May 2016 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 3/17/16

Re: UO Thursday 3/17/16

• Options
    I am super into March Madness. I fill out brackets in multiple pools, I watch as many games as I can (even at work). 
  • Options
    I don't like summer now that I live in the DC area.  Here, it just means oppressive heat/humidity, too many bugs, and a 7 hour trek to the beach in traffic.  As someone who grew up as a major beach bum, I miss what summer used to be :(.

ETA: And allergies!  WTH to northern VA super-allergens.  It's unreal.
    Hey fellow DC area mama! I've gotten used to the summers for the most part-I'm just hoping that this summer we don't have a repeat of last year, where our A/C broke down on the hottest day of the year. That was awful!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @valerie4786 you reminded me of an UO.
    I wouldn't call myself a fan because I haven't been around them much but, I'm positively intrigued by pageants. I'd even consider putting my LO in a few. I don't know that I'd go full glam but, I think it could be fun. I grew up going to dance recitals and competitions all the time so the makeup, hair, costumes, and "attitude" are normal for me. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Options
    missnc77 said:
    No offense to you gals who specifically mentioned your nails (it's all in good fun!!!), but come on! I get the hair appointment if you color your hair, you'll be house bound with the baby for a while. But I mean, getting a french manicure is on your pre-baby to do list? That one in particular showing up on so many lists made me laugh. I like to think I'm girly and enjoy getting groomed, but I wish I had that time and energy to even care what my nails look like when it comes time for my due date. Kudos to you ladies.
    I personally have only ever gotten a manicure or pedicure in a couple very special occasions, like senior prom and my wedding. I'm planning on getting a pedicure before LO arrives because 1) I haven't been able to reach my feet in far too long and they need some help and 2) it will be a small gift to myself after all the stress and pain of pregnancy. After all, its gonna be while probably before I have the energy or drive to do my toe nails again! I won't be getting a manicure because I always mess up my finger nails, but definitely want the pedicure!
  • Options
    I apologize if I offend anyone with this UO, but I don't get "natural" or unmedicated births at all. I sort of compare it to being able to get a root canal without Novocaine, but since Novocaine has been invented I'm going to use it.

I guess more power to you if you want to feel all the pain, I just don't.
    To each their own!

I wanted to go unmedicated with my son, and hope to for this vbac (if LO ever stays head down) because narcotics/opioids make me very nauseous and give me migraines; certain medicines can also make newborns drowsy at first. I ended up in a nasty cycle after my cs with my son of the narcotics making me terribly nauseated, then being given anti-nausea meds so that I could stop puking to nurse him-- but the anti-nausea meds made him sleepy so we had even more trouble nursing. Once I started to get the hang of things, I had an awful optical-rebound migraine. I'd really like to avoid that this time around if possible. For the same nausea reason, I have had dental work done without Novocaine and it really wasn't that bad.
  • Options

I agree with @jparke2, I'll be getting a pedicure before due date, but not a manicure. I won't be able to keep up with my nails once baby arrives so I, personally, see no reason to have them done to begin with since they don't last on me.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

missnc77 said:
    No offense to you gals who specifically mentioned your nails (it's all in good fun!!!), but come on! I get the hair appointment if you color your hair, you'll be house bound with the baby for a while. But I mean, getting a french manicure is on your pre-baby to do list? That one in particular showing up on so many lists made me laugh. I like to think I'm girly and enjoy getting groomed, but I wish I had that time and energy to even care what my nails look like when it comes time for my due date. Kudos to you ladies.
    Along these same lines, I feel like getting a manicure is just a waste of time/money for me. Maybe my nails just don't hold the polish well, but I feel like anything I've tried in the past held for two days before I dented it, it started growing out, or it peeled off. I'm all for using the 5-minute buffing block and haven't painted my nails in at least 3 years.
  • Options
    Spylon said:

This isn't an UO where I'm from, but I have a feeling it will be here.

I don't like avocado, except in sushi. I think it's pasty and gross, and that includes guacamole.

I'd also like to weigh in on the bed sheets debate: untucked.

I also don't like avocado, but find myself eating it for some reason? Like avocado toast. Why I eat something I don't like, and that I am mildly allergic to, I don't know...

