants30Mandypants30 member
    edited April 2016
    Yes, he was on clomid and another supplement, but it didn't increase count or quality. It did increase his low testosterone, though. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Good luck to you @AandDM2014. Our issues are mine but I share your disappointment. We had 11 eggs retrieved in our first cycle and only 5 were mature enough for fertilization. Our clinic preserved two embryos on day 3 so we could try FET but I am fully expecting we will need to try again and paying OOP makes it difficult. Best of luck to you and FX for better success this next try. 
    Me: 33, Hubby: 36
    TTC since May 2014
    First RE Appt - September 2015
    DX: Hypothyroid, DOR
    IUI w/ Clomid - October 2015 - BFN
    ER - 2/10/16, 2 Day 3 Embryos
    FET - 4/15/16 - BFN
    Summer 2016 - Taking a break to try herbal treatment and acupuncture
  • Wow, I'm so sorry for your failed cycle, and with that many eggs!  I can understand why you became so upset by that.  Sperm count/quality is often the reason people do IVF.  You'd think they would be able to select the best swimmers and have better success.  I have read stories on these forums of couples having much better success the second time around though, so hopefully that will be you!  I don't have any solid advice since we won't be doing our first IVF until June, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you had to go through this.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20