October 2016 Moms
Options

Nyquil?

Ive been battling a horrible cold for a few days now and finally broke down last night... My Dr. Office gave out a list of things that are ok to take and on there was Nyquil... i was a little surprised but needed something so I took half a dose... anyone else taken this while pregnant? Of course im just psyching myself out now!

Re: Nyquil?

• Options
    The ingredients in NyQuil are mainly benign during pregnancy: Tylenol (acetaminophen), Dextromethorphan (cough suppressant), and Doxylamine succinate (same as Unisom). I assume what you're worried about is the alcohol content in the liquid form? There really isn't that much alcohol in it, but if you are concerned, you could always opt for the gel caps that don't have any added alcohol.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    I had a terrible cold and took pseudoephedrine, dextromethorphan, and guafenesin under my doctor's okay - actually I took them in moderation and they didn't seem to help so I gave up after a dose or two. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not so much the alcohol as the sedative effect and what that might do to baby... im sure its ok but of course in the moment i needed some relief and then this morning im a nervous wreck lol
  • Options
    Hi my dr told me to take Benadryl when I couldn't sleep, she said when she was pregnant she drank it every night. 
  • Options
    I love nyquil, but dextromorphan is a Category C drug, so I didn't take it when I got a terrible cold, but ended up getting doxylamine succinate instead (Category A), as it's an ant-histamine and was targeting what I wanted anyway. You can find it as "unisom" (but be sure to read the label because not all unisom's active ingredients are the doxylamine succinate) under the sleeping-aid aisle. 

hang in there. my cold made me feel like I was dying, right in the middle of my first trimester. 

WORF: I did not come here to admire the scenery. 
    DAX: If you say so. I guess we should just go home. 
    WORF: Well maybe. I would not be so hasty. 
    DAX: I take it the scenery has improved? 
    WORF: A few months ago, when I was commanding the Defiant on a scouting mission in the Gamma Quadrant, we encountered a protostar cluster, a swirling mass of colour set against a background of glowing clouds and burning sky. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, until now. 
    DAX: I've got to take you on vacation more often. 

• Options
    von1976von1976 member
    edited March 2016
    I love nyquil, but dextromorphan is a Category C drug, so I didn't take it when I got a terrible cold, but ended up getting doxylamine succinate instead (Category A), as it's an ant-histamine and was targeting what I wanted anyway. You can find it as "unisom" (but be sure to read the label because not all unisom's active ingredients are the doxylamine succinate) under the sleeping-aid aisle. 

hang in there. my cold made me feel like I was dying, right in the middle of my first trimester. 
    Category C is not as scary as everyone makes it sound. It means that adequate human studies have not been performed, which is not unusual because it's unethical to perform studies on pregnant women. It can also mean that animal studies were performed and have shown adverse effects.

In the case of dextromethorphan (not dextromorphan), animal studies done on chick embryos showing harm to development have been contradicted with studies looking at real-world usage of the drug in humans while pregnant, which show no increase in the risk of birth defects with use. I have found some things online that say that it's teratogenic, but I wonder if these haven't been updated after the study of 2001, or maybe they are waiting on a follow-up study. But really, it looks pretty safe.

If you're unsure, however, follow your doctor's advice.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    I took Nyquil a few times while pregnant because I was given the green light. Full doses, no issues here.
  • Options
    I took it before I knew I was expecting and told Doctor.  She told me not to take it anymore. Guess everyone and dr has their own opinions.