January 2016 Moms
Options

Rolling over

My little one is 10 weeks now and actively trying to roll over from back to tummy. She manages to easily roll to her side but can't quite make it over yet. It's really cute to watch! Any of your little ones rolling over yet?

Re: Rolling over

• Options
    Mine is 8 weeks and can also sometimes get from his back to his side.  He still hasn't made it all the way thankfully.  I'm not ready to give up the swaddle!
  • Options
    Mine rolled once from tummy to back at six weeks and sometimes gets to her side going both ways but has not quite gone over yet. I'm looking forward to the day that she does but at the same time I'm scared when she will do it
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My little guy is also 10 weeks and doing the same thing! He can't quite seem to get how to get his shoulder under him. It's really cute to watch!
  • Options
    Cricket99 said:
    My little guy is also 10 weeks and doing the same thing! He can't quite seem to get how to get his shoulder under him. It's really cute to watch!
    Thata the problem here too! She cant get her arm under her to roll. Keeps stopping her!
  • Options
    @nackie I hear ya on the swaddle situation! I want to use that thing as long as I can!
  • Options
    Has anyone heard of or tried this? It's supposed to help transition babies out of the swaddle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0095YY7RY#Ask
    I think I am going to order one. My LO currently sleeps swaddled in his Rock N Play, so some assistance from that to unswasddled in the crib would be great (although not inexpensive!). 
  • Options
    For those of you who swaddle. DS used to and still does during the night sleep with the swaddle that velcros, the swaddle me brand. Anyway, we are trying to ween him off of that too. For naps we've been putting him in a cotton or fleece blanket and not wrapping him too tight. That way, he can wiggle a little bit and get used to being more "free" if you will. He would break his arms out of it and still be content enough to sleep. We can't go full un-swaddle just yet, his arms are to floppy all over the place, but we're getting there. 

I I say we do that kind of wrap for naps because we can check him frequently. I worry that if we did that loose of a wrap at night the blanket could get over his face. 
  • Options
    mamadcb said:
    Has anyone heard of or tried this? It's supposed to help transition babies out of the swaddle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0095YY7RY#Ask
    I think I am going to order one. My LO currently sleeps swaddled in his Rock N Play, so some assistance from that to unswasddled in the crib would be great (although not inexpensive!). 
    I used the sleep suit with my son when transitioning him out of the swaddle. It worked so well. We actually probably used it until he was 6 months old. He hadn't rolled back to stomach at that point yet and it was winter so it kept him warm. 

He looked like hilarious in it, like the kids from Thomas' snowsuit. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mamadcb said:
    We used this for DS1. He was such a terrible sleeper. First night in this he slept 8 hours, which he had never done before. I will never forget that. It wasn't quite as great after that but he definitely slept better with it than without. The only thing I would say is that it is hot. We were using it in Jan/Feb with my first child, so I am not sure how it would be in warmer weather.
  • Options
    @katiedid0907 and @thoughtfulmommy did you use the fleece or the cotton one? Given that it's Spring already and only getting warmer I was planning to get the cotton, but it may still be a little warm. Good thing it cools down at night here. 
  • Options
    kaym6kaym6 member
    My little guy has very little interest in rolling over so far. He's 11 weeks. He almost rolled tummy to back a couple times but I think that's just because he hates tummy time so much. At this rate I'll have the option to swaddle him well into middle school hahaha 
  • Options
    My guy has been trying to roll from tummy to back for a while. From about 1 week he's been able to go from back to side and then gets so upset! At his 2 month appointment, his pedi was surprised that he was consistently rolling from tummy to back. She said he'll probably be early to roll onto his belly as well.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    My daughter is able to roll from tummy to back, and has been for a couple weeks. Sometimes she can't get it though, and when that happens it seriously looks like she's trying to crawl.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have twins and my baby girl rolled over at ten weeks. My son is still struggling with tummy time. Just shows you every baby is different and develops at their own pace. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My sister swears by the "fat suit" for her 4 month old, so much so that my mom ordered one for us. 
  • Options
    Blake rolled over around 5 weeks and has been consistently doing it ever since. Aria can get to her side, but gets stuck.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @mamadcb when I bought the Merlins Magic Sleepsuit over 2 years ago I think they only had it in fleece. cotton would probably be better for spring/summer. Although part of how it works is that is kind of weights the baby down so I can't speak to whether the cotton one works as well.
  • Options
    @nackie I am in the same boat! We are 8 weeks and nowhere close to being ready for bedtime without the swaddle! 
  • Options
    @mamadcb that's an interesting idea about that sleep suit! Definitely a "transition out of the swaddle" possibility. I'm going to have to read more about them. Thanks for the idea!
  • Options
    I bought the cotton version of the sleep suit and we're trying it tonight! He'll still be in our room but in the co-sleeper instead of his Rock N Play. I didn't think we'd be able to use it already but we learned on Tues that he's already 13lb 4oz so he's well within the 12-18 lb range indicated. I'll report back!
  • Options
    No rolling here either but he will angry scoot during tummy time. 
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • Options
    9 weeks, not even close to rolling over, but I'm sure she'd love to. :) very good at scooting and squirming 
  • Options
    11 1/2 weeks no rolling over but moves from one end of the crib to the other.

Am I supposed to stop doing sleep sack when she can roll or just stop with a traditional swaddle?
  • Options
    My body is a twat waffle. I'm just not feeling well. I've been getting light headed since I had the baby and that's getting worse. By mid day I've had a belly ache the past 3 days. I'm feeling weak, dehydrated and fatigued. I'm so exhausted.
  • Options
    @ChrissyD1203 you can do sleep sack if the arms are out once they start rolling. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    No rolling yet, but she can legit scoot herself from one end of the crib to the other. Only when she's mad though lol.
    YES! About once or twice a week, when we go to get LO out of his pack and play for his night feeding, we find him sideways or scooted down to the end.  Finding him sideways the other night made me laugh.  I am thinking it's time to put him in a sleep sack with arms out, just in case god forbid he makes it over onto his side. We are still swaddling, and I'm not even sure how he managed to get in that position. 
  • Options
    mamadcb said:
    I bought the cotton version of the sleep suit and we're trying it tonight! He'll still be in our room but in the co-sleeper instead of his Rock N Play. I didn't think we'd be able to use it already but we learned on Tues that he's already 13lb 4oz so he's well within the 12-18 lb range indicated. I'll report back!
    Well the weather has thwarted my sleep suit attempts so far. It's just been too warm to put him in it in the evening. In the morning when it's cooler I've used it for naps, though, and that's going all right. His nap lengths are inconsistent so it's hard to say if he's sleeping longer with it. 
  • Options
    mamadcb said:
    Yes, we have this. I've used it a couple of times for a nap but I realized I was trying to do too many changes at once. She was formerly sleeping swaddled in a rock'n'play. Now I've got her sleeping swaddled in her bassinet and in a week I'm going to try switching to this. She's 12 weeks today and so far does tummy to back and back to shoulder but has no interest in rolling all the way over (hates tummy time). So I figure I have a little time to make the transition out of the swaddle. But I really like the Merlin suit; she seems super comfy in it but does still startle a little but not enough to wake herself up.

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
    Married DH: 2013
    DD: Dec 2015
    BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    I'm pretty sure Brynlee is never going to roll over, crawl, etc because the poor thing still can't lay on her belly because of her terrible AR. She screams when she's on her tummy and as soon as we pick her up she starts burping and it's a guarantee she will spit up...