1st Trimester

Salicylic acid in shampoo

I know you're not supposed to use it on your face but what about in other products? I use Redken color shampoo and just noticed this as an ingredient in it today.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Salicylic acid in shampoo

• If suggest asking your dr this. Or switching products until you get an answer. I don't know if you should use it on your hair since it will get in your scalp if you are supposed to avoid it in face wash I'd think shampoo is probably a good idea to avoid. I'm a firm believer in trusting your OB so either call them or your nurse line to see what they say. 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• I've had a hard time getting info on this topic so I would ask your doc. Most of the studies that indicate you shouldn't use salicylic acid during pregnancy are referring to taking it orally... It can be found in aspirin products which are usually a no no unless actually prescribed by a doc. The amount used topically has so little amount actually absorbed into the skin/blood stream- I've read some articles saying that using a dab here and there is safe during pregnancy for pimples.... Using it on a scalp presents a slightly higher area being covered- but you're also rinsing it out. I'd say, if you can switch shampoos go for it, incredibly doubtful it's caused any harm this far... Probably not worth you worrying about it so switch for something that doesn't have it in there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had to really think if it was THAT big of a deal if I didn't change any of my hygiene products for pregnancy. I use the same shampoos/conditioners I've always used, same body wash, face wash, toothpaste, deodorant, and even topical blemish cream. 

It all depends on how much of a bubble you want to live life in for the next 9 months. Lol. I chose no bubble, but to make wise choices when necessary. To each his own....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I use SA lotion on my arms, my doctor said it was completely fine topically.
    Awesome Kid #1: Born September 2013!
    Awesome Kid #2: Due November 2016!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Check with your OB.

Mine previously told me that using my face cleanser was just fine.  It wasn't a large amount that was being absorbed through the skin and most was immediately washed off.  The bigger concern is when it is ingested orally.

• I should edit my message I personally can't do these products because I now get rashes and chemical like burns as oregnancy has given me super sensative skin. If it works for you and you are comfortable with it go for it. If you aren't switch :) kill the bubble ! 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• I didn't change any of my beauty/hair care product due to pregnancy.  We really aren't as fragile as we're made out to be.
    I did start getting very oily hair, so I switched to a clear shampoo that wasn't moisturizing, and it immediately helped. But I can't say I even glanced at the ingredients.