1st Trimester

Walking a marathon in 1st trimester good or bad?

so last year oct I found out I was pregnant with me and my finances first child we were more then happy but in nov after walking and running around the flea market I started to bleed the blessing lasted over 2 months and finally dec 10 they said I had miscarriages and my body was Goin back to normal. So they said as soon as I stopped bleeding I could try again now 3 cycles later I finally got my BFP I'm beyond excited but also very nervous about everything this time around!! So I'm looking for some advice I have a march of dimes coming up on April 30 which is 3k walk I really was excited about doing the March but I also DO NOT WANT TO TO DO ANYTHING TO PUT MY PREGNANCY AT RISK!! Any advice will help !! Thanks!!

Re: Walking a marathon in 1st trimester good or bad?

• arillon said:
    so last year oct I found out I was pregnant with me and my finances first child we were more then happy but in nov after walking and running around the flea market I started to bleed the blessing lasted over 2 months and finally dec 10 they said I had miscarriages and my body was Goin back to normal. So they said as soon as I stopped bleeding I could try again now 3 cycles later I finally got my BFP I'm beyond excited but also very nervous about everything this time around!! So I'm looking for some advice I have a march of dimes coming up on April 30 which is 3k walk I really was excited about doing the March but I also DO NOT WANT TO TO DO ANYTHING TO PUT MY PREGNANCY AT RISK!! Any advice will help !! Thanks!!
    First off I am sorry for your loss. But please know your miscarriage had nothing to do with walking at the flea market. Walking is actually a very healthy exercise to continue while pregnant. As long as you are not on physical restrictions for anything do your walk, raise money for a great cause and have fun.

• I haven't lost a baby so I can't imagine the grief you've experienced, very sorry for your loss.  I was a marathon runner prior to pregnancy and I talked a lot with my OB about exercise and what I was able to do.  These massive boobs have reduced my running (it hurts!) but I've been walking 5-7 miles a day.  Unless your doctor says otherwise, I wouldn't worry.  Do what your body feels up to.  If it's not fun, stop.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much this really helped me I feel much better!!
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. On top of the grief, it is easy to feel guilt, but please know that you did nothing wrong and you did not cause your loss. It is a terrible thing but outside of your control. 
    Walking is a fantastic exercise when pregnant, so as long as you feel up for it you should definitely do the walk! I also wanted to say thank you for doing the March of Dimes- it's such a great charity :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm sorry for your loss...but assuming you were having a low-risk pregnancy, it is highly unlikely that walking around caused your miscarriage.  A vast majority of early miscarriages are caused by chromosomal abnormalities that you can do absolutely nothing to control or prevent.

Assuming you are in decent shape, walking a 3k would not be a problem.  Bring water along so you can stay hydrated, and don't push yourself.  Also, might want to consider changing the title of your post - while my advice would have been pretty similar if you WERE walking a marathon (if you're used to it and you've trained for it, go on with your bad self), a 3k is nowhere near a marathon's length.  I think I walk more than a 3k going from my parking spot to my office and back every day.  Unless you have an unbelievably sedentary lifestyle, or health concerns that make your pregnancy high-risk, there is little reason to be concerned about a walk of this length.  I was regularly walking 2+ miles for exercise several times a week for my entire pregnancy.  Staying in shape while pregnant is very important.

I ran a half marathon a few years ago, and a girlfriend who was planning to run it with me and signed up for it got pregnant in the meantime.  She was 14 weeks on race day, so she just walked it instead of running, and had no issues.  She did train for it in advance, and was a runner prior to pregnancy, so she was not worried about it.  A half marathon is 13.2 miles, for comparison.

• I'm sorry for your loss, but as PPs have said, it's extremely unlikely that your miscarriage was caused by walking. Early miscarriages are typically caused by genetic issues, and your babies genetics are determined at fertilization. Walking is one of the most commonly recommended exercises during pregnancy, and a 3k is less than 2 miles, which is less than half of your recommended steps per day.

Also, a 3k is not a marathon...but in case there is a typo somewhere in there are you actually are planning on walking 26.2 miles, it should not be an issue if your body is already used to walking distances like that and you keep yourself hydrated. You shouldn't start any new exercise regimen once you become pregnant, but, as long as you are in good health, you should be safe to continue any existing workouts. (I ran a half marathon early early early on in my pregnancy...found out the day after I ran that I was pregnant, so 4-5 weeks, and had no issues.)

If you're really worried about it, talk to your OB and follow their advice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker