May 2016 Moms
Options

Yeast Infection while on Antibiotics...

I am currently taking Penicillin VK 500mg due to a tooth infection (awaiting a root canal) and I've just started two days ago with an irritation/flare up in my vulva area (inside the labia). I noticed today that there's these little white clumps - I've had a yeast infection before, and I'm pretty sure that is what this is. I'm going to call up my OB-gyn tomorrow and ask if I can take over the counters or if they're able to prescribe anything for me (while I finish up the antibiotics). But has this happened to anyone and is it the penicillin? Ugh!

Re: Yeast Infection while on Antibiotics...

• Options
    Yep, antibiotics clean out all of the good bacteria along with the bad bacteria and for those prone to yeast infections (which pregnancy ups those odds) it's common to get a yeast infection while taking antibiotics. I'm prone to yeast infections in general, and get them EVERY time I'm on antibiotics, so I make sure to eat tons of yogurt and take probiotics to replace the good bacteria that the antibiotics get rid of. Definitely call your dr as I'm not sure what is safe and what's not during pregnancy as far as meds, and it sounds like you're too late for the yogurt remedy. 
  • Options
    Call your dr in the morning for what they recommend you use 

I ended up with a yeast infection after a round of amoxicillin this pregnancy. Dr wanted to see me before recommending anything just to make sure it was a yeast infection and not a bacterial infection. I ended up taking the one dose pill but could have used monistat. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your friendly pharmacist weighing in: 

Yes it's definitely due to the penicillin in this case but yeast infections are also really common in pregnancy anyway. 

Typically the once off fluconazole pill is best avoided because there seems to be conflicting evidence about its safety. I would say it's safe from what I know but I generally don't recommend it still. You can absolutely use monistat 3 or 6 day vaginal creams just don't insert the applicator all the way up...just far enough in to be able to get the cream inside. You don't want to be poking your cervix! 

I wouldnt say that its necessary to call the OB as sounds like a clear case of a yeast infection to me but if you want to, then absolutely not going to recommend not to do so. 

Hope that helps!! 
  • Options
    Thanks. Unfortunately, the yogurt thing doesn't quite work because I'm a HUGE yogurt eater (everyday, plain with apple slices). I figured I might get a reaction to the penicillin, since I did last time. So yucky!
  • Options
    I know my OB's office wants to do a culture just to make sure it is a yeast infection.  It probably is, but on the off chance it isn't they'd rather make sure they treat it appropriately.
    Met: 11/2/2004
    Dating: 3/24/2005
    Married: 11/5/2011
    Eleanor Leeann: 5/14/2015
    Baby # 2 Due: 5/17/2016
  • Options
    Unfortunately I keep getting yeast infections during this pregnancy. My midwife told me to use the Monistat 3 or 7, but avoid the 1 day because it's too strong. I typically use the 3 day and it's been fine. She also suggests adding a probiotic once a day and filling a peri bottle with a 1 to 9 apple cider vinegar and water mix, and then using that to rinse down there after every bathroom trip to help with any discomfort.
    May siggy challenge - Parenting Fails

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker