3rd Trimester

Some baby item advice from FTM with 10 week old

Re: Some baby item advice from FTM with 10 week old

• Loading the player...
  • quartz02 said:
    ...also, it was way easier to side-lie nurse and put baby back to sleep than to need to be awake enough to make a bottle.
    I just found out about this nursing position recently and am really intrigued! Now I know which brain to come pick when I need tips later! ;)
  • Nerdchild said:
    quartz02 said:
    ...also, it was way easier to side-lie nurse and put baby back to sleep than to need to be awake enough to make a bottle.
    I just found out about this nursing position recently and am really intrigued! Now I know which brain to come pick when I need tips later! ;)
    Side nursing was my savior when DS1 was a baby! It was the only way we survived those first few months! DS2 wouldn't do it though, but he was a better sleeper so it wasn't a big deal. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• TM14TM14 member
    I had a hard time breastfeeding with my daughter due to PPD and she had to be switched to formula.  But I would NEVER tell someone to not to breastfeed. Maybe you didn't say it like that but it felt like it. 

Every woman's experience is different. You learn as you go. At 10 weeks I would have never started dishing out advice to anyone.
  • see, this is why I was mislead. Partly it's this board. I'm not at all negative against breastfeeding, quite the opposite actually. But the reality is that you WILL have to feed every 2 hrs around the clock and that really isn't doable for quite a lot of people. You just don't find them posting the reality of the situation on these boards. Yes, everyone's experience is different, but saying that most women don't breastfeed past 6 months is actually a fact, not something I made up. Are there breastfeeding superstars? Yes, I know some. As for the onesies, yes, I know they go down over their shoulders, but they don't go on that way. And at 3 am struggling with a sleeping infant, it's just easier to avoid the head thing and get onesies that wrap. im posting just in case there are other moms out there who are all alone taking care of an infant by themselves may need some products that make life easier for them.

You don't HAVE to feed the baby every two hours. My doctor has instructed to feed WHEN THE BABY IS HUNGRY. Why wake up a sleeping baby? I am sorry, but I won't be feeding every two hours unless that is what baby wants. Not every child is the same and not every experience is the same. Also, I know many people who have BF past 6 months. I'll be going back to work full time after 3 months and I plan to BF when with baby and pumping when I'm not. I am determined to make this work. If it doesn't and I have to supplement or use strictly formula, well then that's what I have to do. I have no delusions in my head that being a parent, especially a FTM of an infant, is going to be easy.

@delujm0 I plan to start reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding this weekend! :)

@oneliloaktree13 You mean you weren't up every three hours with your puppy?! What was I doing wrong???

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • edited April 2016
    @AdorkablePixie I think he just had a huge bladder, we also adopted so he was a little over 6 months when we got him. 2 years later, we're still crate training though...because he's a crazy.
  • BoonhildeBoonhilde member
    edited April 2016
    Sure, BFing doesn't work for lots of mamas but I don't think they'll regret purchasing a bunch of nursing supplies, like... Um.... Oh! A nursing bra, or... Um... Nursing pads. (Even if you don't nurse those suckers are gonna leak!) What else? What else? Um.... Yeah. That's all the nursing supplies I can think of, unless you include a pump, and maybe some lanolin. But even then....
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Boonhilde said:
    Sure, BFing doesn't work for lots of mamas but I don't think they'll regret purchasing a bunch of nursing supplies, like... Um.... Oh! A nursing bra, or... Um... Nursing pads. (Even if you don't nurse those suckers are gonna leak!) What else? What else? Um.... Yeah. That's all the nursing supplies I can think of, unless you include a pump, and maybe some lanolin. But even then....
    Mine never leaked once. I guess boobs, like babies, are all different aswell. ;) 
  • My boobs have been leaking since about 25 weeks..... And I still have another 6 to go!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know I'm late to this convo, but this post is so problematic because if someone else does encounter difficulties it is almost an encouragement for them to stop breastfeeding. I definitely had difficulties, supplementing with formula early. DH just wanted everyone comfortable. A week later my parents came to help and my mom was having none of it. She literally said "no grandchild of mine will be formula fed." It made me feel terrible but we went to a (free through doc) lactation consultant who gave me tips, left me alone to nurse and try for a couple hours with her coming by to help as needed. We used a nipple shield for a little bit then weaned him off. It was HARD WORK. Giving up was not an option and I am grateful for the tough love. DS nursed until he was 2 years old. I wouldn't even keep th formula in the house as an option unless there is a medical need, which is rare.