December 2015 Moms

Sucking top lip

my LO (13 weeks) just started sucking her top lip a couple days ago.  She does it after she eats usually. It's pretty cute but I thought it was a little weird for her to just start now.  When she was first born she sucked on the bottom a lot (but I know that's common) has anyone else's baby started this? Anyone knows if it means anything (teething?)

Re: Sucking top lip

• My LO has been sucking both for the last maybe 2 weeks? She's also 13 weeks. I don't know if it's a sign of teething or not, I just took it as maybe it'll be a way of self soothing since she hasn't really found her thumb yet and hates pacifiers. We think it's funny when she makes the kissy sound because of it haha.

I think if you just check their gums to see if it's white at all where the teeth should be coming in? My LO has been drooling and sucking on her hands but I don't see any white yet. I think I also read that they can run a low fever and may have problems eating and sleeping when teething is happening. 
  • I would just input that DS's gums never turned white with teething. His first teeth started moving around two months old and didn't break through until six months. One of the things I did was feel them. Sometimes they'll feel swollen. Mostly it's the reaction I'd get when I touched where he was teething. It's either tender or relief.

DD has been doing this on the bottom. Days she's teething I can rub her gums and she'll just relax and stop fussing. 

I'd imagine the lip thing is partly soothing and partly discovery. DD has been figuring out her tongue the last few weeks and it's pretty entertaining to watch.
  • Loading the player...
  • Same here, I think it's discovery!
  • My lo does it too and she sticks her tongue out also like she's  licking her lip while sucking it in at the same time. Hope it doesn't last long I don't want her getting that dry red ring around her mouth