May 2016 Moms
Options

Favorite BF book/video for FTM who knows nothing?

FTM here who is totally freaked out by BF but is planning to give it a shot.  Im on call 100% of the weekends between now and delivery so an in-person class isnt an option (should have started thinking about this sooner).

I looked at The Womanly Art of BF on amazon but MANY of the reviews said the book was actually quite judgemental - Im trying to avoid that since Im already a little queasy about it and freaked out about other life circumstances  (short maternity leave, pumping in my particular work situation, etc.)

So, what books/videos/pamphlets have you found to be informative and not super pushy?

Re: Favorite BF book/video for FTM who knows nothing?

• Options
    **dirty lurker**
    Kellymom.com is a really good resource for all things BF. 
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• Options
    SpylonSpylon member
    edited April 2016

I absolutely loved this video. I found it explained certain things that I couldn't wrap my head around before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y--syZR0u1E&feature=share  

ETA: I'm also a FTM who knows nothing, btw. I just found that this video calmed my nerves a little.

Image result for green dog

Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP #1: 9/12/2015
    DD: 6/1/2016
    BFP #2: 1/16/2018 MC 2/2/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Spylon said:

I absolutely loved this video. I found it explained certain things that I couldn't wrap my head around before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y--syZR0u1E&feature=share  

ETA: I'm also a FTM who knows nothing, btw. I just found that this video calmed my nerves a little.

Great video!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    FTM here who is totally freaked out by BF but is planning to give it a shot.  Im on call 100% of the weekends between now and delivery so an in-person class isnt an option (should have started thinking about this sooner).

I looked at The Womanly Art of BF on amazon but MANY of the reviews said the book was actually quite judgemental - Im trying to avoid that since Im already a little queasy about it and freaked out about other life circumstances  (short maternity leave, pumping in my particular work situation, etc.)

So, what books/videos/pamphlets have you found to be informative and not super pushy?
    I have a boat load of flyers/handouts I just got emailed to me from my breastfeeding class the other day. I haven't really gone through them yet bc there really are a bunch, but if you would like I can try and attach them to a PM for you later. 
  • Options
    I read ina may gaskin's breastfeeding book (well most of it). While it emphasizes that breastfeeding is best it also gave some great detailed information and tips as well as success stories and troubleshooting.

I think most breastfeeding books are going to be slanted toward anti-formula, but if you skip those sections they contain a lot of useful information.

I guess my advice is to pick out some reading material and skip the sections you don't really like :) the womanly art of breastfeeding is next on my list to skim through
  • Options
    The nursing mothers companion is the best book ever. Definitely not judgy and has a ton of tips for troubleshooting any situation you might find yourself in.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                    Anniversary
  • Options
    The Ultimate MRE from Mellanie Sheppard is very thorough. I bought a download for $30 off birthbootcamp.com website and have the download saved on my computer in case I need to review once baby is here. It has sections or chapters so you can go right to things you have questions on after you watch it entirely