December 2015 Moms

Babys first food

Re: Babys first food

• Loading the player...
  • Geez guys the op said let's share some pictures and immediately got beat up for giving solids.She then had to defend herself which a bunch of you took as formal shaming. She then defended herself again stating she uses formula!  If you don't like what you see scroll past. Quit mommy shaming. I never comment on anything like this but this behavior is appalling. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Take a breath. 
    I find it appalling that you choose to never participate and then try to take a stand against those who do participate, support each other and give advice on a regular basis. To me, you can't just sit in the stands and then randomly walk out into a game and tell the pitcher how to pitch.
    Andplusalso, it's pretty hypocritical to tell us to keep scrolling if we don't like something when you yourself didn't. 

Gurl, I love me some Adam...
  •  ATolentino89 said:
    Cole had cereal soup last night. He kept sucking on the spoon expecting more to come out. He seemed interested and most of it actually went down his throat! 
    Why am I in a quote box?

Did you mix with water, formula,  or breastmilk? I know you can do any,  just curious about what people are doing.  
  • Our lo is 4.5 months old and he's been doing baby food for a little over a week. He didn't care for the rice cereal and would spit it out but is doing great with Baby food.  We've done squash, green beans, sweet potatoes and start peas today.  Our pediatrician gave us the go ahead since our lo was sitting up with very little assistance. He still gets his formula but then 2x a day he takes baby food after his feedings.
  • Our lo is 4.5 months old and he's been doing baby food for a little over a week. He didn't care for the rice cereal and would spit it out but is doing great with Baby food.  We've done squash, green beans, sweet potatoes and start peas today.  Our pediatrician gave us the go ahead since our lo was sitting up with very little assistance. He still gets his formula but then 2x a day he takes baby food after his feedings.
    Please make sure you're putting 3-5 days in between each new food you give your lo in case there is an allergy issue.
  • mhuber223 said:
     ATolentino89 said:
    Cole had cereal soup last night. He kept sucking on the spoon expecting more to come out. He seemed interested and most of it actually went down his throat! 
    Why am I in a quote box?

Did you mix with water, formula,  or breastmilk? I know you can do any,  just curious about what people are doing.  
    Breastmilk. He isn't a fan of the current formulas taste so we will probably go back to simulac or try gerber. 
  • taysun said:
    kdoak2015 said:
    @kdoak2015 we wanted to wait until 6 months as well, but due to low supply I wanted henry to get nutrients from organic food rather that formula. we had a pedi appt on fri and dr agreed with our thought process, he just turned 4m on the 10th. not what we planned but he seemed ready and interested and he really enjoyed it! :smiley: 
    Doc agreed with this wow really? I would personally rather my child have the devil we call "formula" which she does due to supply issues, then mess her digestive system up. Everyone has a difference of opinion though.
    Organic food is still solid food. I would redflag a pediatrician who agreed to that rather than formula....
    And if someone is super concerned, they make non gmo formula. Any formula still has plenty of nutrients. I feel like that comment (the original one) is literally a slap in the face to anyone who is exclusively formula feeding or supplementing. 
    Yup I'm a bad mom for exclusively FF my 4 month old instead of giving him solids that he clearly should not be eating yet. Shame on FF mothers!
  • LaceyH13- My pediatrician didn't say anything about DS needing to sit up on his own before starting him on cereal and baby food. Reading some of these posts was the first time I've heard that. We will probably start with cereal very soon. DS is starting to get pretty ticked off after he finishes a bottle and lately he stares me down while I'm eating. He definitely seems interested!
  • We do one new food for 3 days then start a new one. 
  • My son is 4 1/2 months and is so curious when I eat he watches me like a hawk. My Pediatritian recommended to start rice cereal next month. My husband and I decided we don't want to do the rice cereal so we will start solids when he is 6 months, which seems to be the new recommendation these days. 
  • @katielwells they recommend rice or oatmeal cereal because it's fortified with extra iron and a baby who exclusively drinks breastmilk won't get enough iron at 6 months from your milk alone. My pedi said if we opted to skip the cereals just focus on iron rich foods, but it's a lesser issue for us since I supplement with formula as well. 
  • Started on oatmeal at 4 and a half months. My son likes it. I mix it with breast milk. My pedi recommend cereal at 4 months, veggies at 5 and fruit at 6. I'm not comfortable giving it to him every day yet. So far just weekends. Now that hes 5 months perhaps i'll go every 4 days and increase from there. 
  • DD has reflux and my pediatrician gave the okay to start rice cereal at 4 months. She is feeding like crazy... Maybe another growth spurt? But she seems to be enjoying the rice cereal. I dont give her much because I'm afraid of constipation.

