June 2016 Moms
Options

Gestational Diabetes/Glucose Test Thread

2»

Re: Gestational Diabetes/Glucose Test Thread

• Options
    Question!
    Have any of you done the long glucose test yet? I'm wondering if they actually draw a vial of blood for each hour or do they just do a finger prick? Just asking because I have a feeling I'll have to take the long test and for my challenge they couldn't get a good vein and ended up just pricking my finger, which wasn't so bad for this needle phobic.
    The last time I did my 3 hour they did a vial of blood after each hour. They had difficultly getting a vein on me too and had to stick me in the same spot each time except for once on the back of my hand.
    Thanks for replying! I like knowing ahead of time what to expect, although I did just get a phone call from my doctors office saying my glucose was normal at the 1hour so I won't have to take the long test. Thanks again though!
  • Options
    Juuuust found out that I failed my 1 hr test that I took yesterday. I got a 142 and they want a 130 or lower. So I'm doing the 3 hr (it's really 4) next Tuesday. 

Has anyone heard of anything to "help" pass the 3 hr or is it one of those it is what it is deals? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Juuuust found out that I failed my 1 hr test that I took yesterday. I got a 142 and they want a 130 or lower. So I'm doing the 3 hr (it's really 4) next Tuesday. 

Has anyone heard of anything to "help" pass the 3 hr or is it one of those it is what it is deals? 
    It is what it is. Although I'm curious as to why anyone would want to essentially try and "cheat the system" for this? 
    Good point. I just really. Really. Don't want to have GD. 

Edited to add: I think I was just wondering if there are like foods or drinks that I should lay off of well before the actual test, more or less to flush my system of the sh*t I've been eating lately. But I think you're right, it is what it is. 

• Options

It is what it is. Although I'm curious as to why anyone would want to essentially try and "cheat the system" for this? 

Edited to add: I think I was just wondering if there are like foods or drinks that I should lay off of well before the actual test, more or less to flush my system of the sh*t I've been eating lately. But I think you're right, it is what it is. 
    It's impossible to actually cheat if you really have GD. They give you that drink and your blood sugar either spikes or it doesn't. Then they check to see if it falls normally or stays high. Whatever you are last week won't matter. Blood sugar changes every hour of the day and only pertains to what you recently had 
  • Options

Carbs and anything high in sugars. More water, obviously ;) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @lindsaynewbride10 I failed my 1 hour on a Monday (not sure by how much; they didn't give me numbers), and took the 3 hour on a Friday. I couldn't/didn't change my eating habits in less than 4 days, and I passed the 3 hour. I understand where you're coming from. I was really freaked out about taking the long test (and potentially not passing it), but, for better or worse, it's definitely an it-is-what-it-is kind of thing.
  • Options
    @lindsaynewbride10 I failed my 1 hour on a Monday (not sure by how much; they didn't give me numbers), and took the 3 hour on a Friday. I couldn't/didn't change my eating habits in less than 4 days, and I passed the 3 hour. I understand where you're coming from. I was really freaked out about taking the long test (and potentially not passing it), but, for better or worse, it's definitely an it-is-what-it-is kind of thing.
    Thank you for responding- yep you're right it's just one of those things. Fingers crossed for a pass on Tuesday! We'll see.

• Options
    BabyboyS2016BabyboyS2016 member
    edited March 2016

It's really not a big deal. I was freaking out with my diagnosis, but truly it's additional monitoring and eating foods that are really better for your baby. Can't really be upset when you know you're doing something great for your child. Plus, if you do have it, eating better makes you feel AMAZING compared to how you feel when you eat crap. And, it's really only for 11 weeks. You can do anything for 3 months. 
  • Options
    @AshleyBKeen Just curious, did your OB/midwife specifically tell you to cut out coffee? There's no scientific evidence that it's necessary to completely eschew caffeine during pregnancy, so unless you have individual circumstances that explicitly prohibit it, I say bring back that morning coffee. Especially since you've had to give up so many other things!
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Does anybody else have an OB that JUST does the 2 hour test? I didn't get a 1 hour screening, just a two hour test. :/ I played freaked-out phone tag with my doctor all day Monday and yesterday (My OB is one where no news is good news and a phone call means problems), and finally the Doctor's Assistant left a message that said my results "were a little high" and that they were referring me to a dietician, and calling in a glucose tester at my pharmacy that I should pick up before my appointment.

I never connected with my Dr.'s office, but the dietician called me yesterday and said she had a cancellation at 5:00. She was able to get a fax of my test results from my OB's office. My fasting glucose on the 2 hour test was 96. My 1 hour and 2 hour tests were right in the middle of the ranges they should have been. 

