December 2015 Moms

Babys first food

Thought it would be fun to see what everyone is letting lo try for their first foods! Henry had avocado! Show me some baby pics!!!

Re: Babys first food

• We are waiting until 6m as per the recommendations but I've let her use her mesh feeder and suck on frozen strawberries and blueberries. She loved it but is so not ready for solids. 
  • @kdoak2015 we wanted to wait until 6 months as well, but due to low supply I wanted henry to get nutrients from organic food rather that formula. we had a pedi appt on fri and dr agreed with our thought process, he just turned 4m on the 10th. not what we planned but he seemed ready and interested and he really enjoyed it! :smiley: 
  • Loading the player...
  • We did squash first. Then prunes. Only about 5 spoonfuls per day but she seems to like them
  • @kdoak2015 we wanted to wait until 6 months as well, but due to low supply I wanted henry to get nutrients from organic food rather that formula. we had a pedi appt on fri and dr agreed with our thought process, he just turned 4m on the 10th. not what we planned but he seemed ready and interested and he really enjoyed it! :smiley: 
    Doc agreed with this wow really? I would personally rather my child have the devil we call "formula" which she does due to supply issues, then mess her digestive system up. Everyone has a difference of opinion though.
  • taysun said:
    kdoak2015 said:
    @kdoak2015 we wanted to wait until 6 months as well, but due to low supply I wanted henry to get nutrients from organic food rather that formula. we had a pedi appt on fri and dr agreed with our thought process, he just turned 4m on the 10th. not what we planned but he seemed ready and interested and he really enjoyed it! :smiley: 
    Doc agreed with this wow really? I would personally rather my child have the devil we call "formula" which she does due to supply issues, then mess her digestive system up. Everyone has a difference of opinion though.
    Organic food is still solid food. I would redflag a pediatrician who agreed to that rather than formula....
    And if someone is super concerned, they make non gmo formula. Any formula still has plenty of nutrients. I feel like that comment (the original one) is literally a slap in the face to anyone who is exclusively formula feeding or supplementing. 
    They make pretty decent organic formula, too. 
  • taysun said:
    kdoak2015 said:
    @kdoak2015 we wanted to wait until 6 months as well, but due to low supply I wanted henry to get nutrients from organic food rather that formula. we had a pedi appt on fri and dr agreed with our thought process, he just turned 4m on the 10th. not what we planned but he seemed ready and interested and he really enjoyed it! :smiley: 
    Organic food is still solid food. I would redflag a pediatrician who agreed to that rather than formula....
    And if someone is super concerned, they make non gmo formula. Any formula still has plenty of nutrients. I feel like that comment (the original one) is literally a slap in the face to anyone who is exclusively formula feeding or supplementing. 
    I absolutely agree, but try not to let this type of person get to me! 
  • @kdoak2015 your assuming an aweful lot....I never said anything about moms who feed their children formula is poison....but I guess you can bash me for feeding my son solids too early and it's ok..... I got it now..... Seems to me your the only one with the problem here. Let's all try and grow up around here. 
  • BubbzBubbz member
    Just to get this thread back on track...ahem.

Although I had been planning on waiting, I decided to let my mom, the long distance grandma, in on one of the few "firsts" I could control. So we introduced my 4 month old to food via oatmeal last week while she was visiting! I made it so thin it was basically breast milk soup. He definitely wanted it, even if he wasn't quite sure of the delivery system!

I definitely won't really push solids at this stage, but I figured a bit of food here and there won't do much, especially since it's mostly breast milk anyway.
    Is heartily apologizing to her child in advance for genes that predispose them to shitty vision and being Too Damn Tall.
  • Same here- we started with a very little bit of fruit as a dessert- first avocado, then moved to banana, now to applesauce. (We are doing a 4 day wait between foods).  She seems to really like "banana pudding" the best- banana and breastmilk.  We are definitely not pushing solids, but I'm happy to let her start playing with tastes and textures.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @fencingmonkey your son is super adorable having his first solid meal!
  • I honestly don't get the appeal of solids. I actually wish the recommendation was past 12 months. It's so messy. And so much work. I don't wanna. Just take a boob or bottle forever, kid. 

Why yes, I'll take that Mother of the Year award, thank you. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • With DD1, I started rice cereal at 4 months. With DD2, we started with sweet potatoes (an iron rich veggie) at 6 months and started baby led weaning at 7 months. We plan to do the same sort of thing with DD3, as we did with # 2.

• DS is 19 weeks today. We went to his 4 month check-up today. His pediatrician said we could start on cereal or oatmeal if we wanted to then move to veggies. I kind of want to start on it right away because I think he's really going to enjoy food! Hubby wants to wait a little longer. We'll probably start giving him cereal in a couple weeks. 
  • asmith40 said:
    DS is 19 weeks today. We went to his 4 month check-up today. His pediatrician said we could start on cereal or oatmeal if we wanted to then move to veggies. I kind of want to start on it right away because I think he's really going to enjoy food! Hubby wants to wait a little longer. We'll probably start giving him cereal in a couple weeks. 
    Be sure he's ready, can sit on his own, tongue reflex is gone etc. my DD is 21w and still isnt ready!
  • At 4 month check-up doc said we could start food. I held off a couple of weeks, but when he grabbed food from my plate and tried to put it in his mouth, I figured he was ready. He had applesauce yesterday and loved it. My mom has all of the pictures, so I can't post them yet.
  • My pediatrician said he needs to be able to sit up assisted, not on his own. Have others heard differently from their doctors? This is the first I have heard of sitting up unassisted.
  • LaceyH13 said:
    My pediatrician said he needs to be able to sit up assisted, not on his own. Have others heard differently from their doctors? This is the first I have heard of sitting up unassisted.

Mine judged Henry's readiness on his weight and milestones and that he sits assisted. When BLW the child has to sit unassisted I believe. I'm waiting a little while longer until he can sit better before trying real foods, but that's my personal preference. He get rice cereal everyday with a spoon for reflux and I'm not crazy about that even. 
  • Geez guys the op said let's share some pictures and immediately got beat up for giving solids.She then had to defend herself which a bunch of you took as formal shaming. She then defended herself again stating she uses formula!  If you don't like what you see scroll past. Quit mommy shaming. I never comment on anything like this but this behavior is appalling. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Take a breath. 
    She didn't get "beaten up" for starting solids, if you reread her comment, it says she would rather organic foods over formula. Sounds like "formula shaming" to me! The reason why people took this personally is for one reason or another they can not feed their baby breast milk and feel bad enough and don't need comments that implies that formula is devil food. If you don't like it move on, it's just the interwebs.

It wasn't just the shaming but questioning the wisdom of going against set recommendations and why her doctor would approve. It wasn't even the picture post but a later one, I saw so immediate response. And no, it wasn't an attack. I saw genuine shock and concern.
  • ATolentino89ATolentino89 member
    edited April 2016
    Cole had cereal soup last night. He kept sucking on the spoon expecting more to come out. He seemed interested and most of it actually went down his throat!