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    missnc77 said:
    Haha, I smiled when I saw those too, but what do I know? The last (and only) time I had my nails done was for my wedding in 2013! To each their own... I find it a waste of money, personally, but if it makes a mama happy then go for it :smile: 
  • Options
    swflJD said:
    I doubt it's an UO on here, but @valerie4786mentioned child pageants, and considering popular shows out there like Toddlers & Tiaras, I feel it needs to be said:  I find child pageants (or pageants at all for that matter) completely disgusting!  What the hell is wrong with people that makes them think it's okay to literally judge little children based on their appearance!?  Those poor kids are learning that it doesn't matter how smart or kind they are, as long as they're pretty.  I can't imagine a worse message to send to your child!  As long as little girls are taught that they should aspire to be beauty queens rather than business leaders and little boys learn that they should rate women based on perceived physical attractiveness rather than merit, it is going to be an uphill battle for all women in the professional world.
    We probably posted around the same time because my UO was exactly the opposite of yours. 
    I think there's a huge misperception of pageants because of shows like toddlers and tiaras. Girls/ women are most often judged based on interview skills, public speaking, poise, and talent. I don't understand why any girl can't participate in both a pageant and a science fair. 
    As I said, I participated in dance (ballet, tap, and jazz most often) competitions and appearance was definitely judged in those spaces. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Options
    @charla1224 I had a good friend in high school who did pageants and she was so...normal. I mean, not the stereotype. She was smart, nice, played sports.. And yes, she was pretty, but I imagine that was only one piece of why she was successful in pageants. So I'm inclined to agree with you, the media only shows you the bad (and by bad I mean BAD) side!
  • Options
    I guess this is unpopular, but I hate not having my nails done. Manicures last me about 2 weeks though, so it's not a ton of maintenance. I just hate the way my hands look without my nails done. 
  • Options
    Maybe this is an UO, but I hate getting my nails done, both toes and hands.  I like having my nails painted, but I'd rather do it myself.  It is not relaxing for me.  It is boring, and I HATE when they push back or cut my cuticles.  I haven't gotten a true manicure in years.  A friend just "treated" me to a pedicure and I was uncomfortable about 70% of the time.  I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've been getting mani/pedis for a long time so I just consider it part of my regular to-do, not really a before baby comes to-do. It's a small luxury I treat myself to. My friend who does them even said she would do house calls for me after the baby comes which I'm sure I'll take her up on! I never do the fake nail thing because it gets in the way while I'm playing cello (also, gross) but I love getting nail art! 

And @LadySamLady totes on the top sheet. I haven't used one in years, mostly because I am lazy and it makes making the bed a breeze. 

• Options
    JennyS86JennyS86 member
    edited March 2016
    Do you like the idea of having a "Labor Watch" Thread?  We could keep up to date with possible water breaking and contractions and hospital admissions and the like.  A bit different than the "am I in labor" thread...but might be too similar (and thus be an UO) in your eyes? Let me know!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    @bkjade the cello is probably my favorite instrument to listen to.. So cool that you play!
  • Options
    JennyS86 said:
    Do you like the idea of having a "Labor Watch" Thread?  We could keep up to date with possible water breaking and contractions and hospital admissions and the like.  A bit different than the "am I in labor" thread...but might be too similar (and thus be an UO) in your eyes? Let me know!

I've noticed on a couple of other boards people have started their own threads to announce they are officially in labor...maybe this will help cut down on those on ours? 

Also, do we have a catch-all thread for questions about symptoms in general? I know that not everybody is going to follow the rules and that there will still be a few new threads specific to that one person's symptoms anyway, but like I said, maybe it can help cut down on some of those so there's a little less clutter. 

#IsADigitalOrganizationNerd
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

My UO for today (if it hasn't already been said in previous weeks): I don't think we need a new thread for every little thing. We have a random board for a reason. 
    exactlyyyyy
  • Options
    SpylonSpylon member
    edited March 2016
      yogahh said:
    Spylon said:

I don't like avocado, except in sushi. I think it's pasty and gross, and that includes guacamole.

I also don't like avocado, but find myself eating it for some reason? Like avocado toast. Why I eat something I don't like, and that I am mildly allergic to, I don't know...

The baby must love it, especially if you eat it despite a mild allergy! I wish I liked avocado. You saying you eat avocado toast sounds so much better than my near daily Nutella toast.

Edited because quote boxes hate me.

Image result for green dog

Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP #1: 9/12/2015
    DD: 6/1/2016
    BFP #2: 1/16/2018 MC 2/2/2018
  • Options
    I guess my UO is I really dislike hearing about bodily fluids. 

I'm not saying they shouldn't be part of this board; I get that people need/want to post about stuff that's coming out of their nose, vaginas, butts, eyes, ears, and other places where fluid is somehow flowing, but I just can't. 

Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    Some of the to-do before baby lists make me feel like y'all are preparing for the apocalypse!! I'm actually impressed at that level of detail but similar to my thoughts on the birth plans, it would just really stress me out. I think I'm pretty laid back - I do like to plan but am still extremely flexible.

Maybe I need to think about it more but I feel like as long as the essentials are done (car seat installed, baby necessities purchased) I will still have help buying groceries and plus there is always Amazon Prime (and Prime Now in my area). After my first baby I was dying to get to the store and we went to Target waaaay too many times. 

My intent with the post about "Before Delivery" Lists was not to make people feel unprepared!!  I just thought it would be fun to compare notes - it is ridiculous that "getting my eyebrows done" made my list, but hey, I need the reminder these days!!

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    laurenmdrn16laurenmdrn16 member
    edited March 2016
    Now, THIS is a pizza. I don't like tomato sauce so for me, the ideal slice is thin crust, shaved parmesan, roasted red peppers, arugula, prosciutto, and balsamic fig drizzle. Perfection!

ETA: my picture won't load. But it is awesome, but I know not everyone's cup of tea

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    missnc77 said:
    I've never had a manicure but I've always had a pedicure before delivery. There's a lot of mess with half shaved legs and birth, it makes me feel a bit more sane.... Like I haven't completely given up. Lol 
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • Options
    I hate parking spots for expectant mothers. My grocery store has four spots for expectant mothers and mothers with infants. When I first got pregnant I was like when I'm in my third trimester it'll be great to park right up front and now I still don't feel pregnant enough to use them. It was slightly raining today so I parked in one and felt so guilty the whole time. So I use one and feel guilty or don't use one and then get mad when I can't find a good spot
  • Options
    I don't like summer now that I live in the DC area.  Here, it just means oppressive heat/humidity, too many bugs, and a 7 hour trek to the beach in traffic.  As someone who grew up as a major beach bum, I miss what summer used to be :(.

ETA: And allergies!  WTH to northern VA super-allergens.  It's unreal.
    What?! I grew up in DC and I adore it (and miss it terribly!). We lived right downtown and it was incredible. I walked around the National Mall and monuments every day, and you meet all kinds of Really Important People. There were some cool people in our building who really high up in big organizations, and for awhile I walked the dog of someone important in US politics. So much fun stuff to do there, I'd spend the whole weekend walking around and exploring. Totally worth the heat, pollen, and mosquitos :)
  • Options
    NinnyJean said:
    I hate parking spots for expectant mothers. My grocery store has four spots for expectant mothers and mothers with infants. When I first got pregnant I was like when I'm in my third trimester it'll be great to park right up front and now I still don't feel pregnant enough to use them. It was slightly raining today so I parked in one and felt so guilty the whole time. So I use one and feel guilty or don't use one and then get mad when I can't find a good spot
    I thought I was the only one! I feel guilty using them! I do not, however, feel guilty parking there with a baby to carry in. 
  • Options
    Spylon said:

Whaaaaat! But you also said last week you didn't like grilled cheeses....so there's that.
  • Options
    I'm getting really sick of tipping people who provide shitty service, out of this obligation to do so because they get paid crap wages.  Babies are expensive, and I don't have the extra cash to throw out to people who are lazier than my pregnant ass.  If I have to give you the death stare to refill my drink or order my food, I'm not tipping you above ten percent. 

~~** I Love My Boys <3**~~

• Options
    I'm getting really sick of tipping people who provide shitty service, out of this obligation to do so because they get paid crap wages.  Babies are expensive, and I don't have the extra cash to throw out to people who are lazier than my pregnant ass.  If I have to give you the death stare to refill my drink or order my food, I'm not tipping you above ten percent. 

My first ever job was a waitress (at 16 years old) so I know what it feels like to work a crappy wage and get $2 tip for a table of 2 adults and 5 kids! .....here's the kicker, I hate tipping also. I wish it wasn't an obligation in the US. Countries that don't have this unwritten rule, bless them. 
  • Options
    tgortney said:

My first ever job was a waitress (at 16 years old) so I know what it feels like to work a crappy wage and get $2 tip for a table of 2 adults and 5 kids! .....here's the kicker, I hate tipping also. I wish it wasn't an obligation in the US. Countries that don't have this unwritten rule, bless them. 
    It is important to remember that your tip is part of their wage. In the U.S., servers get paid $2 and change an hour. So tipping is very much part of something we owe the servers. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16