Does anyone whose doctor does the 2 hour test retest? I think it kind of sucks that I didn't even get a shot at the screening and I'm one-and-done on the two hour test :/ 

So, basically, FML for my terrible decision to eat at the Cheesecake Factory with my husband the night before my glucose test. So we had the appointment with the dietician, and she had, you know, the same old advice for me. Eat better, don't skip meals, etc. etc. and I also have to monitor my blood sugar for the rest of the pregnancy -- which is probably all around goodness. Being forced to pay more attention to what I eat will be healthier for baby in the long run, and to will help me to establish good eating habits for when baby gets here that will help me to lose the baby weight faster. Having a highly visible disruption (like bleeding all over the place twice a day -- an exaggeration, but I HATE needles and I really like my blood to stay, you know, on the inside where it belongs) in the workplace will help to ease concerns associated with me being hyper-attentive to what I'm eating and when and ducking out of meetings to make sure I don't miss lunch. And I do have a bad habit of not eating breakfast (and sometimes lunch) when things get hectic and crazy.

But it still sucks. I've always been a big girl and so I've done the calorie-counting, carb-watching song-and-dance off and on for basically my entire life. I hate myself and my life when I'm doing it, because every thing I do becomes ran by food. Want to meet up with a friend to catch up? The café better have hot tea. Want to chat over lunch? Better go somewhere that has salads. Want to go see a movie? No popcorn for me, thanks, just a bottle of water. Oh you brought in doughnuts for the office? No thanks, I'll just be over here drowning in a puddle of my own saliva thinking happy Boston cream related wish-dreams.

I know it's pathetic and selfish, but I've already given up so many things that make me happy and give me joy for baby. Farewell, social glasses of beloved white wine. See you in June, delicious Sushi. Sorry, Sub sandwiches, catch you on the flip side. Coffee? Dear, sweet coffee, I shall miss you most of all. Now I have to say goodbye to bread, rice, pasta, chips, fries, crackers, granola bars, gummy bears, chocolate, cake, pie and Twizzlers, too? AND JUST IN TIME FOR DISCOUNTED EASTER CANDY!? THE HUMANITY!!

So yeah, I know I should be very very happy that this is just a small bump in the road, and it's totally manageable and will probably have side benefits, but right now, I just want to have a Viking funeral for the peeps and girl scout cookies I will no longer be able to snarf.

RIP, sweet and yeasty friends, RIP.

My OB only does the 2 hour test. It is the test that is recommended by the American Diabetes Association. The 2 step test with 1 hour then 3 hour follow up is recommended by the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists.

There isn't a range that you can fall in to for either of the tests. You either are under the mark and are considered a "pads" or you hit the mark or go above and you are considered a "fail".  For the 2 step test you only have to miss one marker to be considered GD. For the 3 hour test you have to miss two markers. Since your fasting glucose level was good. The cheesecake factory you had the night before had little to nothing to do with the results of your test. I do empathize, I had a fine fasting level and my 1 hour was good but my 2 hour I had to be under 153 and I was at 153.

I definitely panicked more when they talked about the risk of harm to the baby with uncontrolled GD. Like that it used to be a leading cause of stillbirths. And they recently lowered one of the thresholds because they were finding that women who had previously "passed" were still having babies with effects of high glucose. Plus, the education I received said that GD can get worse after 32 weeks. So it helps to start monitoring now.

I just keep thinking that it's only for about 13 more weeks and I've already done so much so far to keep baby healthy. This is nothing more than giving up alcohol and riding rollercoaster.  :-)

Also, drink your coffee!! Keep the caffeine under 200mcg but the dietician told us yesterday to go for it.
  • Options
    I had to get mine done on Friday. I went to Quest and at check in I told the nurse that I had fasted as I was told. We even had a conversation about fasting. She gave me the drink and then I waited the hour. Finally, I go to get my blood drawn... The nurse realizes she messed up! She never drew my fasted blood before the drink so now I had to go back again on Saturday and redo it! 
    I found out today that I passed with a 71 so that makes me happy. 
  • Options
    @june2016babyW : It was actually my fasting value that was four points over. My OB wanted it to be under 92 (I guess they are conservative, I've read online that other OBs will cut you off at 95, and some don't diagnose until 105), and mine was 96. My 1 hour draw was 126 (less than 180) and my 2 hour draw was 98 (less than 140) -- both passing.  I know you're right and all, it's just one more speedbump to get over -- and like I said there are a lot of side benefits. I'm just salty that I can't eat sweets. :P I'm glad my OB is conservative, because I'd rather take extra precautions and have a healthy baby than keep breezing along like everything is normal and have complications. It's just inconvenient for already cranky Mama. :P BURN ON, VIKING PEEPS. You shall be avenged. :P

@MynaBird : I still have one 8 oz cup of coffee per day at breakfast time. :) But I was a HARDENED addict before baby. We're talking like a cup before I leave the house, at least an additional 20 oz cup once I made it to the office, and then additional coffee throughout the afternoon as a required pick-me-up :P I mean. It's probably good for me that I cut back -- but I do miss sailing into Starbucks for a 2pm java jolt.
  • Options
    @AshleyBKeen your coffee norms sound like mine.  I hate the "nope, already met today's quota" feeling but it is a good break for my body.  If it makes you feel better, and I'm sure lots of people might dispute this, I drank coffee as much as I wanted while breastfeeding and my daughter was a great sleeper and never seemed affected.  So I know once this baby is in the world, I will be greeting frappucino season with joy.