Solid foods I won't start until she is 6 months.
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

• DS has been on pureed food since 17 weeks, his reflux was ridiculously bad and I didn't like the high dosage medicines. He's loving it though!
  • I started oatmeal at 4.5mo and purees at 5. So far so good. No allergies and she loves eating. More, she loves making messes lol. But we've tried bananas, squash, green beans, sweet potatoes and peaches. I make her food myself and she eats about a tblsp everyday. 
  • I found that oatmeal works wonders for constipation! :joy: 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I found that oatmeal works wonders for constipation! :joy: 
    If you breastfeed, foremilk is THE best infant laxative. Either pump and give the milk you get after a single let down or let it separate in the fridge. Softens that poop right up. 
  • abidabiabidabi member
    DS has just turned four months going to wait until 6m if I can to try him on solids, just curious as when you give the solids? Between milk feeding? After? Before? Do you find they lose interest in milk quickly? An obvious FTM here.
  • abidabi said:
    DS has just turned four months going to wait until 6m if I can to try him on solids, just curious as when you give the solids? Between milk feeding? After? Before? Do you find they lose interest in milk quickly? An obvious FTM here.
    I do a few spoons of oatmeal for breakfast and a few spoons of fruit/veg at dinner. I do it while dh and I are sitting at the table to eat. It helps make her feel involved lol. But she drinks a bottle after. She still loves milk and eats just as much milk as she always has.
  • abidabiabidabi member
    yl1m32015 said:
    abidabi said:
    I do a few spoons of oatmeal for breakfast and a few spoons of fruit/veg at dinner. I do it while dh and I are sitting at the table to eat. It helps make her feel involved lol. But she drinks a bottle after. She still loves milk and eats just as much milk as she always has.
    That's good to know, DS stares while we eat dinner and finds it funny, he seems interested but not ready yet. I'm in no rush either lol how old is your LO? 
  • kit9452kit9452 member
    My pediatrician didn't even mention solid foods at DD'a 4 month appointment. That's okay with me since I wanted to wait until 6 months.
  • abidabi I do breast, food, (other)breast. I feel like if he isn't starving then he will be more patient for the food and I like to have him wash it down with milk afterwards. My mom actually pointed out to me that I like to wash my food down when I'm done eating, so he will too.
  • abidabi said:
    yl1m32015 said:
    abidabi said:
    That's good to know, DS stares while we eat dinner and finds it funny, he seems interested but not ready yet. I'm in no rush either lol how old is your LO? 
    She'll be 6mo next week. 
  • My family doctor suggested letting the twins have some rice cereal before bed to maybe help them sleep though the night. They are 22 weeks today and hate the stuff. I gave up after 3 nights, they just aren't ready for anything from a spoon yet. I will try again in a month. 

• laura6006laura6006 member
    edited May 2016
    @cedixon2 what is that spoon contraption in your hand!?
    ETA: I love the faces they are making in that photo
  • This might be a stupid question but is the oatmeal you give a baby the same we eat or is there a special baby kind? 
  • Gerber rice cereal

the spoon is a munchkin baby feeder... It's like turkey baster with a spoon attached. 
  • laurabwalkerlaurabwalker member
    edited May 2016
    Yay so fun, can't wait to feed Ellie! We are waiting tI'll 6 months. :) 
  • taysuntaysun member
    edited May 2016
    I'm literally dreading starting solids. So much effort. If I can I'm going to hold off until 6 mo adjusted but we're waiting on the tongue thrust reflex to stop being so strong. 
  • Have sweet potato purée to DS today and it was a hit. He has no interest in the rice cereal. 

• lol <3 she likes the oatmeal better than rice cereal :)

• I'm late to the party.... Shame. 

Ps. My next baby I'm gonna take OPs advice and feed my newborn organic solids immediately, because, you know, it's better than breast milk and formula combined. 

I also let my baby suck on knives because they are gluten free.
  • I got the go ahead from the Pedi this morning, says baby is just a little on the bigger side according to his weight, but we could introduce if we wanted to.  I opted to do rice cereal first until he gets adjusted to the spoon feeding before we officially start on food.  Does anyone own a baby bullet blender?  Any advice for a FTM?
  • My pediatrician told me she did oatmeal instead of rice cereal because of the arsenic. Just curious, Has anyone else heard this? 

• @Peanut1128 yes, I read that somewhere during pregnancy. We opted for the oatmeal cereal instead. 
  • My pediatrician told me she did oatmeal instead of rice cereal because of the arsenic. Just curious, Has anyone else heard this? 

We are giving oatmeal instead of rice cereal because of the arsenic. They say it's a very small amount, but I still don't want my daughter to have any.

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm493740.htm

https://news.gerber.com/in_the_news/gerber-safety-statement-238803
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers