Babies on the Brain

Baby fever and no AF

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about getting off the birth control pill. DH and I are not really TTC yet, probably not for another couple of years, but I have always been afraid of having problems TTC to I wanted to get off birth control pills early to get my cycle adjusted well in advance. I'm also just using the abundance of time I have and losing weight, getting everything ready financially, health-wise, emotionally, etc. I have been baby crazy since I can remember, but I was waiting to finish grad school (6 months ago) and DH is not ready yet (he's getting there!) so I'm respecting his wishes. I want him to be as stoked as me when I get a BFP.  In the meantime I go to baby showers for other people, read birth stories from other people, congratulate other people... ugh! All I want is a big ass bump already!

But... I'm having major Post Birth Control Syndrome. I'm 26 and was on the pill for 10 years.

I took my last pill 11/9/2015, had a consequent AF.
AF again 12/25/15
Spotting 1/20/16
Spotting 1/30/16-2/1/16
Spotting yesterday and today (3/17 & 3/18)

But otherwise NO AF since Christmas! I'm definitely not pregnant, tested many times and at doc's office too.

I know this might be perfectly normal, but I am still so worried, because AF came once sort of on time, and then just went away and I just have the strongest feeling that not everything is as it's supposed to be. Anyone have any experience/stories of how long it took you guys to get your cycle back?

I'm also sick of the post birth control acne... how long does that last?

Thanks guys, I'm a newbie here and would love to hear from you!
<3 Me: 28 DH: 29
<3 Married since 2012 dating since 2005.
<3 Golden Retriever girls (8) and (3), orange feral rescue tabby (1).

Finally TTC#1 as of 11/2017!
Thryoidectomy 2007, PCOS, disordered proliferative endometrium.

Re: Baby fever and no AF

• I had a similar experience when I went off birth control. It took me a few months to get regular visits from AF. I was concerned with AF not visiting regularly and asked my doctor about it. For me, it was just my body adjusting to the lack of birth control.

Since everyone is different and you know your body better than anyone else, if you're concerned and feel that things are not as they should be then you might want to visit your doctor. They should be able to give you a clear idea of what's going on and why. Even if it's just your body adjusting to not being on the pill any longer, at least you will have the reassurance from your doctor to put your mind at ease.

• It took me a good 5 months to get back to "normal" after the pill. At least you're getting this anxiety out of the way now before you're actually TTC. Good call on that one. Generally speaking, if you go more than 60 days without AF, it is recommended to speak with a doctor. Depending on your situation, they may prescribe something to jump-start your cycle, or may have you wait longer to see what happens.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for your replies you guys! In February I asked my doctor and she did some tests. She said generally, they didn't do those tests until you missed 3, at that time I had missed 2. She was convinced I was pregnant and did a pregnancy test, which of course came back negative. She hasn't gotten back to me on the results, I have an appointment with her next week (and have now officially missed 3).

Maybe you ladies have some insight into these numbers:

Estradiol 48 pg/mL
    Testosterone 56 ng/dL
    DHEA-S 174 mcg/dL
    FSH 4.0 mlU/mL

Thanks guys!
    <3 Me: 28 DH: 29
    <3 Married since 2012 dating since 2005.
    <3 Golden Retriever girls (8) and (3), orange feral rescue tabby (1).

Finally TTC#1 as of 11/2017!
    Thryoidectomy 2007, PCOS, disordered proliferative endometrium.
  • Mine took a while to start up again normally, too. Try reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility". It has a wealth of information, and I learned much more than I was ever taught in school. Got a whole brand new education at 30!
    Married: 10-2-2010
    Punk's birthday: 3-28-17