Baby Names
Options

Boy's name question

amangels2amangels2 member
edited April 2016 in Baby Names
Hello all!
It's been a while since I've posted here because I knew my little boy's name.  But over the weekend, my mom threw me for a little loop.  My baby's first name will be Samuel (Sam).   I had originally picked the middle name Ryan, because Ryan is a name that I have loved for ever and I really liked the way it goes with Samuel.  My mom mentioned that maybe I should give him my father's middle name because she feels the family connection would be a good thing.  I chose to have a baby on my own, had an IUI with an unknown donor to achieve that, so my baby does not have a father.  I can totally see where she is coming from, and I like the idea of my baby having the connection of sharing a name with his grandfather.  I just feel very torn because I really really like the name Samuel Ryan and have thought of him with that name for the past 7 months.  My father's name is Richard.

Boy's name question 96 votes

Samuel Ryan
66% 64 votes
Samuel Richard
33% 32 votes

Re: Boy's name question

• Options
    What is your dad's middle name? Or another family name (mom's maiden name, grandparent's name?) that you love? A family tie might be nice and meaningful for you.
  • Options
    My dad's middle name is George, not really a fan.  Sam does have a family tie, my grandmother's initials were SAM and my grandfather called her Sam as a nickname.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel like Samuel Ryan flows better. Nothing wrong with Samuel Richard either if you want to honor your dad but it should be what YOU want not what others pressure you towards

• Options
    Baby will have a family connection, you're growing him!! Go with what you like. Love Samuel Ryan.
  • Options
    Go with Sam Ryan! I (Sort of) understand what your mom is saying, but don't really see that it's that big of a deal. You are always going to regret not naming him your dream name. 
    Others had good points though: 
    1) you're growing the baby - that's a pretty strong connection!
    2) your last name is a connection. :)

Go with your gut and love the name you pick! 
  • Options
    Name him what you want to name him, or you'll regret it.  Samuel Ryan sounds good.  Go with your gut.
  • Options
    You do what you want. Your mother had her turn to name children. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers