August 2016 Moms
Options

Need help: ordering bridesmaid dress

riveridgionalriveridgional member
edited March 2016 in August 2016 Moms
So, I'm in my close friend's wedding on Oct 29. My EDD is Aug 6. I need to order my bridesmaid dress in the next 2 weeks but have absolutely no idea on what size I should get. I'm planning on breastfeeding but, of course, don't know if that will work out or the impact on my boobs' size. I started out as barely a 34C and am now a 34DD at 21w3d. Also, I have no idea how quickly if and when I will "bounce back" or what would be a reasonable weight loss by almost 3 months post-partum. Should I order a size above what I would normally wear? Any tips or experience to assist?
Married to DH 10/6/12
TTC since 5/14
Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"

Re: Need help: ordering bridesmaid dress

• Options
    Unfortunately, this is almost impossible to answer because it varies so widely by body type. Some people bounce right back, some people never do, and some (most) are somewhere in between.

The most important thing (if you have a say in the matter) is to choose a dress that will be somewhat forgiving. Something loose and flowy if possible (and ideally nursing-friendly!).

Speaking solely for myself since I consider myself to be somewhat average body type: Before DS I was 5'8" and 150 lbs. size 8-10. By 3 months postpartum I was still up 10 lbs. from my pre-preg weight and probably a solid size 10. I'd count on your bust size staying where it is now, possibly another size bigger. But again, it's so hard to say because every woman is different.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Agree with PP.  In my experience with bridesmaid dresses, I always need a size up from my "normal size" anyway.  I would probably order it at least 2 sizes up.  You'll most likely need alterations no matter what happens, and it's always better to start too big, right?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    lucypodlucypod member
    edited March 2016
    Go at least a size up from what you measure now.  My SIL had to get her bridesmaids dress for my wedding which was 4 weeks after she delivered, and I believe ordered 2 sizes up from what she measured at the fitting.

Remember you can always take in!  And you may want the room in case you need some extra padding in your bra.  Find a great seamstress who can do the alterations for you in under 2 weeks and I think you'll be fine.  Ordering larger sizes or last-minute alterations may not be your cheapest option, but based on experience I think you'll be happy in the end.  Good luck!

Also... all of this depends on the type of dress that it is.  Some may be more forgiving in the tummy area than others.  Any good dress shop will tell you to order a dress based on your bust size so if you're afraid it might be bigger, go bigger!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just don't go too big. If it is gigantic on you, they won't be able to take it in that much. Could you post a photo of the dress?
     image image image
    TTC since 3/2011 Adenomyosis, LPD, hypothyroidism. 
    BFP on 7/20/12 after 4 cycles Clomid + IUI 
    2 large subchorionic hematomas & no heartbeat at 7w6d   
    D&E 8/18/12 Sonohysterography found septum and necrotic tissue.   
    Hysteroscopy to remove both 10/5
    IUI #5-7 50mg Clomid + trigger = BFN  
    IUI #8 Femara + Bravelle + HCG + Progesterone = BFP 3/27/13
    Beta 1 (13dpo) = 169  Beta 2 (17dpo) = 1073  No heartbeat at 9w3d. 
    D & C 5/10/13  Triploidy 69 (paternal inherited)
    IVF #1 with ICSI and PGS 11R 8M 5F 2 biopsied/frozen
    PGS results = 1 with trisomy 13 & 1 good embryo for FET 
    FET #1 EV, estrace, nitro patches.  Cancelled due to thin lining
    FET #1.2 oral estrace, f'ing nitro patches and no delestrogen.  Transfer 12/31. BFN
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
    Surprise BFP on 6/13/14  Our only unmedicated bfp ever.
    Beta #1 339  Beta #2 649 44 hour doubling time
  • Options
    I agree with the two sizes up.  I was lucky enough to bounce back quickly but my chest was huge from nursing.  I went from a 32dd to a 32 h-i and they stayed there for months.  
  • Options
    I have no advice but I have the same problem. My sisters wedding is 3 months after my due date and I'm just hoping somehow it will all work out. My plan is to order bigger and get it altered if I need to. 
  • Options
    Sekerambo said:
    I agree with the two sizes up.  I was lucky enough to bounce back quickly but my chest was huge from nursing.  I went from a 32dd to a 32 h-i and they stayed there for months.  
    On the flip side, not everyone gets huge from nursing. I'm still the same bra size I was before having kids, and I EBF my son for a year. That's what makes your question so tricky! ;)

• Options

I'm in my sister's wedding October 22, with a current due date of August 10, so I feel your pain! My plan was to ask the place she tells me to order from, err on the side of ordering big, and expect to pay a pretty penny for alterations.  I've had to alter every bridesmaid dress I've ever worn.

• Options
    I actually just ordered a bridesmaid dress for a wedding I'll be in in the middle of October. I asked the woman sizing us what I should do since I'll be two months PP and she suggested adding a corset back so it can just be adjusted according to where I'm at by the time of the wedding. It only cost $15 extra at the place we purchased dresses from. 
  • Options

This happened to a friend, and what they suggested doing was making sure the dress fit where the band of your bra sits, then plan for alterations two to four weeks before the event.

• Options
    No advice from my, just commiseration! My EDD is 8/4 and I'll be a BM in my SIL's wedding on 10/1! Eeeek!
    Me: 28
    DH: 31
    Married: May 2015
    1 Furbaby
    BFP 11/27/15
    EDD 8/4/16

• Options
    I'm to be a bridesmaid  in my sister's wedding 2 days after my EDD. :o  Obviously family is very understanding if I'm unable to. But, I'm in the same spot, the dilemma on what size.
    DH(27) + Me (27) = 1/14
    Baby #1: Aug. 2016
    Baby #2: April 1st, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    riveridgionalriveridgional member
    edited March 2016
    Glad I'm not the only one struggling with the decision. Thanks for the tips and advice. Guess I'll make the 2 hour drive to try them on in person (she's given us a few options but none are too flowy) ASAP and get the sales associate's advice as week though I am liking the 2 sizes up approach. 
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Options
    I had the opposite issue--I am in a wedding this weekend, and we had to order our dresses back in Aug or Sept. The bride knew I was TTGP, and I talked to the person we were buying the dresses from--she suggested 2 sizes up from my current size (which in bridesmaids sizes was already 1 size up from my regular size). The dress fits, luckily! Any smaller and it wouldn't. I think the best idea is to make sure it will fit your boobs as they are now (though they could be bigger!) and plan to alter it.

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    Uuuugh is there any way you can buy it after baby is born and have it rush shipped? I lost all my baby weight 11 DAYS pp, but my body was sooooo different.  In all honesty, almost 3 mos should give them plenty of time.  I had to order a BM dress while I was still BF in November and the wedding wasn't until August...the dress was huge on me for the wedding.  They altered it as much as they cloud, even took the whole thing apart and basically made a new dress.  The alterations were double the cost of the dress, it wasn't worth it.  I should have stood my ground and edited to order it.  I had the dress 3 weeks after our was ordered, there was no reason it needed to be that early.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    I have this same dilemma. I am due August 24th and will be a bridesmaid on October 8th after reading all the posts I am feeling a little better about when it comes time to order and the dress she picked is definitely more flowy so hopefully it will be a bit forgiving 
  • Options
    Oh, and yeah, my boobs didn't get huge while nursing either, definitely full but my cup size didn't change.  But I did gain 30 lbs, hence why my dress was gigantic.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    @dirtyboots - I'm right there with you! My husband, daughter, and I are all in my brothers wedding a week after my due date. I wish I had a month..... I'm not even sure if I'll still be pregnant.  
  • Options
    I am actually planning a wedding this summer and I will be about 7 months pregnant.  When I went to look for dresses, we put a pillow under the dress to get a good feel for how big I may be.  And they know how big to order.  We ended up going up like 3 sizes to be safe...because they can easily the dress in that much...but can't take it out that much. I say go try it on!
  • Options
    @Sekerambo forget about still being pregnant or not, you might be in labor!!!  Hopefully they know there's a good chance none of you will be there :-(

@Jengle77 Just be careful, because I was told that they can only alter dresses up to 2 sizes down, obviously if you'll be 7 mos pregnant you probably won't need to alter it to be that much smaller, but still, just a word from someone with experience in having bridal dress size nightmares!  Congrats on the impending engagement!
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    @SkiChic626- I'm terrified of that! My dd was a due date baby (came on her own) so I'm hoping this one is even earlier!  I don't know if our timing could be any worse for this pregnancy.  We are missing a wedding in Punta Cana in a month because of Zika and another good friend is getting married the day before my brother but 3 hours away.  No matter what, it's going to be very interesting.  
  • Options
    I actually just ordered my bridesmaid dress for my sisters wedding which is October 15th and I'm due august 19th. They recommended going up 2 sizes and just getting it taken in, I'm just wondering when I should take it for alterations 
  • Options
    @deneekoncz I wouldn't go any earlier than 2 weeks before.  For the wedding I was in I went 10 days before the wedding.  I was still losing that BF weight and I wanted the dress to be as close as possible.  It was still huge, but at least it didn't fall off lol
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016